Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Dehydrator Use

Last post 02-20-2013 6:50 PM by Anna Marie. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2013 12:53 AM

Dehydrator Use

While I have no interest in making jerky, I would like to expand my use of this tool. I use it lots for preparing foods for storage, but do not use it for everyday recipes. If you do, please share. Thanks. AM
  • 02-19-2013 4:02 PM In reply to

Re: Dehydrator Use

Fruit leather!

I dry apple slices, dusted with cinnamon, for snacks -- they get gobbled up so fast you really can't say that I do it to store them.I find that anytime apples are on sale it's a good way to get the kiddos to eat more fruit; we do pick apples in the fall, too.

• 02-20-2013 10:10 AM In reply to

I made these one time in mine: http://thecoconutmama.com/2011/03/coconut-wraps-recipe/. My food processor wasn't that great, so they didn't turn out as pretty as hers, but not bad if you are trying a raw/gluten-free diet. I have seen other raw foodie tortilla recipes out there, too.
    You can call me Anika. :)
  • 02-20-2013 5:59 PM In reply to

I have been meaning to break out my previously owned Dehydrator and see if I can make a few things and see how that goes...Note to self make a plan LOL...
    http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 02-20-2013 6:26 PM In reply to

Anna Marie, I haven't really used mine for much other than drying foods and herbs for storage.  I have found that sprinkling a little garlic salt on thinly sliced zucchini and tomatoes, then drying them crispy, makes for a fine subsitute for chips or crackers.  One hint is to first peel your tomatoes, the skin gets almost like plastic when it is dried. 

I am interested in how others use their dehydrators in meal preps. 

• 02-20-2013 6:50 PM In reply to

mtviolet:
    I have found that sprinkling a little garlic salt on thinly sliced zucchini and tomatoes, then drying them crispy, makes for a fine subsitute for chips or crackers.
    Looking forward to summer's fresh veggies to try this sort of thing. Thanks, AM
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us