Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cooking on a Budget

Last post Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:06 PM by BargainBistro. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 20 2013 11:42 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cooking on a Budget

Allrecipes has a good looking page for ideas on cooking for less.

Are you able to cook on a budget, how are you making it happen?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Jan 20 2013 4:27 PM In reply to

Re: Cooking on a Budget

I checked your link and followed to the vegetarian suggestions, noting a very heavy use of lentils. Seems to me that too few of our hungry American populace have an appreciation for this bean-like food. If I had to stock an empty pantry from scratch and with very little money, I would buy lentils. AM
  • Sun, Jan 20 2013 5:14 PM In reply to

Thanks Brandy! I love sites/articles with these topics even if fellow Stretchers can often offer MUCH cheaper meal ideas/recipes that think 10 bucks for 1 meal is a bargain lol What's frugal to one may not be to another. One can always bump ideas though and take their "frugal" ideas and frugalize them even more so - super Stretcher style!!! I will check out some more of the articles, lots of great reads and I have realized Stretcher has a NICE library of them too.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Jan 20 2013 7:22 PM In reply to

My shopping budget includes funds for pet food/items, HBA, etc, so considering what is actually spent on food is pretty low and we eat well. No one lacks for anything. I think a main tactic is having a nicer item paired with more frugal items. For example, ground beef paired with black beans and bell peppers and seasoning to make tacos. And even though I don't think the government's ideas of what we should eat are always spot on, I think the my plate concept (not so meat heavy) offers a good guideline for many people that is actually easy to follow. Another thing that really helps, and I think allrecipes does ths well, is scratch cooking. I think too few people think cooking is too hard and meals have become about instant gratification. Too much thinking of "What can be ready in 5-15 minutes?" Not sayiing a good meal can't come together quickly, but it's not an every night thing.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Jan 20 2013 9:05 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    even if fellow Stretchers can often offer MUCH cheaper meal ideas

We have some very well experienced meal planners here. I was hoping some would throw in their super bargain ideas.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Jan 20 2013 9:14 PM In reply to

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 25 2012
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

I am not having any brainstorms at this particular moment, but I think you could have some fun with it and have an "Eat Like a Kid" meal every week, regardless of your household composition. Most foods we associate with young palates (mac and cheese, PBJs, hot dogs -- even cereal) are among the least expensive, so that certainly might be one idea to work in some cheaper foods and still have fun with it by putting a little spin on it.

You can call me Anika. :)
  • Sun, Jan 20 2013 10:36 PM In reply to

Tomorrow I plan to stretch a teeny bit because I don't want to throw out anything. The thing I'm not throwing out is orange-flavored sugar leftover from the final "sparkling" of candied orange peels. Using the refrigerator roll dough I made tonight, I will form rolls just like making cinnamon rolls, but using powdered oranges along with the orange sugar and pecans to make some tasty sweet rolls. AM
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:45 AM In reply to

Anna, I would of never thought to use them that way. That sounds so good, please let me know how they come out.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:01 AM In reply to

I was recently given $40 to cook meals for a family in our church.  Wanting to bless them with as many meals as possible (they're a family of 8!) I was able to make 8 meals!  All containing chicken or ground beef. I made:

Tomato based chicken and rice

Creamy chicken and rice

Two trays of spaghetti casserole

Two trays of ground beef shepherd's pie

Two batches of chicken soup

I'll have to find my receipt but I purchased $9 worth of ground beef (5 pounds) and $10 worth of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 pounds), large sack of rice, carrots, frozen corn, jarred spaghetti sauce (I'll make my own next time), potatoes, noodles and some cheese.  I did use my spices, flour (the gravy for the shepherd's pie) , bouillon and a few other items.

I wish I could have used all organic ingredients, but I wouldn't have been able to make nearly as many meals.

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:54 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

found chdicken breat for $.98 a oound got  100 pound  I spilt with all the family

got turkey for $.39 a pound got two I will cook tomorrow  and  then slice alot for sandwhich and make  dinner tool

got some of my baking supplies today .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us