Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Uses for Vinegar

Last post 08-29-2012 4:14 PM by Yvonne. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2008 8:20 AM

Uses for Vinegar

I know Pat is a huge fan of vinegar, but so am I and here's why. I use vinegar to rinse my hair after I wash it. I used to have a lot of build up in my hair even though I washed it every day. I have baby fine hair and it was always limp. I also had an itchy scalp and dandruff. Once I started using vinegar in my rinse water those problems all went away.

I also use vinegar to get rid of hard water spots on my kitchen and bathroom fixtures, in the rinse water in my dishwasher and in my washing machine rinse water. My clothes are softer as a result and my dishes don't have any hard water spots.

What do you use vinegar for? Forgive me if this has all ready been covered somewhere else in the forum. I just think vinegar is amazing and so cheap to use.

• 01-31-2008 10:01 AM In reply to

Re: Uses for Vinegar

I love vinegar, too! I even have DH using it. We use it:

1. Window/glass cleaner, diluted with water in a spray bottle. It works great on my glass top stove to clean grease.

2. In my washing machine as a fabric softener and freshener. It really helped with my musty towels that I couldn't hang outside.

3. In my dishwashe to keep hard water spots from forming.

4. As a cleaner in my bathroom for the bathtub/sink/toilet. We have soft water but scum still builds in the shower.

5. With baking soda, I use it in my sink drains to freshen and clean.

6. With colds and dry air, we run humidifiers in our bedrooms and main living area. I use a water and vinegar mix to clean the humidifiers so calcification does not build up. I wipe the outside with vinegar to keep it clean, too.

7. We run a diluted mixture in our coffee maker every month or so to clean and freshen it.

My dad has always used vinegar in a rinse for his hair to control his dandruff and itchy scalp. When I used to use a lot of styling products (pre kids) I would do a vinegar rinse to clear out all the gunky build up that shampoo leaves behind. My hair really was "squeaky" clean!

Erika
  • 01-31-2008 1:29 PM In reply to

" Because it removes the kitty pee!"

I never knew this, and copied it and sent it to my youngest sister who has cats that like to do this sometimes. Thanks for the info.

I use vinegar in my laundry for a booster to my detergent and for a fabric softener too. I use it in my coffee pot to clean it out and make it run fast like it did when we first bought it, I clean my bathroom with the All Purpose Cleaner that is on this site and it does an amazing job of cleaning my old tub and sink.

I like it in the wash as the sweat odors no longer bother me after using it, like they do sometimes when you wash something really dirty and you have sweated in it  it really cleans those odors out and they don't linger anymore. It also helps to remove those underarm stains from the sweat too.

...and may the Lord bless us, with all we need. AMEN
  • 01-31-2008 4:34 PM In reply to

I use my spray bottle of vinegar and water to spritz the bathroom sink etc for a quick clean plus instead of windex. Also I spray it in rooms to get rid of smells like cooking odors.

My Family's Interests
  • 01-31-2008 11:12 PM In reply to

I also use vinegar, full strength in a spray bottle, to clean and disinfect my counter tops. I think the only time I haven't used it is when there has been a stomach bug in the house. That's when I pull out the bleach and wash everything humanly possible down. Just to make sure. Otherwise I use vinegar.

• 02-01-2008 7:21 AM In reply to

I sent these directions to her and hope it works as well for her, as it does for you too.

Thanks for the info.

...and may the Lord bless us, with all we need. AMEN
  • 02-18-2008 10:27 PM In reply to

mamasjob:
    1. Window/glass cleaner, diluted with water in a spray bottle. It works great on my glass top stove to clean grease.

What proportions do you use?

Blessings,

Cindy

Blessings,
    Cindy
  • 02-19-2008 5:58 PM In reply to

To stop a bloody nose!

It really works. It stings like heck but it stops in a matter of minutes.

I keep spray bottles around the house diluted with water for all my kids to use.  If you need room deodorizer in the bathroom just spray it in the air!!!

Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us