Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

The commissary rewards card

Last post Tue, Mar 12 2013 9:05 PM by sissy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 11 2013 10:57 PM

• Nords
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 24 2011
    • Oahu
    • Posts 209

The commissary rewards card

Here's the post:

http://the-military-guide.com/2013/03/11/the-commissary-rewards-card/

DeCA started the program about six months ago, and it's now rolled out worldwide. It's similar to other grocery rewards cards, except that the coupons are on DeCA's website. You log on with your reward card number, browse the coupons, click on the ones you want to "clip", and that data is linked with your card account on DeCA's website.

When you get to the commissary cashier, you scan your card. The register reads the coupons on that card number, automatically checks for the items as you're rung up, and credits your coupons at the end. Just like a regular paper coupon, only lots faster and with less back-office infrastructure at the commissary.

I'm not an extreme coupon shopper, but I really enjoy this system. It doesn't replace paper coupons (yet), but it's saved me lots of time in organizing & tracking. (I also don't have to use a magnifying lens to read the fine print or the expiration dates!) I don't even bother searching for paper coupons anymore unless they're right on the shelf next to the item. I think that manufacturers are eventually going to cut their costs by going to electronic systems like this, and paper coupons are going to dwindle significantly over the next few years.

By the way, you don't even have to bring the card to the commissary for scanning. You can store the card number on your phone and give that to the cashier...

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the Military Family Finances forum

Author of the non-profit book written by military for military: The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement-- now on sale at Impact Publications. For more info see my profile.
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 7:31 AM In reply to

Re: The commissary rewards card

Nords:
    When you get to the commissary cashier, you scan your card. The register reads the coupons on that card number, automatically checks for the items as you're rung up, and credits your coupons at the end. Just like a regular paper coupon, only lots faster and with less back-office infrastructure at the commissary.

That sounds so much easier than the clip and try to remember to give the cashier a coupon way. Does it seem to be working out for most people?

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 12:22 PM In reply to

• Nords
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 24 2011
    • Oahu
    • Posts 209

AnotherBrandy:

That sounds so much easier than the clip and try to remember to give the cashier a coupon way. Does it seem to be working out for most people?

It's less than six months old, but there haven't been any user complaints in the media. As manufacturers realize that it's cheaper than paper coupons, I think they're going to move more offers to the website... and then people will really start using the card.

I really appreciate the time savings-- especially not having to flip through dozens of pages with a pair of scissors. I don't even pick up the flyers at the store entrance any more.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the Military Family Finances forum

Author of the non-profit book written by military for military: The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement-- now on sale at Impact Publications. For more info see my profile.
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:06 PM In reply to

I've had my card for awhile, but only just today started loading coupons on it. I found five on the site that I'd actually use. The only problem I see with it is remembering to write those items down on my grocery list before I go to the commissary! LOL But logging in and downloading the coupons was very easy, so I'm sure using the card at the commy will be just as simple. I'm a big coupon user, so I'm glad to have one more option.Big Smile
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 9:05 PM In reply to

Nord cindy cheapchic now cheapskate50 she does this with mom they go on base do the stuff then hand in the reward card wow its kind of neat to do and mom saves that way and no waisting anything in moms house.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us