Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Natural Dishwasher Detergent??

Last post Tue, Oct 14 2008 8:51 AM by Brandy. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 31 2008 11:43 AM

Natural Dishwasher Detergent??

Hi All,

I have become very interested in natural cleaners (love the great thread on natural cleaners here).  Over the past year or so, I have tried to eliminate or replace conventional cleaners with natural ones-better for our family, better for the environment and in many cases (vinegar, baking soda, etc) much cheaper!

The challenge I have is to replace the detergent for my automatic dishwasher.  Any ideas?  I have read much about the amount of chlorine and phosphates that are in them and how natural detergents are much better for the environment and prevent the release of chemicals into the air of your home.  But, the natural ones I have seen to purchase are really expensive and only come in small packages.  Anyone know of a great, natural, biodegradable, detergent with a decent price-maybe that I could buy in bulk?  Or is there anything I can make on my own?  We do have very hard water here as well and I don't pre-rinse my dishes so it needs to be more than just a rinse agent. . . I'd love any ideas you have for replacing this last item in my cleaning arsenal!!  (I know I can just wash dishes by hand, but I am trying to be realistic . . . they will stack up on me SO fast!!)

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

• Sun, Feb 3 2008 10:16 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Re: Natural Dishwasher Detergent??

I have used plain borax. I have very hard water as well, so I always have to use vinegar in the final rinse cycle. I think borax works because the main cleaning agent in a dishwasher, at least in my humble opinion, is the very hot water. It's worth a try if you'd like. I did switch back to regular, but I only use a little bit of detergent in both wash cycles. A side note. Consumer reports recommends using the Walmart brand of dishwasher detergent. Their testing foud it to be the best on the market, although I know it's not a natural cleaner, but it is cheaper than other brands and I don't use a lot.

Hope this helps, Kathy

• Mon, Feb 4 2008 7:35 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I have used borax and washing soda. I mix a cup of each. It works OK. Occassionly, I use the store bought. KInd of switch back and forth. It seems to work better that way for me.

Babs 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Feb 4 2008 8:33 AM In reply to

kabin:
    Consumer reports recommends using the Walmart brand of dishwasher detergent

You know, I tried the Walmart brand because of this report and I don't like it at all!  It is not getting my dishes clean at all.  I'm back to the more expensive brands, but wish I could find something else that works that is not loaded with chemicals.

• Mon, Feb 4 2008 10:28 AM In reply to

I googled homemade dishwasher detergent and found this recipe.  The rest are similar.  If you don't want to go to a green brand (here there is natures brand of natural/enviro friendly products) because of the expense.  The other recipes leave out the salt.  Some comments were that its left a film so they mixed the homemade half and half with their reg. brand.  

1C Borax
    1C Baking Soda
    1/2 C salt

Mix it all together. Use 1 TB detergent, and use vinegar as your rinse aid.

My Family's Interests
  • Mon, Feb 4 2008 10:42 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I will have to try adding the salt. I had not read tha. I do agree that it leaves a film after a few washings, that is when I go back to a wash with the store stuff. Babs

• Mon, Feb 4 2008 10:43 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I tried the walmart tablets and they didnt disolve good. Babs 

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 11:07 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

How many loads does a box of Borax make?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Sep 11 2008 10:26 AM In reply to

I use this recipe in my portable dishwasher. It works fine, but don't forget the vinegar or you get spots. Or you can substitute lemon juice for the vinegar. Also added to the recipe is 1 package of koolaide lemonade mix. I have been doing this for 2 months and have seen no difference between that and the commercial brand that I use to use.

• Thu, Sep 11 2008 11:04 AM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 1,065

Brandy:
    How many loads does a box of Borax make?

I use Borax for scrubbing powder (1:1 Borax and baking soda), sometimes handwashing the dishes or pots, laundry (2 T per load), and floors and walls, and other general cleaning, but I do not use it for the dishwasher. I buy it a WM and it comes in a 4 pound 12 oz. box. 

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us