Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How Much Are You Saving By Hanging Laundry?

Last post Tue, Feb 4 2014 1:10 PM by pmburk. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:34 AM

How Much Are You Saving By Hanging Laundry?

When we don't run an appliance, it saves us money but how much money are you saving by hanging your clothes to dry?

Do you know?

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:40 AM In reply to

Re: How Much Are You Saving By Hanging Laundry?

AnotherBrandy:

When we don't run an appliance, it saves us money but how much money are you saving by hanging your clothes to dry?

Do you know?

When I made room in the laundry to set up our drying rack, the utility bill dropped $20-$25 consistently. 

• Thu, Feb 28 2013 10:16 AM In reply to

• ogram
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 19 2010
    • Posts 99

I can't honestly say since I have been hanging laundry for many, many years.  I do have a dryer that I dry a few things about 8 to 10 minutes to reduce lint.  I have drying lines set up in each bedroom and 2 drying racks set up in my office so everything gets dried without the dryer except for those few articles of clothing that tend to collect lint. 

I am sure it saves me a lot of money but couldn't tell you how much.  We are on budget billing all year round at $80 per month, which usually ends up for only 11 months because of overpayment.  We started out at $95 per month when we first bought our house because that was the same amount of previous owner's budget billing.  After that first year it went to $85 per month and this last time to $80 per month.  I feel that with electric and gas hikes I am doing pretty well with what we pay having decreased regardless of those hikes.

Margo

• Thu, Feb 28 2013 4:33 PM In reply to

About ten years or so ago my DH did a cost analysis on this-figuring cost of electricity, kw/per hour used based on number of loads of laundry we were doing at the time (family of 2 adults, 4 boys, one in cloth diapers) and came up with a savings of aprox $30-$35 per month.

He picked a current model dryer (for that time) and went off the info for that dryer based on average use of 45-60 minutes (for each load washed).
    He did it this way, since we have never used a dryer, so couldn't do a direct before/after comparison - he was just playing around with the numbers, to see what different appliance usage cost on a monthly & annual basis.

Hannah

• Fri, Mar 1 2013 7:57 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

Your local electric company can tell you how much on average it costs to dry a load of clothes.

• Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:30 PM In reply to

• suzin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 24 2007
    • Posts 244

I've been hanging my laundry for many years....but when I first quit using the clothes dryer, I noticed about a $20. drop in my electric bill....I'm sure since the rates are higher now it is more than that.....there is just 2 of us...
    Nebraska
  • Tue, Mar 5 2013 11:04 PM In reply to

Don't know about the cost of electricity, but clothes hold up better, longer. No stretched out elastic, no lint from thinning fabric, etc. AM
  • Sat, Mar 9 2013 10:20 PM In reply to

• digginout
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 30 2008
    • League City, TX
    • Posts 265

We started line drying full time 3 months ago and our power bill dropped about $20+ per month as well. We have a cheap top load washer so it doesn't wring the clothes out all that well and our dryer when we did use it ran really hot and for way too long in my opinion.

• Thu, Jun 20 2013 9:07 AM In reply to

I'm know giving your laundry equipment a break will definitely lower your energy costs. While some machines are more energy efficient in their make, not using them completely will cause a drop in your bill without a doubt. Thankfully, I live in a building that uses coin-op laundry services from Mac-Gray, so I don't have to worry about hanging laundry.

• Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:09 PM In reply to

I'm saving wear and tear, allowing my clothes to last about twice as long. That to me is priceless. I save buying a dryer at all, needing to have a rental with the space for it, needing to move it. I save needing to use anti static sheets. Cost per use, or by a set amount of time, I could never tell you. But quality of life, air dried clothing adds a lot.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us