Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Harvesting anything yet?

Last post Tue, Nov 26 2013 1:57 PM by Juneflower. 110 replies.
Page 1 of 12 (111 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:08 PM

Harvesting anything yet?

Today I harvested my first green onions, from 5 bulbs that I allowed to overwinter in the bed, with no protection at all.  The greens were over 10" long, so I cut greens from the outsides of multiple stems, so they will keep growing.

Today was also the first day I removed the glass cloches for the day.  It was warm enough that I didn't want the lettuce underneath to fry.  Watered it well, & we will have our first salad from the cloche garden tomorrow.  I can't leave the cloches off at night yet, & we are set for a few storms this next week, with snow forecast for one of them.

The parsley is growing, but not enough there to do anything with yet.   The rhubarb is up & growing, but again, not tall enough to do anything with yet.

• Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:41 PM In reply to

Re: Harvesting anthing yet?

I have enough cilantro to cut when we have tacos. I have been cutting chives for about 2 weeks now.
    Riley
  • Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:40 AM In reply to

• gayla
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 5 2013
    • Posts 123

have gotten some herbs and got some green onions ( those little guys are powerfrul )

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods
  • Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:42 AM In reply to

I haven't tried my green onions yet. I am kind of afraid too. They are probably really strong too since I haven't cut them in a while.
    Riley
  • Sat, Mar 16 2013 3:38 PM In reply to

Your going to make me cry,  long way before harvesting anything here. The snowdrops are blooming and the tulips are trying to get out of the ground. We have snow for Mon and Tues. Babs
  • Sat, Mar 16 2013 5:08 PM In reply to

Re: Harvesting anything yet?

I still have snow in a corner of the yard, too, but the weather hasn't deterred the onions, or the lettuce in the cloches.  We will have snow in the next storm again.

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:28 PM In reply to

Nothing yet, but I'm hopeful. AM
  • Sat, Mar 16 2013 10:27 PM In reply to

Still pulling broccoli from last spring's plants which made it through the winter. Turnips made it but they are hard as rocks. I have tons of dill but it probably will be gone by the time my fawncy Indian cukes begin fruiting. The green onions are, indeed, strong but they're so good in cream cheese on a flour tortilla.
  • Sun, Mar 17 2013 9:37 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Considering our lake is still so low, I'm tryinghard not to whine about the weather, but give me a break!  Snow?  On St. Pats?    For our area, this is the day when early potatoes are planted!  Next traditional day will be the morning of Good Friday.

The only thing I'm going to be harvesting is green onions from the pot on the sun porch and snow cones!!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:30 AM In reply to

Re: Harvesting anything yet?

grame, we are supposed to get snow today too - on St.Pats!

Page 1 of 12 (111 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us