Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Practical Recycling...what do you do?

Last post 01-24-2014 11:50 PM by Kassy. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (41 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2013 10:21 AM

Practical Recycling...what do you do?

Inspired by the Practical Recycling article on the Dollar Stretcher this week

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/13/13jan28c.cfm

What do you recycle beyond the usual bottles and cans?

Here are some of the things we do or have done in the past:-

• We tote around water in reusable bottles - any "leftover" water (i.e. you drank only half the bottle) is fed to the houseplants
    • I hand wash single items e.g. undies in the bathroom.  Once I'm finished with the soapy water, I use it to scrub the shower.  Works like a charm and I don't have to use yet another cleaning product
    • The lids of margarine tubs are used as saucers for some of our plants
    • Large gallon-sized bottles are used for emergency water storage.  Detergent and fabric softener bottles are used to store water for emergencycleaning/bathroom uses, while food grade bottles store our water for consumption
    • I'm collecting food-service sized ice cream buckets with lids from a friend who operates a little cafe.  These buckets will be used for bulk storage
    • We've had some short lengths of PVC left over from plumbing jobs.  With a length of twine, ribbon etc threaded through it, and tied nicely, a piece of PVC scrap can become a towel rod, a necklace organizer etc.  I'm about to hang one in my kitchen to hang up my rubber gloves to dry!
    • Kid-sized aprons have been made from Dh's old shirts

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • 01-31-2013 11:09 AM In reply to

Re: Practical Recycling...what do you do?

Most of my recycling ideas are just double-use of items, so I will make that caveat. We live in a small apartment, and I don't have room to keep a lot of things around, so at least these ideas at least let me feel like I'm reusing before I recycle something to the dump or recycling center.

I pour used water glasses/bottles/pet dishes in my plants, too! Also, like I mentioned in another thread, I use those plastic bread tabs as scrubbers for my Teflon pans (the tabs can also be washed in the dishwasher; I clip them around the top rack spindles), and I use grocery bags to double-bag my kitty litter as required by our trash service. That is reuse, I guess, though it's still going to the landfill. But I figure it's less waste, because otherwise I'd have to double-bag it in a bag twice that size.

I reuse aluminum foil at least once for baking, if I'm able -- for example, we bake sausage links for breakfast every Saturday and Sunday morning, so I just save Saturday's foil in the fridge, doubled over on itself, and use that for Sunday's sausage baking, too. Of course it's also helpful to use less foil than an entire pan's worth, if you can help it. I only use about a 3" x 9" piece, even though my pan is much bigger, because that's all that I need for this particular task.

If the aluminum is too yucky, instead of reusing it for baking, I rinse it and then fold the yucky part inside, and use it right away to scrub a stainless steel pan, if I have any that need scrubbing. This works like a Chore Boy, and gives me a second use for the foil. It works really well, and I don't have a nasty metal sponge sitting around, that way. Then I throw it out. 

You can call me Anika. :)
  • 01-31-2013 11:33 AM In reply to

We re-use all of our plastic margarine, butter, sourcream and deli containers for freezer containers for soup. This way my DD can take them from the freezer to work or to her boyfriends house and I don't have to keep reminding her to bring my good bowls home. Any shirt that is stained is thrown in a rag bag in the garage to be used as an oil rag or car washing rag. Coffee grounds are spread in the flower beds, my plants love them. Old rugs and blankets are put in the cats bed on the back patio. Old socks become dog toys (stuff one sock or more into another sock and tie a knot in the top) or dust rags.
    Riley
  • 01-31-2013 12:49 PM In reply to

DH eats lots of those little flavored yogurts. He rinses the containers and drills drain holes in the bottom so I can use them as plant starting pots. AM
  • 01-31-2013 2:56 PM In reply to

My grandmother always said, "You learn something new every day"  I love the idea of repurposing used foil for scrubbing!  Will definitely try that one!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • 01-31-2013 3:30 PM In reply to

I cut up old clothes, beding, etc, and make strips that I crochet into rugs....What isn't useable I make into rags.....cut up old jeans and make quilts, pillow covers, tote bags, etc.....
    Nebraska
  • 01-31-2013 6:46 PM In reply to

suzin:
    I cut up old clothes, beding, etc, and make strips that I crochet into rugs....What isn't useable I make into rags.....cut up old jeans and make quilts, pillow covers, tote bags, etc.....

Great idea. Would love to see a couple pictures of your projects, if possible. (:

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 01-31-2013 8:56 PM In reply to

timzagain:

Inspired by the Practical Recycling article on the Dollar Stretcher this week

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/13/13jan28c.cfm

What do you recycle beyond the usual bottles and cans?

Here are some of the things we do or have done in the past:-

• We tote around water in reusable bottles - any "leftover" water (i.e. you drank only half the bottle) is fed to the houseplants
    • I hand wash single items e.g. undies in the bathroom.  Once I'm finished with the soapy water, I use it to scrub the shower.  Works like a charm and I don't have to use yet another cleaning product
    • The lids of margarine tubs are used as saucers for some of our plants
    • Large gallon-sized bottles are used for emergency water storage.  Detergent and fabric softener bottles are used to store water for emergencycleaning/bathroom uses, while food grade bottles store our water for consumption
    • I'm collecting food-service sized ice cream buckets with lids from a friend who operates a little cafe.  These buckets will be used for bulk storage
    • We've had some short lengths of PVC left over from plumbing jobs.  With a length of twine, ribbon etc threaded through it, and tied nicely, a piece of PVC scrap can become a towel rod, a necklace organizer etc.  I'm about to hang one in my kitchen to hang up my rubber gloves to dry!
    • Kid-sized aprons have been made from Dh's old shirts

I am doing what your doing like the water bottle thing and with the underware wah it out kinda thing I make my laundry detergent after I got the recipe from the prudenthomemaker.com love the blog she runs.

chrissanne
  • 01-31-2013 8:59 PM In reply to

budgetwise:

suzin:

Great idea. Would love to see a couple pictures of your projects, if possible. (:

BT your hired over at my house since your pretty good with the needle and thread your hired to do a quilt to go with the rug...Big Smile

chrissanne
  • 02-01-2013 2:09 AM In reply to

suzin:

I have also been cutting up old bedding & clothes to make doll clothes for my granddaughter.  I cut the tops from socks that had worn thru at the heel & used them to make doll socks.  Made a doll dress from a too-small shirt of DH's & cut the back of the dress to include the button plaquet on the front of the shirt, so I didn't have to sew the buttons or buttonholes.  Cut around the stains on a curtain to make the doll apron, & have a freecycle flannel sheet that will become a doll nightgown.  Used a little leftover yarn to make a pair of doll slippers, & different leftover yarn to make a small cape for the doll.

Page 1 of 5 (41 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us