Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Oranges: Bulk Storage Help

Last post Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:40 AM by Cheryl. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 12:37 AM

Oranges: Bulk Storage Help

Has anyone had good luck BULK storing oranges? How much were you able to store, how did you store them and how long were you able to store them and still keep them good? I only have so much fridge space and would want to buy more than what I can store in my fridge. Can anyone help? The sale at my local indoor/outdoor farmer's market produce is still a 3lbs for 99cents for really delicious sweet locally grown navel tree oranges. I am not sure how much longer this will last and will be asking them but when it goes it's gone and it would be ideal to stock up and take advantage of the sale while it's still here. However. I won't know how much to buy because I won't know how on earth I can store them to last long...

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 11:54 AM In reply to

Re: Oranges: Bulk Storage Help

BB, Don't know how to keep them fresh for long term, but would can or dehydrate them. The price is wonderful. Do get all you can handle. AM
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 2:30 PM In reply to

Thank you Anna! I am hoping Violet sees this so check back in to see if she does and can help us. I do not can and I don't want to dehydrated them. My last resort would be to peel and desegment them for frozen orange slices which would be yummy treats but I can do that with 1 orange now as needed... and in the winter don't really want frozen treats due to weather.

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 3:29 PM In reply to

Oranges will last at least a month if kept dark and cool, if not longer.  check every few days and if one is starting to get soft, or moldy, remove it immediately, as it will cause that to spread to its neighbors.  a cardboard box, kept in a cool dark closet is excellent.  seperate the layers of fruit with crumpled newspapers.  I have kept citrus like this for a couple of months.  if the rinds begin to dry out and harden, the insides are still good.  heat and light are your enemies here.  I have kept oranges in a mesh bag, hung in a back closet for 3 months and they were fine. 

you could also juice the oranges and freeze the juice.  if you do decide to juice them, I would zest the peels first, and spread the zest in  a wax paper covered pan and let air dry, then store for future use.  you can also freeze orange zest to add flavor to future cooking projects or to add in juices and summer drinks (think some orange zest in an ice cube)

if you do get a large amount, i would suggest slicing one, and drying the slices, you will be delighted at the addition of one slice to a cup of tea. 

• Tue, Mar 26 2013 4:37 PM In reply to

Sorry, double post. Trying to make up for all the ones that didn't go through? Big Smile

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 4:38 PM In reply to

What Violet said. I wouldn't have any problem storing them in my guest room as the temp in there can get down to the 40's. LOL

Oranges can be frozen, whole or cut. They won't be pretty but their flesh and juice will still be good.

If you want the zest, it would be better to zest them before freezing.

3 lbs. for .99 cents?!? amazing deal

here they are on 'special' for .54 cents each. another grocer is offering them 10 for $10.00...seriously

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 5:53 PM In reply to

• gayla
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 5 2013
    • Posts 123

I get about  weeks out of them if the go into the root cellar

I dry them too got a DS who loves them

to dry grapefruit . lemons limes and oranges

fuits are died with the peeling on  cut into thin even slices . if only drying the  use a peeler or zester

fruit take 45 to55 hours to 100 degree or until brittle

peels require 10 hours at 100

leathers are the juice  

I do my peels alot they are great for cooking ..  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 9:15 PM In reply to

Thank you everyone. I went to stock up today and what do you know? sale ended in a matter of a week or so. It had been ongoing and goes for a few months every year.

The ones I was going to buy are now at 3lbs for $2. I bought 1 dozen and then got a few reduced citrus packs from the markdown area. Those packs came with tangelos and 3 navels. So I got about 15 oranges today (will not last long lol) and about 6 or so juicy tangelos (will not last long either). This is an average load here so it's nothing to try to store over. They will do fine like all small batches. If I see a good sale elsewhere I will get it while I can. No waiting.

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:40 AM In reply to

hi BargainBistro,

Welcome to Dollar Stretcher :)

If it were me I'd zest the oranges and freeze the zest, then juice them and freeze the juice if you wanted to buy a lot. As for the flesh there aren't many options without compromising texture.  That's a really good deal, I would be finding a way to store as many as possible in the fridge. If you are able to find a cooler area of your home, or a garage, to store even more, you'd have to take into account how many you and your family would actually be able or want, to eat in that timeframe.

I'm going through a similar dilemma right now with asparagus. It is always 3-4 dollars/lb in winter months here (Texas). Typical price when it is in season is 1.99 to 2.99/lb.  This week it is on sale at a local store here called Marketplace for 98.cents/lb. I went nuts and bought 6lbs, and there is just two of us. haha

I'm resigning myself to the fact that I just have to eat as much of certain produce when it goes on sale, and just look forward to the next sale.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do re storing them.  And feel free to toss a few through the computer to us. hehe

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us