Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Have you fixed or improved something in your home?

Last post Fri, Feb 8 2013 6:16 PM by Anna Marie. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:23 PM

Have you fixed or improved something in your home?

Hello Everyone,
    It has been awhile since I posted a topic on Virtual Thrift Club.
    We have had some very, very cold days here in the midwest. I understand that the weather we have been experiencing is headed towards the East Coast.              

Then there was a week where we prepared our house and watched as a number of windows were replaced. I never knew that this could be done in the winter, but it can and now we have some real benefits from the new windows (less noise from the outside, warmer interior).        

Somewhere in the middle of everything, someone broke an old wing chair. One of the chair legs cracked and bent. I thought the chair would be impossible to fix.

My husband is a very talented Do It Yourself type of person. He thought about the chair for awhile and then drove over to our local hardware store. He bought a large screw for less than a dollar.

Once home he installed the large screw and reinforced the site.

Suddenly the chair was back together and appeared ready to go into service again.

Now I have a question. Can you remember a project that you worked on in your home? Did you repair something? Did you sew something that improved the appearance of a room? Did you paint a wall or hang a picture?

Let's celebrate small projects that worked for you.

Lori Blatzheim
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 12:25 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: Have you fixed or improved something in your home?

we have a rock wall  all the rocks came from the place .

he redid the canning  kitchen for me and he made a  stoage  unit for 

canned food   he always along with the boys incresed the size of my root cellar to a 5 tunes its former suze   ,

he is handy and can  fix every things but amd blessing know when it is to much .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 12:44 PM In reply to

Well it seems like we are always working one project or another.

Lets see, we have tiled (ceramic) our kitchen & bathroom floors. This was a great learning and bonding experience. All of our older boys are now experienced tilers-even DS12. A good skill to have I think. I was mainly the gofer (not my area of expertise!). Tiling is not a difficult skill, but it is a messy job for sure. Anyway, the results were impressive. We used a good quality ceramic tile that we got a fantastic deal on at the Habitat Restore. Love my new floors.

We have done quite a few painting projects over the years. We also get our paint at the Habitat Restore-also like to check paint stores for their "mistake bin" to see what they have. We did a fabulous job on our basement-the walls were icky, so we covered with inexpensive panelling and then painted using some finish techniques-used a wallpaper brush and dragged it downwards through the wet paint. It was a little time consuming, but looks quite classy. We used a base coat in a dark beige, then a top coat in light beige and dragged though that. I did most of this job, DH & the boys were my gofers/third hands.

DH built bookcases and a fireplace into our living room. This was mainly carpentry, so again, DH is teaching great skills to our boys whilst making our home look nice. DH collected the wood and varoius materials for this over time before he started. This was a big project and took a while. Very nice and very functional for us-we are all book lovers and had small bookcases all over the house. This is a very large built-in bookcase and holds all our books(well ok I still have a small bookcase in my bedroom!).

Next project in the planning stages is redo of our laundry area and spiffing up our patio. We are still in the planning/designing stages with those, so I will update as we move forward.

SS

• Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:02 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Our most recent project was building a wood shed. Dh did all the work himself.  It is three sided with a metal roof. The metal melts the snow quicker.  Before our wood was stacked ourside and we would cover it with tarps. The tarps would blow away, snow would get on the wood. This is much nicer. DH bought the battery LED lights to put inside. You just touch them to make them come one, they are great when getting wood in the dark, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:04 PM In reply to

My DH is a very handy guy around the house. He has put in a water softener, rebuilt half of the fence and is going to finish the other half this spring. We have done all of the floors in our house either in tile or wood flooring. He built all of the cabinets in my garage that hold the extra canned goods and cleaning supplies. He has built book cases and tv stands. Our next project will be my kitchen remodel and bath remodels. The only thing we will hire out is countertops, the rest he is able to do himself. He handles all plumbing (with my help), electrical and concrete work.
    Riley
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:27 PM In reply to

• ocd dad
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 24 2012
    • south carolina
    • Posts 125

photo IMG_1618_zpsa7946164.jpg
    work at home unmarried dad

emphasis on -- dad......the rest isnt important
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:35 PM In reply to

• ocd dad
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 24 2012
    • south carolina
    • Posts 125

i turned my boring gray cabinet (above) into a wonderful piece for our art room by decoupaging craft papers to the cabinets.

work at home unmarried dad

emphasis on -- dad......the rest isnt important
  • Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:15 AM In reply to

Wow, OCD DAD that is gorgeous. I LOVE the old picture collage work you did on that. Please share more pictures of your crafts/fixer uppers/home goods!!!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Jan 26 2013 2:19 PM In reply to

Beautiful work, OCD Dad. We have recently installed a long shelf in the kitchen to hold cookbooks and pretty bottles of oils and vinegars. There has been some and will be some more painting going on. Right no we are trying to settle on a color for the living room. DH wants orange, my least favorite color, so I'm looking for a soft terra cotta version. AM
  • Sat, Jan 26 2013 2:33 PM In reply to

Anna, orange is a bold color for the living room! I love it : ) Your idea is a nice compromise though and more neutral. Orange and terra work really well with browns, teals, turquoise and neutral khaki colors....I especially love orange though with teals and turquoise shades. What's the theme/set up/decor in your living room?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us