Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Dentures... Coping when the time has come?

Last post 02-10-2013 11:35 PM by sissy. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2013 11:25 PM

Dentures... Coping when the time has come?

If you have removeable dentures (full or partial but removeable meaning you are taking your teeth or part of them out at night or when need be) and some time and heart to share I would really appreciate it.

Unless one has gone through this process it's truly hard to understand.

It is NOT easy mentally, emotionally, physically and physiologically... spiritually or financially for that matter.

I just need to ask. How did you cope? get through it? get past it and move on so you could keep on living and functioning happy and healthier?

Support needed more than you would ever know right now. Thank you so much.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 02-08-2013 11:19 AM In reply to

Re: Dentures... Coping when the time has come?

BB - I can't personally relate but I wanted to share.  My mom had very severe dental problems as a result of an accident she had as a kid.  After years of pain, she opted for full dentures when she was in her early 30's.  I know it must have been really hard for her on so many levels.  But, she said it was the best thing she could have done because her quality of life increased 110%.  She felt so much better.  Looking at her, you would never know she had even had dentures.  I hope that helps, even a little bit.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
  • 02-08-2013 11:40 AM In reply to

Jetamio, that is very sweet of you to share her story. Thank you so much. She is very brave.

I know God will get me through this, I just want it done with so I can mentally process it all and move forward.

I have gone through some pretty hard medical stuff but this specific dental issue is really eating me alive. I just wish for some peace... support does help, truly.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 02-08-2013 11:53 AM In reply to

BB, I haven't had to deal with this situation--yet!--either, but look at it this way--denture technology is ridiculously advanced now. It's just not like it was even twenty or thirty years ago, much less longer ago than that. They can fit dentures so well that they almost don't even feel like dentures, and as Jetamio mentioned, they LOOK completely like natural teeth as well.

And think of all you've had to go through up til now. Then imagine NOT having to deal with all that anymore. {{hugs}}

(And now I'll step out of the thread and let people who DO know first hand about dentures have their say.)

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • 02-08-2013 12:08 PM In reply to

I haven't dealt with this myself, BB, but reading your past posts about all the misery you have endured, it sounds like you would be better off.  I know there would be a sense of loss, but after the healing and adjustment period, you would be gaining so much in quality of life.  Good luck to you in your decision.

Carol
    western NC
  • 02-08-2013 12:19 PM In reply to

BB, I havn't had this issue (yet), but I hope I can say words that encourage somewhat. My dentist  and hygenist have told me that all   people in the movie industry have artificial,  teeth that improve their appearance (movie star teeth).  Many young people I know have had all or some of their teeth capped and have artificial teeth, in order to improve their appearance. The reason for saying this is that I hope the outcome will make you feel happy about the look and feel of your new teeth. 

I also know what you mean by  having a hard time coping, I've had many of those times myself. The only thing I can say about that is being around people who care about you and support you in whatever way  they can. Time makes the biggest difference of all, this will be behind you one day soon.

We on this forum are so used to you supporting us in our everyday lives, with what matters to us, I hope you can find some comfort in knowing we are here to support you now.

• 02-08-2013 12:22 PM In reply to

Thank you for the support LD and Mazie.

I guess I should make it clear that my last 2 years of extreme dental problems has not been the same kind of thing for the dentures.

These are LOOSE teeth from osteosporis and BAD BONE LOSS not nasty decay infections like my other teeth problems that caused 6 surgeries in 2012. Those had to go and most were emergency situations. These are just naturally going and on the brink so now is the time to just remove the front four bottom at once... I am not in pain with these teeth - phsyically but mentally it's a head spin, they are loose, lifeless and need to go. I do not have enough bone left for implants or bridges so my choice is snap in teeth or no teeth in the lower front row. Permanent is not an option for me, I wish but I am thankful partial snap in ARE and must be grateful. It's really hard though, Facing myself after is going to be the hardest until I get use to it. I think that's safe to say for anyone knowing they are permanently loosing a part of themself...It is just not easy and life must go on.

• 02-08-2013 12:25 PM In reply to

Bernie, if you insist I will chuck and call myself the semi toothless(after these go 10 total would of left me but only 4 are replaces because the other 6 were in the back) movie-star-man for you. That actually made me smile this morning, thank you.

• 02-08-2013 1:58 PM In reply to

BB. I sent you a private email. I hope you received it and it was of some help.

• 02-08-2013 3:27 PM In reply to

Thinking of you and sending you hugs BB! I don't have experience with dentures, just about everything else though, crowns, permanent bridges, and an implant. Dentures was one of the options we looked at when I started my dental work, just wasn't ready to go that route at age 25.
    Kris in VA
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us