Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Emergency Foods

Last post Fri, Feb 22 2013 8:07 PM by sissy. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:55 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Emergency Foods

When you prepare to be sure you are ready for emergencies and storms; what are the top foods you make sure you have on hand?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: Emergency Foods

Dried foods: Rice, brown rice, oatmeal, beans. Jars and cans: Pasta sauce, beans, soup, chili, tuna, chicken.

Vacuum sealed: Seasoned rice, mashed potatoes, biscuit mix, dried tomatoes, dried onion rings.

Drinks: Powdered milk, coffee, bottled water.

Snacks: Popcorn, crackers, jelly, cookies, cake mix, chips.

Freezer: Assorted Veggies,pizza, assorted breads.

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 2:49 PM In reply to

Since we stock & then live from our pantry, we have anything that we need for emergencies as a rule. 

To preapre for a storm, the only thing I do is make sure the water bottles are filled in the fridge.

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:41 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

In the event of a prolonged power outages during warm weather, the only thing I can think of would be more canning jars if I needed to can what meat is in the freezers.  Since I'm down to my last 250# of flour, I could use more.  Other than that, I think I'm good to go.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:21 PM In reply to

I did a quick inventory the other day and have dried and canned and rootcellared food to last a good three months so I don't really need to do anything special for emergency foods.  I have a couple of different ways to cook, solar and a wood grill, if the power is out for too long as well as my camping stove and candles to heat up a cup of tea.

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:17 PM In reply to

I make sure to keep some canned foods that are not our regular fare, but could be eaten straight from the can if need be. I also have some things I've dehydrated that would "cook up" quickly. An example is my creation based on a dish I enjoy at a vegetarian restaurant when I'm in Austin. The dish consists of stir-fried veggies on brown rice. I noticed that there are yellow split peas in the rice. Some research revealed that grains and beans grow naturally in an area at a ratio of of five or six parts grain to one part beans. So I cooked my combo using one cup brown rice and 1/6 cup split peas. This, of course, will provide a complete protein as well as the carb calories. Then I dehydrated and vacuum-sealed it. I have lots of dehydrated veggies to serve with this. AM
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 10:05 PM In reply to

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 25 2012
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

We don't get storms here -- I mean not ever. It's disappointing, because I love the fury of nature kind of thing (not actual dangerous ones, mind you, but at least give me some thunder and lightning!). But in case of emergencies, I do keep a bug-out-bag in the car including canned soup (the kind that doesn't need added water), generic energy bars, bottled water, and sealed cans of cat food.

You can call me Anika. :)
  • Thu, Feb 21 2013 1:32 AM In reply to

The best emergency food is biscuit and water, and I am saying this in personal experience.
  • Thu, Feb 21 2013 7:24 AM In reply to

I live in the Caribbean - hurricanes are our biggest threat. We are taught from childhood to have a 2-week supply of non-perishable foods and water on hand during hurricane season

My emergency food stash includes:-

• PROTEINS - unsalted nuts, peanut butter, canned meats and fish that can be eaten straight from the can or with miminal seasoning preparation, ultrapasteurized milk
    • CARBS -  crackers, any add-water-and-eat instant meals, rice, potatoes (anything that can be cooked in a single pot on a camping stove), granola bars and cereals, ready-to-eat popcorn
    • FRUITS AND VEGGIES - V8 type juices, canned fruit, canned veggies, raisins and other dried fruit
    • DESSERTS/TREATS - items like chocolate covered oatmeal cookies & granolas, peanut M&M's (to sneak in useful carbs or proteins), shelf-stable yogurt or pudding
    • BEVERAGES - LOTS of water, tea, coffee, instant hot cocoa packages, presweetened drink mixes.  This year, I will add Gatorade to the stash.  DD14 has a medical condition which requires her to drink LOTS of sports drinks to boost her electrolytes.  Gatorade is also useful as an oral rehydration therapy in the event of diarrhea.

I don't buy bottled water.  I save tap water in recycled bottles (eg  gallon sized Gatorade bottles). 

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Thu, Feb 21 2013 5:30 PM In reply to

timzagain:

I don't buy bottled water.  I save tap water in recycled bottles (eg  gallon sized Gatorade bottles). 

Do you rotate these out often for freshness? I found I had to or the water I stored had an off taste.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us