Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How to get motivated and remain motivated while on the debt free journey?

Last post 05-04-2013 8:29 PM by cheapskate50. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2013 7:51 PM

How to get motivated and remain motivated while on the debt free journey?

sueellen wrote to suggest a topic, how to get motivated and remain motivated while on the debt free journey.

She found that when she was in debt and knew she did not like being in debt, she had trouble remaining motivated to save money and pay off debt.

She found strategies that helped her. These included making a vision poster, posting her progress in different parts of her home, listening to Dave Ramsey every day, reading his frugal blog and others, for inspiration.

Thank you, sueellen for introducing this post. You eventually reached your goals. I think you are a great role model.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Now I would like to know if you readers have tried any strategies to reach goals and what helped you to succeed.

Lori

• 04-01-2013 10:33 AM In reply to

Re: How to get motivated and remain motivated while on the debt free journey?

When we were paying off our mortgage, a chart helped to keep me focused. I would mark each month how much extra we paid and how many months that was saving us in payments, Babs
  • 04-01-2013 11:24 AM In reply to

I think it's important to leave a little money budgeted for spending. Also look for free or low cost entertainment. Living is a joy. We can't put off living for the time when debt is paid off. We just have to be sensible and develop money healthy habits in regards to what we find fulfilling and what we spend on.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 04-02-2013 1:33 PM In reply to

I gave up TV.   I still watch DVDs and videos, but without the adds and "reality" shows telling me what I "should" want/have and what my life "should" look like, it has been much easier to decide what I really want out of life and how I really want to live it including where to spend my money.

I also kept a spending log for a full year, and now about once a year for a month or so.   That way I could find the easy places to cut money first.  Then it got to be a game of where can I cut and still maintain a happy comfortable life.  

Staying motivated over the long run is a little tough so I try to enjoy the natural rewards of saving money rather than rewarding myself with spending.  Like I enjoy that I am OK for several years if I lose my job, that I have enough $$ set aside to help my favorite charities.  And without the TV habit, I have time to give to those charities as well.  It's gotten me on the library board where I've met interesting and well-read people (I used the library so much after I gave up buying books that I was invited to be on the board).

Finally, I try to surround myself with friends who aren't focussed on material, costly, things.  Some of them do have a great deal of debt and may not be thrifty, but none of them are judgemental about having a smaller/older home or car, or chosing to walk rather than drive, or cooking at home.  

All these things motivate me in the long run and support my journey.  I'm interested to see what others do.

• 04-05-2013 10:16 PM In reply to

Keep busy, throw out those sale fliers, focus on other things whether it be your kids, losing weight, a hobby, cleaning out your house or helping others. Plan for a splurge. Any thing from a dinner out to a pedicure. Budgeting is supposed to make you feel free not a prison sentence. Find the place where you feel comfortable.

I count my blessings and stopped a long time ago looking at people who have more than I do. I stop and think. I got out of the mind set of I can't afford it to I would rather not. For example, I would rather not go out to eat twice a week,  I would rather go on a cruise this year.

I am happy with what I have and I am what my daughter calls "happy about nothing". She is so wrong there I am happy because I choose to be.

• 04-09-2013 5:05 PM In reply to

sueellen suggested we consider how to get motivated and remain motivated while paying off credit card debt.

We have received thoughts from a number of readers. These include:

• having a little money budgeted for spending
    • looking for free or low cost entertainment
    • writing a spending log, this may help in finding ways to use the money we have
    • considering providing support for a charity
    • keeping  busy
    • focusing on other opportunities instead of focusing on buying something new 

Thank you for your comments. Your idea may suggest solutions for others looking for help.

Lori Blatzheim

• 04-09-2013 8:52 PM In reply to

The thing that helps me is my spiritual life. Things and certain experiences only bring a very temporary pleasure. It is like buying a new car and the excitement wears off after a short amount of time. The only everlasting happiness to be found is in the spiritual life. You realize those things won't bring everlasting happiness so you remain unattached to them. You can still want some things but being able to be unattached to whether you get them or not is the key. Happiness comes from within, from thinking positive thoughts, positive speech and positive acts and serving all of life for the benefit of the good of all. Some of the most richest people are the most miserable inside.... Didn't mean to get preachy but I have found this to be the only truth!
  • 05-04-2013 5:51 PM In reply to

Thank you everyone for your great posts.

Personally, I agree that maintaining motivation and working on paying off debt, can be very difficult.  

I have been impressed by your support and  thoughtful suggestions. These are really helpful for others.

Lori Blatzheim

• 05-04-2013 8:29 PM In reply to

lori I know while you bend over make sure you know who kicks you hard the collectors or the bank or is it uncle same. Well here is a tip to avoid the collectors pretend your not home and if its the bank well all they do is yank your house from under you so you can't run from them and the uncle same all he has to do is hold you by the ankles and shake you sill until he nickel and dimed you to death right in the pocket.

So do we go in anywhere well learn to leave in a card board box avoid going to the banks and stay clear of the ssi office or welfare office why government will know where you are at so the only shirt and pants you wear is a barrel to wear each day so pay up and pay out if you like it or not.

Cindy ---
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us