Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Seed Swapping

Last post Mon, Feb 4 2008 10:57 AM by mem68. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 26 2008 3:12 PM

Seed Swapping

Does anyone know of any seed swapping sites? I'd like to start a small herb garden but not one large enough to warrant the cost of purchasing a whole packet of various seeds.  Thanks ahead for the info!Smile 

"If you want something then you lose everything. If you don't want anything then you already have everything." -Seung Sahn
  • Sat, Jan 26 2008 6:50 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Seed Swapping

There's one here: http://groups.msn.com/Seedswappers/tradelist.msnw but I honestly don't know how good your luck will be. With the price of postage, it might be just as frugal to buy whole packages locally.

Yahoo groups probably has quite a few seed swapper groups, too.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sat, Jan 26 2008 7:01 PM In reply to

Thanks Pat,  Checked it out.  Looks pretty promising.  You're right about the postage though, I never thought of that.  Maybe I'll hit some people up at work!

"If you want something then you lose everything. If you don't want anything then you already have everything." -Seung Sahn
  • Mon, Jan 28 2008 11:32 AM In reply to

I agree with Pat. You're better off purchasing what you want than swapping and paying postage. Extra seeds can be saved in a glass jar in the refrigerator for at least a year or 2..

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Jan 28 2008 12:21 PM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:

Extra seeds can be saved in a glass jar in the refrigerator for at least a year or 2..

I did not know this!!  Do you need to do anything special?  Cover or seal or worry about the temperature or moisture or anything like that?  I am so excited to learn this tidbit-thanks!!

• Mon, Jan 28 2008 12:47 PM In reply to

YVW!

I've just put them in a mason jar with the lid on in the back of the fridge. I think I've read about moisture content, etc, but just dry seeds in a packet in a covered jar kept good and germinated well.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Jan 28 2008 2:19 PM In reply to

Question,  a couple of years ago (before son) I had a wildlife garden plus marigolds etc. I harvested flowers seeds in glass baby food jars and put them in the electrical closet downstairs where it is dark and cool.  Reg veggie seeds and the rest of the wildlife mix are in the freezer.   I haven't had problems with seeds in the freezer but what about the flowers seeds?

My Family's Interests
  • Mon, Jan 28 2008 3:22 PM In reply to

You might be better off finding a buddy nearby who also wants an herb garden, and each buying some seeds and splitting them.

I keep my seeds in their original envelope inside a ziploc bag in the fridge, and they work for several years.  Regarding the seeds in the jars in the electrical room, they should be fine as well, provided that they haven't gone moldy!

Happy gardening everyone!

Jacquie

A house is not a home without a cat!
  • Mon, Jan 28 2008 4:03 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

My Family's Interests:
    I haven't had problems with seeds in the freezer but what about the flowers seeds?

You can take a few and put them in a dark moist environment (wrapped in a damp cloth inside a plastic bag works) to see if they'll germinate before planting the whole batch.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Jan 28 2008 7:14 PM In reply to

Thanks, I thinking of saving some egg cartons and doing the marigolds etc as a project with the kids.  I have never had a problem yet with the ones in the freezer.  My problem is the actual gardening work!

My Family's Interests
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us