Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Organization help!

Last post 01-25-2013 9:41 PM by Juneflower. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2013 10:01 AM

Organization help!

I would love ideas and tips..first a confession.. I have adult ADHD and does my husband.. I can be as scatterbrained as they come, and we waste so much money on late fees and overdue bills simply for lack of an organized system for getting them paid! How do you organize your bills? what's your routine for paying them on time? My husband brings in the mail and sets it on the counter while I am cooking in the evening, and it gets forgotten..this DOES NOT WORK! LOL Help!!!
    Kathy
    Mom of 3, wife of 1, friend of many.
  • 01-23-2013 10:25 AM In reply to

Re: Organization help!

Hi!  I can completely relate.  I have a slotted box that is for storing file folders or other items.  I bought it at Target.  It sits on the kitchen counter by the phone.  I bought a few file folders and labeled them with things like: Bills, To File, Coupons, etc.  The minute the mail comes in I open it and sort it.  Recycle the junk and put things in the right folder.  Twice a month I pay the bills and file things in a long term file.  I also sort through the coupon/ ad folder and take care things that need to be used.  This has worked pretty well for me.  I also enter all the bills into my budget spreadsheet as they are paid to keep track of my expenses.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
  • 01-23-2013 10:42 AM In reply to

I use a Control Journal as suggested by organization queen FlyLady. Here's a link to how to build your own: http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/flying-lessons/control-journal/. It's really helped me get rid of the clutter a lot (her site in general has done the same with other areas of my home and life). Someone just recently on the forum also mentioned that they make out the bills as soon as they come in -- I think that was it -- then seal, stamp it, and write on the envelope what date they need to be mailed. So then it is done and you can just file away. Sorry for stealing that idea, but I wanted to mention it, too, and I hope the original poster chimes in, because the way they put it was a little more detailed, and I think that is one of the best ideas I ever heard.

You can call me Anika. :)
  • 01-23-2013 1:23 PM In reply to

Well if you have a checking account you could set up auto bill payment you will just have to make sure you have the money to cover the transactions. Most credit cards charge am min. of $35.00 late payment and if you are over the limit another fee ranging from 25.00 to 35.00 so if yoy are late with cc and over the limit also that is quite a bit of money leaking from your budget you could use for something else. Take that and mulpty by the 12 months in the year if you are always late alot of money is just walking out your door.  I don't know about your utilities but where I live they also have a late fee on the phone,power cell phone.  Hopefully you can get this situation resolved and good luck to you.
  • 01-23-2013 3:27 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I really rely on the auto pay. Something else I do is set the alarm on your cell phone with a message.  If it is a reoccurring bill or apointment add a message as a reminder.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 01-23-2013 5:51 PM In reply to

The autopay is a good idea ... especially if your paychecks are direct deposited into that account.

Where do you do your paperwork? A desk?  Could your hubby put the mail there, and you make sure to go through it after dinner? (that's where the phone alarm could come in handy)

At my house, we log all the bills on a calendar on a date 10 days ahead of the due date.  One of us checks the calendar every Sunday and takes care of that week's bills.  

Grame, I've started using the phone to keep track of appointments and other things with deadlines..

• 01-23-2013 6:00 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have a large caledar I posted all due dates of ibills I do mot like to pay any more money that due ..

I

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 01-23-2013 7:42 PM In reply to

Working, I do know that you must find some way to take control of your own life. I agree with Anika on using the Flylady control journal concept, but, if you will not, then find some help with your ADHD. Surely there is a forum where someone else has dealt with this and solved it in a way that will work for you. Blssings to you in finding a sense of order. AM
  • 01-23-2013 9:53 PM In reply to

• ocd dad
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-24-2012
    • south carolina
    • Posts 125

forget the bills that come in the mailbox and start doing it online. most bills will become paperless in the near future so if you're developing a benchmark to work from - begin where progress (as they call it) will take you eventually. Use a dedicated email address for all your online bills and use it strictly for bills whether utility, mortgage, auto, insurance, or revolving/loans. set reminders on your phone if you have the capabilities. do whatever you have to in order to stop paying late fees/interest payments. Its money you can't earn again. its gone. give it to me. give it to your neighbor. give it to....yourself. just dont give it to the banks and utility companies any longer.
    work at home unmarried dad

emphasis on -- dad......the rest isnt important
  • 01-23-2013 10:16 PM In reply to

I am so sorry, I managed to post the link to the wrong control journal (above), and that one was probably a bit confusing. Here's the one to the financial-specific control journal, with her philosophies and worksheets, too. It's the one labeled "FACE Control Journal": http://www.flylady.net/d/control-journals/.
    You can call me Anika. :)
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us