Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Desperate Man Seeking Help

Last post Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:26 AM by AnotherBrandy. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 8:28 PM

Desperate Man Seeking Help

Deep Dish Pizza Recipe. I have been experimenting with making deep dish pizza. I want to copy the DiGiornos recipe but can't get it just right. The DiGiornos Chicago style deep dish pizza was more like a pie than a pizza. It had a flaky buttery crust. So far I have used premade sauce and pizza dough mixes and they come out good. I make the dough into a ball and let it rise in the bowl for 20 minutes in the refrigerator. I melt butter and brush it onto the ball before setting it into the fridge. I coat a cast iron skillet with butter and press in the dough once it's ready. Then I add sauce a layer of cheese and pepperoni, i follow this with another layer of sauce , cheese and pepperoni. My last attempt had 3 layers and was nearly 3 inches thick . The crust isn't flaky and my attempts at making a top like a pie have been unsuccessful. The pizza taste great but I think there is room to improve in the sauce and crust especially since I am not making them from scratch.

It's not the healthiest recipe and could stand some improvement there as well. So any pointers or tips would be great.

Non nobis Domine non nobis sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 8:50 PM In reply to

Re: Desperate Man Seeking Help

Not having familiarity with the product you are trying to copy, this may be no help. Having said that, I have a recipe for what amounts to a summer squash quiche. Its crust is formed from refrigerated crescent roll dough. Hope this helps. AM
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 9:12 PM In reply to

Have you tried making your own crust? A lot of bread machines will also make pizza dough. The secret to a flaky pie crust is very cold water and very cold butter. Maybe doing that might help. You can also experiment with making your own sauce. There are websites that have copycat recipes of different favorite foods, maybe you can find the recipe for your sauce there. Jill
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 9:22 PM In reply to

jillibean:
    The secret to a flaky pie crust is very cold water and very cold butter.

How does that work ? The dough mixes say to use hot water.

• Fri, Feb 22 2013 9:23 PM In reply to

Anna Marie:
    Its crust is formed from refrigerated crescent roll dough.

Is the dough rolled together to make one ball before pressing into the pan or rolling out for the top ?

• Fri, Feb 22 2013 10:16 PM In reply to

Just separate all the pieces, then patch them together, points to center. AM
  • Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:23 PM In reply to

Pre-made pizza dough mix probably isn't made to be flaky. You'll probably need to make your own to get it to be the consistency that you want. Jill
  • Sat, Feb 23 2013 6:55 PM In reply to

I have Betty Crocker pizza dough mix. I added ice to the water and set it into the freexer for 20 minutes to lower the temp. I coated the cast iron skillet with butter and placed it in the fridge, and i coated my ball of dough with butter and placed it into the fridge as well. 20 minutes from now I will roll it out and press it into the pan. I will try to make a top today. Brandy gave me some pointers on how to go about it. She's such a Suzy Homermaker:) God I love her but she makes me fat lol.

• Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:34 PM In reply to

I did a quick look on line and depending on how desperate you are it may cost you. I am a very big fan of Top Secret Recipes and found they have Pizza Hut pizzas on their site http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Pizza-Hut-Recipes.html the recipe will cost something like $.79 each which will include tips on how they managed to get their recipe to turn out right. If you don't want to spend the money then go to the libary and see you can check the book out for free

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Sun, Feb 24 2013 11:13 AM In reply to

TW0EDGE:
    God I love her but she makes me fat

I do not choose to add as much cheese and other things as you do to foods.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us