Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

DIY Beauty Products

Last post Sat, Feb 16 2013 4:45 PM by rolo. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 13 2013 7:52 PM

DIY Beauty Products

I don't know about you guys, but I am a -major- fan of beauty products. I have a hard time finding one I like for decent prices. I've been drooling over Bumble and Bumble Beach Hair Spray. The bottle is 4oz for over 20$!!! Craaazy! I refuse to spend that kind of money. Even if I had it, I doubt I would do it.

So, I spent 2 days looking online how to make your own beach hair spray. I found a couple different recipes, but only one I really and truly like. But I will share them all because I think different recipes would probably be better on different hair types, along with my findings pro's and con's.

Oh, I also mix and matched my recipe XD Fill old hair spray bottle with warm water, about 8 oz

1. (Mine)

• 3 tblespoons of Sea Salt(not like Kosher table salt, but the shakers you can buy at a salvage store, wal-mart etc of Sea Salt is what I used)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoon of hair gel (I used Aussie. When using hair gel, I'd recommend using a good stiffening one with a smell you like. Mine came out smelling like my Aussie =) )
    •  1 tablespoon of Olive Oil (with the olive oil, I recommend testing it out before going crazy with it. If you have oily-ish hair, I'd say probably less. The olive oil is used to protect your hair from drying out due to the sea salt.)
    • After adding ingredients to the water, close and shake.
    • Once it's mixed, test it and tweak it to perfection. =)

2. Fill hair spray bottle with warm water, about 8oz. 2 tablespoons of epsom salt (I did not like the epsom salt. I found it dried my hair out more and left it with a very grotty feeling.) 1/2 teaspoon of Sea Salt 1 Tea Spoon of Aloe Vera Gel (This one I didn't try.) 1/2 Teaspoon of Conditioner Mix and spray away.

After using so many damaging products I like to do a hair mask every so often. Keeps it from getting yucky.

This is a personal favorite. 2 Eggs (I left out 1 of the eggs white and put it into a different bowl to use it for a face mask. Might as well do all my masks in one day!) 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil 1 Tablespoon of Honey Mix it all into a bowl and cover all of your hair with it, I wrapped my hair with saran wrap and let it sit for 30-45 mins but you can let it sit for however long you would like.

For those with really long hair, you may need to add more stuff. Mines not that long so I didn't have that issue. And there's some homemade hair products. I think my next post is going to be on my homemade powder, foundation and bronzer.

+The Fallen Ayngel+
  • Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:11 PM In reply to

Re: DIY Beauty Products

The beutey products no I don't need it but I do love the thing about brittle hair that I do need pretty badly Im going to take notes off you from now on....lol Thank you

Bronzer is this a powder I really don't know I don't wear it but I have a feeling since I am aproaching a certain age I am going to need bronzer aand foundation ..

Oh got one tip for you rice powder its from coty make up well pick a light shade and its made out of rice powder that I do wear just don't know what a bronzer is.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Feb 14 2013 4:55 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Thank you for posting your tips. I am using this one as a featured discussion.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Feb 14 2013 6:31 PM In reply to

Yeah!  Kimi figured out how to do paragraphs.  So much easier to read.
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 7:59 PM In reply to

Sissy, Bronzer is indeed a powder. A lot of women use it to darken certain spots on their faces so that when the light hits it in certain angles, it doesn't look as pale. Other women use it on their chest to give the illusion of a fuller bosom. Not sure how that one is working out for them.. But I usually use bronzer on my forehead, chin and a little on the cheeks.
    +The Fallen Ayngel+
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 12:23 AM In reply to

Oh and duh on my part geesnow I know thank you.. Tried the thing for brittle hair kinda makes it soft this was a life savor thank you again ...Smile

chrissanne
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 3:25 PM In reply to

I use the 'hairspray' my mother used. it is a bit old fashioned, but nearly free. A scarf!

I live in north texas and it is usually windy, often with gusts. I wear a scarf tied a little snugly, and take it off once I get inside a building's foyer.

I only do that if I'm going to a place where my appearance will really matter.. meeting, etc.

I am looking forward to learning tips from this thread. I personally only wash my hair twice a week (pretty dry), so unfortunately, I can't use hairspray.

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 4:45 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

My favorite is make it myself sugar scrub.  I mix white granulated sugar with a little baby oil in a cup or bowl. Then, stand on a towel on the bathroom floor and scrub away--wherever your skin is dry/flakey--but not your face.  Then take a shower as ususal.  This works as good as the pricy Bath and Body Works or similar brands of scrub.  If you want less grittiness increase the amount of oil--a drier grittier scrub would use less oil. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us