Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frugal Easter Menu, 2013

Last post Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:11 PM by gayla. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 13 2013 9:20 AM

Frugal Easter Menu, 2013

I thought we had this thread going but I am not seeing one so...

What are you preparing for Easter's feast? Are you able to stick to a low expense on the fare?

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, Mar 13 2013 10:30 AM In reply to

Re: Frugal Easter Menu, 2013

My mom is bringing food with her when she visits in a couple of weeks and we are planning on cooking up one of the ham's for Easter dinner so that will save me a chunk of money. The rest of the meal will make-ahead items that are also inexpensive like potato salad, devilled eggs, salad and fresh veggies. Made add fruit kabobs and need some dessert. I'm thinking peach cobbler as one option; maybe a pie for the other option and will add in ice cream. I do not think the meal will be very expensive for feeding 15 or so people.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Mar 13 2013 11:52 AM In reply to

My sister is planning a pot luck at her house for the whole extended family. She asked me to bring cornbread & devilled eggs, so that should be easy on the budget. She also asked DS18 to bring his chocolate cheesecake, so he will be doing that.

Hannah

• Wed, Mar 13 2013 2:10 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

Pot luck. Ham (myself), kielbasa (sister) potato (myself), cole slaw (my sister), spinach salad, candied carrots (her mother in law) , rolls (my sister in law), deviled eggs, and a relish tray. I am not sure about the potatoes yet but they will be either crockpot mashed or scalloped.

I also have a niece who married a man who loves to forage for salad greens and edibles so if he does I may scratch the spinach salad all together. Easter is early this year so I suspect he may not do so well on his salad hunt.

Who knows what else will show up. We are getting to be quite the melting pot and as my family expands everyone will show up with food that is traditional for their extended families.

Deserts vary from year to year, I make a hummingbird cake and I suspect a couple of the others will bring lemon pie, cherry cheese pie and what ever they feel like, 

• Wed, Mar 13 2013 7:26 PM In reply to

We are my husband and I thought hard about this so hard we thought about skipping easter and passover so I thought what??? then he interupted me in the middle of me saying what said we skip out on passover this year and do easter with the family I have believe me for mom and dad this is a good boost for them and me we had a ticking time bom dropped on us last year and this not from cindy last year with the cancer thing and to mom in and out of the er so I think this mom gets a break I will be glad to skip the lamb and dinner and let cindy loose in the kitchen with easter dinner.

Ham

green beans with musrooms and those crunch chung king bits and creamed mushroom soup over it

mashed potatoes/mushroom gravey

salad

veggie plate

pie

cake

jello

or ice cream what ever people want cindy made all of it from scratch

chrissanne
  • Wed, Mar 13 2013 7:29 PM In reply to

Easter's approaching more quickly than I realised. I haven't made a single plan yet. Not sure if we'll have the in-laws for dinner. If we do, there will be ham, but not sure what else I'll serve with it. Will check back in this thread for ideas.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Mon, Mar 18 2013 11:07 PM In reply to

Ham, honey glazed and probably with apricot pineapple preserves, fresh rosemary, thyme and dry herbs/spices

Mini circus animal shaped waffle bar

Vegetarian quiche w/assorted fresh vegetables of choice and a nice elegant choice to pair with it

Simple spring greens/strawberry salad w/special nuts (either candied or fresh toasted)

Asparagus orange velvet soup OR creamy broccoli/cheddar

Giant fruit salad

MAYBE coleslaw or potato salad, not sure - If so I am not the one making it.

MAYBE crescent rolls or Grand's flaky biscuits (tradition), not sure

Can't wait for split pea soup with the reserved ham bone!!!

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Wed, Mar 20 2013 8:53 AM In reply to

Normally, I would be ready but this year, I have no idea.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, Mar 20 2013 4:17 PM In reply to

If DS#2 and DIL dont eat with us, we will have ham and turkey. I have a small one of each in the freezer. IF they eat, then we will have pork loin that I will have to buy or Boston Butt cooked like pulled pork.  She cant have ham or the turkey that I have due to allergies. Sides will be mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, raw veggie platter, maybe green bean caserole and a brocolli casserole. Dont know about dessert yet, nned to decide . There will be 17 or 20 to feed. Babs
  • Wed, Mar 20 2013 4:33 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I'm waiting to see what the weather will be like, but ham for sure.  Either on shish-ka-bobs or baked.  Deviled eggs for sure!  Just doing a wait and see for now. 

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us