Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Slow Drain

Last post 02-12-2013 12:42 PM by Helene. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-10-2013 11:24 AM

Slow Drain

Looking for some suggestions. I have a bathroom sink drain that is draining very slow. Ive tried all the "home" methods that I know of.....vinegar, hot water, baking soda. Its still slow. Any ideas that I am not familiar with? I am not a big proponent of commercial products like "drano" (so bad for the environment) so open to ideas. Thanks!!
  • 02-10-2013 12:27 PM In reply to

Re: Slow Drain

It might be clogged with hair.. Alot of times  hair will get stuck on the stopper and make a big hair clog that you can grab with a pair of tweezers. I have a lot of experience pulling large clumps of DD's very long hair out of the drain because it is slow. We have to clean the shower drain about once a week using the tweezers there too.
    Riley
  • 02-10-2013 12:31 PM In reply to

Mine gets clogged with hair too. I use long tweesers and try to remember to clean it out once a week. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-10-2013 1:30 PM In reply to

I used needle nose pliers....that wasnt the problem here (I wish it was, easy to fix). However that works wonders on the shower drain.
  • 02-10-2013 1:33 PM In reply to

Take the drain top off in the tub and put a toilet snake down there.  If it is clogged up that may loosen the clog and get it free running again.  Otherwise you may have to call a plumber.  It could be tree roots in the main system blocking everything- speaking from experience here.

Sally

• 02-10-2013 1:39 PM In reply to

It may be clogged down further in the drain. You can go underneath the sink and un-screw the knob that holds the rod that goes thru the bottom of the stopper and pull it out of the stopper. You should be able to pull the stopper all of the way out of the drain and then run a drain snake down it. You will have to re-assemble when you are done.
    Riley
  • 02-10-2013 1:52 PM In reply to

Puut a snake down it sally helps and then after do your thing to it.

Cindy ---
  • 02-10-2013 2:12 PM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestions....I am putting on my plumber hat today, this drain to deal with and a leaky sink downstairs....I will report my successes (or failures, lol) later!!
  • 02-10-2013 2:16 PM In reply to

My suggestion is to remove and empty the s-shaped piece of the drain. AM
  • 02-10-2013 3:57 PM In reply to

One down, one to go. The slow drain is working like a champ now. I took the drain apart, snaked it out. Put back together, ran vinegar, baking soda and boiling water down it. Glug, glug, glug......better than ever!!! Going to tackle the downstairs sink in a bit. I know it will be more problematic, I shut off the water to the sink (its in a rarely used bathroom) before we left this last time around, found it was leaking pretty badly. Cleaned it all out and now to tackle the leak!! I will ascertain where its leaking first and foremost. (thank goodness for shutoff valves)
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us