Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

*April 2013* Grocery Budgeting, Shopping & Menu Planning

Last post Sun, Apr 28 2013 8:40 PM by BargainBistro. 153 replies.
Page 1 of 16 (154 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 3:02 PM

*April 2013* Grocery Budgeting, Shopping & Menu Planning

April is here and so is a new month ahead to budget our grocery shopping & spending and start meal & menu planning. Please come and check in throughout the month with what's going on for you. Share your budgets & goals this month, sale finds, grocery adventures, meal ideas and menu plans. If last month didn't go so well get advice here on how to make this month better. Let's work and come together! Super-Stretchers & Savers, all aboard!
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: *April 2013* Grocery Budgeting, Shopping & Menu Planning

I guess we were all in a slump me I am doing 200.00 dollars this month my list I have to make out tomorrow.

chrissanne
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 4:34 PM In reply to

My budget for the month is $500. I should do pretty good on the budget since the freezers are full of meat.
    Riley
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 6:06 PM In reply to

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 17 2011
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

April already!!  I'm aiming for $300 for the month, but willing to go to $400 for our family of 4, including pet supplies, toiletries, paper products, etc. 

The main focus of the month isn't really food so much, but "food-related energy".  It's getting warm in Boston already.  Cooking *everything* from scratch means a lot of hours of cooking/baking/preserving...which heats our house unbearably in the warmer months.  Our first line of defense is solar cooking - we have the super-powerful parabolic dish for frying, sauteing, rapid boiling, etc.  We have a solar oven for baking & slow roasting.  We have 2 panel cookers for slow cooking.  We have hayboxes for slowcooking things boiled on the parabolic.  Next outdoor option is the Volcano grill, which uses wood, charcoal or propane - I'll be using charcoal 99% of the time, with propane as a backup.  We can roast, grill, bake, fry, etc on this.  We're selling our Weber grill, because we just never use it these days - propane is more of a hassle than I like.  So we can cook just about anything outdoors - it's just a hassle getting down a *lot* of steps to the patio.  But at least the house stays cool.

So that brings us indoors.  There are the crock pots, the countertop roaster, the toaster oven.  This year we're going to try using a couple of portable induction cooktops to replace the stove burners.  Apparently these induction thingies don't heat up, they use magnets to generate heat in the cooking pan's metal...this seems more efficient (and cooler) to me, so it's worth a shot.  My birthday is coming up very soon, so one gift I'm receiving is the first cooktop!  If they work as advertised, we're going to put a cover over our electric stovetop to create extra counter space, completely elimintaing the use of the electric coils burners.

Babbling regularly at PeanutsAlmanac.Blogspot.com
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 6:43 PM In reply to

I'm really cracking down on my grocery spending this month. I have been looking over different areas of my budget, and playing with some reports on Quicken to see how much I spent on different items last year....my grocery spending was a surprise. I'm sure earlier last year I may not have been as serious about trying to stay in a grocery budget and had a "if we go over, we go over, I'm buying what we need" attitude. Over the course of last year I started working more and more at preparing things from scratch and buying fewer convenience items. My spending this year is much closer to budget, but I have still run over a bit. My budget is $400 per month. I was successful in March, I think in part because I knew it was going to be difficult as I had an extra week to provide for with the same $400 I budget every month. That tells me that if I am dilligent I can do it. It all comes down to cutting out convenience foods, minimizing waste, and planning menus in advance.
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 8:20 PM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

I am trying to keep things as low as possible this month as we owe the IRS. My goal for April is $200 for food, health beauty aids, and pet stuff. I spent almost that much this past weekend so I think I can do it!
    Lynn

• Sun, Mar 31 2013 8:59 PM In reply to

Looks like April will mean hawking my spending and documenting my bank account balance on a regular basis so I stay in and on track. My biggest goal is to figure out a budget and stick to it and try to see if I can spend "x" amount of money LESS a week (the "x" I still have to figure out)... and reimburse my savings for some spending I did at the end of March that was NOT budgeted for. March was not responsible but then again neither was the prior month so it's really time to take some affirmative action here on my end.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 11:03 PM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 13 2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

My goal for April is $50 for groceries and $15 for toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc (not including a quarterly prescription I'll need to refill). This should be do-able because I'm traveling a lot, and will only be home and meal planning for about two and-a-half weeks. I'm really challenging myself to stay under $50 though, because my freezer is stocked up pretty well. Some of my dehydrated vegetables are getting to be about a year old, so I want to use those up as soon as I can.
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 11:06 PM In reply to

I have $300 budgeted for April.  I have got to really concentrate to make that amount!  First rule will be to NOT take DH with me!

retired

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 1:39 AM In reply to

April 3rd I will grocery haul again. I will need to menu plan for April 1st - 3rd to work on using up stuff I have here. Today I was blessed with some organic fresh garden picked gorgeous greens - salad greens and kale. I would like to use this quick to ensure freshness - nothing like fresh picked food! I was also given some cream and eggs which I had just ran out of when I used the last for today's quiche and cream soup so it was a real blessing to get some eggs and cream too! I have asparagus on my use up goal and green chilis too... Then the mushrooms... mini peppers... cucumbers... tomatoes... ETC. - all great raw in an entree salad.

Monday - Ham leftovers, still deciding how & split pea soup... Trying to use the green chilis this day if I can plan

Pending: Salmon entree salads & cream of asparagus soup - this would help me use up a lot of the raw veggies on hand.... would be ideal for Tuesday. Wedesday I think it may be Mom's request. I may suggest a nice artichoke pesto shrimp pasta dish, if so then the asparagus soup would be good this night instead and I can hold of the split pea for Tuesday and serve tonight's leftover soup tomorrow at dinner instead.

Page 1 of 16 (154 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us