Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

I have a question. Do you subscribe to a newspaper?

Last post 02-24-2013 11:07 PM by zohnerfarms. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-14-2013 11:59 AM

I have a question. Do you subscribe to a newspaper?

This morning I was sitting in the kitchen eating cereal and drinking coffee. I looked around the room, viewed the stack of sections from the newspaper, and started wondering how many people still took a daily newspaper.

I come from a family of writers and subscribers of newspapers in various parts of the States.

I have been spending time over a daily newspaper every day since I learned to read.

I now realize that a lot of people no longer take a newspaper. Why? I think it is because they can "get the news" from multiple sources.

News now comes to us in single posts online, on television, and on "dailys" that can be purchased at airports and stores. Add to this the number of newspapers putting news into Apps available to those with hand held devices readily available.

Please send your views. 

• 02-14-2013 12:32 PM In reply to

Re: I have a question. Do you subscribe to a newspaper?

We had our local newspaper delivered to the house for many years. Two of our boys were delivery boys from the ages of 8 til 14. Then they could get a real job.  We stopped this 2 1/2 years ago. Part of this was money saved, the local paper isnt that great for accurate reporting. Now, we can read many papers online. I occasionally will buy a Sat. paper or one if there is an article that I would cut out an save. Now, we have a local free newspaper called The Common. We pick it up. They have good news, local obituarys. The obits are free, the local paper charges $400. The news is more fairly reported, nmot one sided opinions. This paper is published one time a week. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-14-2013 1:03 PM In reply to

I have been a newspaper subscriber all of my adult life.  We are seniors on a fixed income but always felt the expense of receiving the newspaper worthwhile.  However when our current subscription runs out we intend to cancel.  The cost keeps going up, the paper is smaller and smaller, and soon they will start charging home delivery subscribers an additional fee to access the paper on line.  The final straw  that cemented our decision - previously when we needed to temporarily stop the home delivery, we had the option of a credit to extend our subscription.  Now we can only  have the papers saved up or donate them to the schools.  (My son is a teacher and he has never seen a donated paper in any of the schools he has taught.)   I feel the newspaper publisher is basically biting the hand that feeds them.   Okay, today's rant is finished. 

Ellen B.
  • 02-14-2013 1:14 PM In reply to

My family always took two daily papers when I was growing up, both morning and afternoon. Contributed to my reading habit I'm sure. Where we live now newspaper delivery is by USPS, a most unsatisfactory service, so we take only the local weekly. AM
  • 02-14-2013 4:00 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

We haven't paid to read the news for years.  We find very good coverage via the internet--more than we can read and very diverse reporting.  Our local papers/news are also available via Internet.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 02-14-2013 4:05 PM In reply to

LNBee, that is how I felt about charging for obituarys. The $400 is just for a basic, if you want  a picture or another one after the funeral, they just charge more and more. For years, they were free. Now a lot of people just dont do one. With Facebook and the free weekly paper, the word gets out. It was interesting that two promiment people in town died and the familys didnt do an obit. People complained so much to the paper that they ended up doing article with picture about the person death. Free, That is my rant for the day. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-14-2013 6:14 PM In reply to

I subscribe to the online versions of the NY Times and my local daily paper. Both limit the number of articles you can read a month if you are not a subscriber.

I also get the paper version of my small town's weekly paper.

I generally buy a Sunday paper, paper version, for the ads and coupons.

It was hard to make the transition to reading online, but we have a lot less paper to recycle now.

• 02-14-2013 8:03 PM In reply to

Never have. My folks have always taken the local paper, but I prefer to read my news online (although I will never give up my books for an ereader!)
  • 02-14-2013 8:42 PM In reply to

Hofmama:
    Never have. My folks have always taken the local paper, but I prefer to read my news online (although I will never give up my books for an ereader!)
     Hiya hofmama

Lorie not any morre I did for 20 years Im lucky just to see the sunday papper and 2.00 each sunday thats not worth it but I get it to keep up on sales and to get coupons at the first weekend of the month then the rest no.

Hof mama I do pretty much the same as you do for the news and stuff.

chrissanne
  • 02-18-2013 6:13 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Yes we have one for our local paper  and two other area county and we have one to Gainesville  Ga  my MIL brought a live time subscrbtion  to DH home town and I get my home time all of them are mail to us ...  DH buys me the Sunday papers on Sunday and we buy any other papers and read .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us