Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What really can you buy for $10?

Last post Tue, Nov 5 2013 8:06 PM by BargainBistro. 137 replies.
Page 1 of 14 (138 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:49 PM

What really can you buy for $10?

We have a lot of discussions about how our grocery prices vary by location. What's cheaper for one may not be for another and some prices have been rather shocking lately based on location and current increase in prices for food.

Put yourself in this position and answer accordingly...

Let's say you are at one of the usual grocery stores you shop at. Bonus points if you know this week's sales but if not that's fine just use average $ amounts in mind. You are food (not household/pet/meds/etc.) shopping your basic needs list - you know the things you really need and are out of... maybe it's meat, dairy/eggs, produce, dry goods, baking supplies, misc. food items and so on. You only have $10 to get these items and must get them at this one store not store hop. Think hard and be honest here... What really could you get with that $10???

Things add up fast, that's for sure. You are free to use coupons, shops sales and markdowns, etc. but if you know you'd be doing that please include it in your answer so we know things have been discounted from their full price and that is how these items are able to make it into the cart and be budgeted with $10 only to spend.

How would you prioritize what's most important on as little as $10 for basic grocery needs? How long would these items last and how could you meal plan with them given there wasn't much to work with?

It will be interesting to see and compare what folks could get for $10 and how those items would be prioritized, chosen and used. Please take a moment to pitch in and share. If you want to include what store you'd be shopping and general location that would help but is not mandatory.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:05 PM In reply to

Re: What really can you buy for $10?

I am going to base my answers based on the current circular for Foods Co. I am in Northern, CA.

Based on their 2 page circular ad this is what I could get and have to make due with:

Chicken leg quarters @ .99 cents a lb

Dry pintos/bulk bin @ 2lbs for $1

1lb shredded cheese @ $2 a bag

72 count corn tortillas @ 1.99 a pack

Green bell peppers @ 3 for $1

2lb bag frozen corn @ $2 (not on their circular but average price there)

Apples or bananas @ .80 cents a lb

So then I'd have to divide how much I could get in order to stay in $10...

I would hope for a smaller pack of chicken at $4... then 1lb of pintos are .50... 3 bell peppers for $1... corn $2,,, tortillas $2... at this point I am stuck with, before tax, .50 cents and could penny pinch an apple and banana if I were lucky. I would NOT be able to get the cheese then. I could go a vegetarian route and skip the chicken and get more pintos and add the cheese and that would work. I would be able to get more fruit that way as well. Regardless, see how fast things add up? and that is with already low prices.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:10 PM In reply to

3 lbs bananas @ .09/lb .27*

1lb bacon .99*

Gal milk .99*

Roti chicken .99*

2pkg ground turkey 5.00

1 Avocado 1.00

* club points allow these special buys

This would be under $10 and about the best I could do I think. I am in the midwest. This is misc items I would buy to pair with my pantry/freezer to make meals.
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:09 PM In reply to

Now given the current circular and the general prices I know things are I could do better. Priorities would be protein and fruits/veggies.

Skip the chicken, load up on the pintos... 2lbs $1

lb bag of rice $1

Bag of fresh fruit w/apples, bananas and orange $3 (?)

5lbs potatoes $2

1lb bag carrots .50

1lb bag frozen veggies $1

Fresh bunch of greens $1

Onion, garlic .50 worth

That to me would be more ideal. I could work with these items a lot easier even if based souly on this smaller list.

Meat would not be needed. Pintos could act as a protein source. Potatoes work for all meals. Rice is very versitale. Fresh fruit is great for snacks and in the morning especially the bananas with rice porridge for breakfast. I'm not sure how long I could stretch all that and would depend how many I was feeding at the time. Breakfast could be rice porridge with banana slices on top; potatoes: homemade hash browns, country potatoes or maybe even skillet apples and potatoes. The rest could be used for stuffed potatoes, potato and garlic soup, pintos and greens over rice, smashed pintos in raw green leafs for wraps, frozen veggies mixed with rice, potatoe and greens soup, pinto soup,  po' man's pinto and potato stew... I am sure you get the idea lol

• Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:12 PM In reply to

Jayce that's a lot of meat! Those are some great deals!!! 1 gallon of milk at 1 buck, wow, never heard of. You got some hooked up points my dear and between our 2 lists we have a feast of breakfast, lunch and dinners COVERED.

• Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:06 AM In reply to

My every other day list, one gallon milk, one loaf bread, one dozen eggs. My other every other day list, gallon of milk, some kind of cheese or butter, and a package of tp. Done.
  • Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:05 AM In reply to

Tracy, that's a lot of dairy! you get one extra to the list though because I said not to include household items in the 10 dollar budget... how are you going through tp that fast though? buying a pack every other day? no bulk buying? a small pack is 4 rolls... buying 4 rolls every other day though - what is it being used for other than bathroom needs?

• Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:26 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

BB, Tracy has a big family!

I havent seen milk for a $1 in years.  Ten dollars here would buy 2 gallons of milk with a $1 leftover. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Fri, Jan 18 2013 10:10 AM In reply to

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2012
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

Well, husband is a picky eater. If I was just buying for me, $10 would go a lot further, but he won't do boned or skinned chicken (even if I do it myself), can't eat pork or seafood, etc. so we're a bit limited. However, at Winco on the outskirts of Portland, I could get...

3 lb. boneless/skinless chicken breasts for $5.85 (it's about 8 large-but-flat pieces of chicken breast)

2 heads of iceberg lettuce for $2

18 eggs for $2

Winco is fantastic for bulk bins, so with the few extra cents, I might try to get a little unusual seasoning or about half a cup of dry pasta for an uncommon treat (as I mentioned in other threads, we do low-carb, but we're not rabid about it).

Edit: Darn paragraph breaks - I forgot them the first time. Added!
    You can call me Anika. :)
  • Fri, Jan 18 2013 10:37 AM In reply to

• Jetamio
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2011
    • Colorado
    • Posts 296

Wow.  I feel like our prices here in Denver are so much higher.  For example, Red Bird boneless/skinless chicken breasts are $7.99 a pound at King Soppers.  Milk is around $4 a gallon.  Eggs, store brand, are $2.49/dozen.  Bananas are .59/ilb. Funny how prices differ.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
Page 1 of 14 (138 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us