Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Recipes with Snow

Last post Tue, Feb 12 2013 12:58 PM by Helene. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 9 2013 11:25 AM

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Recipes with Snow

If you  have fresh snow there are two things that we make to eat. Sugar on Snow and Snow Cream. Both are easy to make.

Snow cream--you need 4 cups of fresh , clean snow. 1/2 cup of milk, teaspoon of vanilla, sugar to taste. mix until it looks like soft ice cream and eat. I made this with eggnog. You could add other flavors.

Sugar on snow, heat maple syrup, pour over the fresh snow. ths syrup hardens up like sticy candy.  I have never tried this with "fake" maple syurp but think that it should work.

Sugar on snow is a staple at spring dinners in New England.  The kids love it.

Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 9:05 AM In reply to

Re: Recipes with Snow

If anyone wants some snow for this let me know I have extra I can send them!!!

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:39 AM In reply to

When the snow is fresh, it becomes our dog's water supply. She won't drink the water in her bowl. Jill
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 12:17 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Snow cream can also be made with evap if youcan't get to the store and don't want to use up the milk from the fridge.

Momma loves this because when she was a child it was the only way she got ice cream (great skill set since it was before REA came to her county)

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 12:22 PM In reply to

My DH loves sugar on snow. It is one of the things he misses from living on the east coast  and Canada.
    Riley
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 1:54 PM In reply to

make snow cones or chocolet or bannana or strawberry sundaes

Cindy ---
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 2:20 PM In reply to

Didn't Laura Ingalls Wilder write about doing this in "Little House In The Big Woods"? Sounds like fun.
    budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 2:31 PM In reply to

grame:

Snow cream can also be made with evap if youcan't get to the store and don't want to use up the milk from the fridge.

Having grownup in southern Arkansas which seldom had more than light flurries, this was a great treat. AM
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 4:37 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I sure several of you have more than you need .. DH  spoke to a friend  in NY they had several inches and offered to Overnight us a truck load  we thanked him and said no  but I did offer my snow ice cream recipe .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:47 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I guess there has to be an upside to having some miserable weather.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us