Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Crabcakes Maryland

Last post Fri, Mar 29 2013 12:37 AM by LifeofRiley. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:03 PM

Crabcakes Maryland

This is for Budgetwise and anyone else who loves a really good crabcake.Big Smile

1 egg

2 tbsp mayonnaise

1-2tbsp Dijon mustard

1-2 tsps Old Bay seasoning (more or less depending on your taste)

1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Blend the above in a medium bowl with a fork til all is mixed.  Mix in two slices of bread, without the crusts, cut into tiny squares.

Add to the mix one pound of backfin crab meat and blend til the mixture coats all the meat. Form into patties and refrigerate for several hours to set a bit. Fry in a mix of cooking oil and butter (or whatever you usually fry stuff like this in; I just like the flavor of butter in my crabcakes!) until crispy and brown. Makes about six good-sized crabcakes.

PS--they're called crabcakes Maryland because my mother got the recipe from Senator Barbara Mikulski of Maryland (not directly, I think she saw her on a TV show once! LOL!) 

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:26 PM In reply to

Re: Crabcakes Maryland

Thank you, Loveday. When my oldest DS comes to visit we enjoy trying new recipes. I want him to see this. It sounds delicious. (:
    budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:48 PM In reply to

You're welcome. I hope you like them! Big Smile
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:54 PM In reply to

Hmmmm I think I will make this for mom she loves seafood thank you so much for the recipe loveday.

Cindy ---
  • Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:25 AM In reply to

Yum. Thanks for the share LD and LD's Mom! I have never tasted Old Bay seasoning and really want to try it. I see it used for so many seafood dishes. I am sorry but i am not sure what backfin crab meat is. Is it something I would have to ask for at the seafood counter and crack myself? other?

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sat, Mar 23 2013 9:25 AM In reply to

No, you don't have to crack it yourself, unless you really want to. Backfin crab meat comes in a small plastic container, usually, or sometimes a sealed tin depending on where it's from; it's packed by the pound. We get it here for about $10 to $12 a pound when it's on special, and about $15 when it's not (needless to say, I don't buy it then!). It's got the same basic flavour as lump crab meat, it's just smaller bits as it's from a different part of the crab. Lump crab meat is ridiculously expensive, so backfin is the way to go for crab cakes. The person at the seafood counter will know exactly what you're talking about if you ask.
  • Mon, Mar 25 2013 10:55 PM In reply to

15 dollars a pound uh mommy would have to forget this on moms day imatitation crab cakes work.. Ld you pooped my pooper...lol

Cindy ---
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 1:09 PM In reply to

cheapskate50:

15 dollars a pound uh mommy would have to forget this on moms day imatitation crab cakes work.. Ld you pooped my pooper...lol

Yeah, I don't buy it at that price, either. And imitation crab would probably work just as well for this recipe! But when it IS $10 or so for the real thing, it's not too bad. You do get six goodsized cakes, so for a special treat (we only make them once or twice during Lent, and maybe once or twice a year otherwise, when my mom is visiting) that's a decent deal. :)
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:06 PM In reply to

I made it a point to look for crab meat when I was at the grocer's today. It was $12.99 a one pound can. Guess I won't know what Maryland crab cakes taste like anytime soon. Sigh. Huh?
    budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:38 PM In reply to

Thank you for explaining. I have seen that crab meat in the can. Sometimes it's on sale here for 8-9 bucks. I have never bought it because I had canned crab before in those tuna sized cans and hated it but I have heard those COLD section canned crab in the seafood department do not taste like the stuff I tried. I hope that is true because I would love to get a can sometime if it's tasty!

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us