Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Help Me Make This Meal: Italian Sausage

Last post 04-03-2013 10:27 PM by Sea. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-24-2013 9:13 PM

Help Me Make This Meal: Italian Sausage

I didn't use the whole link raw Italian sausage that I had planned to use today and now must use it soon. I'm looking for new ways to use it other than how I usually would. Today it was supposed to be cut, cooked and thrown in a lasagna but I went vegetarian with the lasagna and saved the sausage.

I generally would use it either in a pasta dish, skillet with veggies (especially peppers and onions) or in an Italian soup. Right now none of those are sounding good as this weekend has been Italian HEAVY and the weather is warm so I don't want to use it in a soup since I am lightening those up a bit for spring. Italian stewed tomatoes/garlic/onions/zucchini with sausage OR sausage po boys are the only thing sounding remotely doable right now with this week's menu plans. I would prefer something lighter though but I am not sure what. I wish I had a grill and could just grill them with some veggies and serve whole/grilled with grilled veggies but no grill yet!

Any good ideas on things to do with them that may be a bit lighter of an entree? Pairing them with heavy starches just seems a bit too much right now.

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 03-24-2013 9:31 PM In reply to

Re: Help Me Make This Meal: Italian Sausage

I will cook them like brats or smoked sausages. Or you can take them out of the casings and cook it loose. Jill
  • 03-24-2013 9:32 PM In reply to

Are you dealing with links or bulk Italian sausage?

Is it mild or hot?

I might precook the sausage and use it in a veggie fritata.

Or, if nothing sounds appealing right now, cook and freeze it. Then it'll be handy to add to sausage and kale soup, or in scrambled eggs, or on top of a pizza, or sauted with onions and green peppers and serve in your favorite kind of roll.

Don't know if any of that sounds good to you, though, or if it fits with how you like to eat.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 03-24-2013 9:54 PM In reply to

budgetwise:

Are you dealing with links or bulk Italian sausage?

Is it mild or hot?

I might precook the sausage and use it in a veggie fritata.

Or, if nothing sounds appealing right now, cook and freeze it. Then it'll be handy to add to sausage and kale soup, or in scrambled eggs, or on top of a pizza, or sauted with onions and green peppers and serve in your favorite kind of roll.

Don't know if any of that sounds good to you, though, or if it fits with how you like to eat.

Cindy is at my house tonight she likes the sound of your meal br.  Now we are both hungryStick out tongue

chrissanne
  • 03-24-2013 10:35 PM In reply to

Thank you everyone. These are mild whole link, 5 in a pack and good sized. Budget, Italian sausage are a treat here and I really enjoy it in all the ways you listed. When I get them I want to use the GOOD since they are rare and all the things you listed are very tasty ways to use them. I generally use them in pasta dishes, sautees or Italian soup with kale/potato/cream/etc - you know a knock off of Olive Garden's zuppa Toscana. I like to cook them right in there... not as healthy but SUCH GOOD FLAVOR. Cooking and freezing is a great idea. I thought of that as my last resort. Thanks for the great suggestions.

I am thinking I may do a sautee with some fresh greens and red onion or garlic like I have done with shrimp but with sliced sausage. I saw a recipe that uses spinach and mango and that sounded really good. I think those two would add a light and refreshing addition to it. I can serve with some nice veggie sides. That is sounding really yummy.

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 03-25-2013 6:56 AM In reply to

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, it will be tasty but with odd flavor.

• 03-25-2013 7:38 AM In reply to

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-17-2011
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

I'd cut open the casings & remove the ground meat.  If you're still not certain how you'd like to use it, brown it & freeze it for later.  As for ideas....I'm on a stuffed pepper kick - that sausage would be nice packed into cubanelles, with a zesty tomato sauce and a sprinkle of cheese.  Or perhaps a breakfast scramble with eggs, asparagus or spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms.  From the freezer, you can use the sprinkles to add a bit of flavor to homemade pizzas, egg dishes, potatoes, etc...so no need to use it up all at once.  :)

Babbling regularly at PeanutsAlmanac.Blogspot.com
  • 03-25-2013 10:19 AM In reply to

Thank you all very much.

I want to use them up here and may just splurge and do a Cajun fusion entree with them. I will menu plan them Tuesday regardless.

• 03-25-2013 11:43 AM In reply to

BB,my momused those type of sausages in a veggie dish. Similar to the one I was talking about when you were looking for latin side dishes without beans. She would remove the casing, cook the sausage with tomato, yellow squash, onion, and zucchini when we had fresh vegetables. I am not sure if you have fresh veggies for it or not but I may be a nice change when you have the sausage and veggies to use

I also remember her using it with pinto beans in place of ham or other pork for seasoning

• 03-25-2013 3:42 PM In reply to

JCR that dish, vegetarian style, has been a favorite of mine lately... now you bring up this idea and it sounds even more tasty! Thank you. No worries about fresh vegetables, this home is constantly an indoor farmer's market. Smile. I am blessed to have great access to fresh produce and I base all our meals around it so I am always well stocked. Zucchini is my favorite and I have everything else you listed as well. I actually really just love the zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and onion stewed together and the sausage in it sounds really good. Thank you again.

Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us