Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Computers in the Classroom

Last post 04-08-2013 6:49 AM by AnotherBrandy. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2013 8:22 AM

Computers in the Classroom

The push to get computers into the hands of school kids is nothing new. I can't help but wonder at the value of the idea. Should text books be replaced with tablets and how will that effect our society and the way we learn to communicate? I read a book years ago on the subjuct, I believe it was called silicone snake oil.

Non nobis Domine non nobis sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
  • 02-22-2013 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: Computers in the Classroom

I'm okay with computers being used, but I don't think we should do away with books. My DD will be taking her state standardized tests on a computer and they practice weekly on a computer and I think this is all good. She also brings home a reading book every week and visits the library weekly or twice weekly and brings home books to read. I think this is a healthy balance.

One of my friends is a professor and one thing she makes it a point to give assignments that require real thinking. She tells them at the beginning of the semester, "I will not give you any questions where you can just google the answer. Let's face it: so much information is at your fingertips with smartphones and tablets. I need to teach you how to think and how to be creative." I think that's why using computers/tablets/smartphones all the time can be a detriment and I'm glad that as an educator she has noticed this and is using it to positively affect her students' educations.

My SIL teaches high school science. She also proctors SAT tests (among others). She says that the school system she teaches in no longer teaches cursive writing but the SAT has a section that requires the students to write in cursive. She makes it a point to tell parents (and her students) so they can decide how to handle it. Just one of those things that makes you go, "That's some craziness right there."

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 02-22-2013 8:11 PM In reply to

I looked up the author of Silicon Snake Oil and found he has written another book. I asked Brandy to order it for me today on Amazon. High Tech Heretic, I am looking forward to reading it.
    Non nobis Domine non nobis sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
  • 02-22-2013 9:17 PM In reply to

I agree with Treva ... computers in the classroom are OK, but I don't think they should replace textbooks, though I suspect that's coming sooner than later. I'm not sure about issuing kids their own tablets/laptops. I've read stories about kids in some areas being mugged for the computers they're carrying ... brings up some liability issues.
  • 02-23-2013 10:34 AM In reply to

I think we will be doing ourselves a disservice if books become obsolete in favor of computers. Technology is something we should be able to use and benefit from but we should also be able to learn for ourselves and have the skills to do things on our own.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 03-06-2013 1:56 AM In reply to

I love computers...in the proper context. My son has a substantial expressive language delay; when he learned to type and to use adaptive communication software on his iPad, he was able to show the psychiatrists and the school what we already knew, that he's actually extremely bright. That said, I don't think reading and writing on a computer is as beneficial to learning as doing it "the old fashioned way." Books will never be out of vogue in my household.
  • 03-06-2013 4:13 PM In reply to

I also place a sentimental value on books. I'd like to see folks contribute their opinions of pros/cons of books vs tablets, so we can have something concrete to compare.

Some pros for mobile devices: Downloading info to a mobile device would save school systems money. They can be cleaned, more important nowadays with the resistant bacteria that is often deadly. Teaches them skills they will need in today's workforce.

Some pros for books: Can't google, as someone mentioned; .....

• 03-07-2013 7:35 AM In reply to

The computer spreads information to us faster then books in some degree. But it doesn't mean that books should be replaced with tablets. The books have been an indispensable part since people knew that they should have a learning. Most book chains are still be operated with high profits and the scales are enlarging day by day, though we are live in a society that high technology developed widely. All of these tell us how important books are! With the develpement of the computer technology, teaching or learning on the net is a common thing for all of us.  As for computers in the cllassroom, we can't say it's right or wrong in my opinion. Students may get knowedges from computer that out of the books and their computer skill can have a improvement deeply. What computer release are positive energy for those who can control themselves. On the contrary, it is much easier to lost in computer for the ones who are in a confusion. In a word, what we get from computer is totally depend on self-displines. And books are our intimate friend forever!

• 04-06-2013 7:02 AM In reply to

Kids are going all over the world without ever leaving their school. They are using their computers. A school in California could be the most wired school in America. They are wired to the Internet through their computers. 

Thirty students are able to use the Internet every day. The kids are between the grades of kindergarten and fifth grade. The teacher says that it is hard to get them away from the computers. They do not even want to go to recess.

Conclusion is whether a thing has its merits then it also has its demerits 

• 04-06-2013 9:53 AM In reply to

Tutorindia, the children are watching life happen but they are not living it. Streams of information does not mean that the children are learning. Processing information, thinking for themselves and applying what they learn is needed.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us