Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Good Things to Buy Used

Last post Thu, Mar 21 2013 12:17 AM by gayla. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:37 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Good Things to Buy Used

We all want to save in this economy and I am here to tell you that you don't have to sacrifice having things you need and even want to make it. You have to shop smart and spend wisely though.

Second hand shopping is a good way to spend less but still get the things you need. Bargain hunting does take a little time to learn the best places to go and where the deals are found. Once you have that information then it's happy hunting to you.

Once you begin second hand shopping, you will find that for some things, you will spend far less than new and if you are lucky, you may even get better quality for less. The key is know your prices at local stores. When you know what you would pay for a new item; you will know if you are looking at a steal of a price or something you just need to pass on.

What are some of the things you can generally expect to find at better prices?

Clothes- clothes are one of the top deals. You can get name brands at a fraction of the cost. Be sure to check for tears, wear, missing buttons or other issues.

Furniture- Furniture can be a good bargain but know your prices and check to be sure the piece is sturdy and undamaged

Books- these are often real steals. I have stacks I have found at $1 or less.

Home decor- Often these things are not touched or used so they go off to thrift stores looking great. Why buy new for a little accent piece when you can make a great find.

Let's hear from our members! What are some of the things you have done better with buying second hand?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:00 AM In reply to

Re: Good Things to Buy Used

This is a dangerous question for thrift addicts like myself. Keep me away. Best thing to buy used? Rope and chains to hold me down when I'm on the loose to the thrift store, that's for sure. HA!!!

No really... I love to buy used things, especially clothes. I love how they are already worn in for me too and most likely aren't going to shrink on me. Used furniture and home goods, entertainment, books and music, craft stuff, etc. are great.

Used cars because brand new are just not happening on budgets

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 12:38 PM In reply to

I buy alot of used books. After I am done reading them my daughter will read them and then we pass them on to my Mom. When she is finished with them she donates them to the friends of the library. They then sell them and use the proceeds to buy more books for the library. My DH likes to go to the flea market and buy used hand tools.
    Riley
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 3:55 PM In reply to

• pmburk
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 16 2013
    • DFW, Texas
    • Posts 109

I agree with books, clothing, and home decor.

Add to that my suggestion: cookware & dishes.

We have a kitchen full of very expensive cookware & dishes - Le Creuset, Apilco, French copper, English ironstone, Wedgwood, Meakin, Mason Cash bowls, etc. Every bit of it purchased for a song at estate & garage sales over the years. We once bought an entire 10 piece set of Le Creuset for $20! At least around here, cookware seems to have absolutely no resale value, and I do not understand it!

• Thu, Jan 17 2013 4:08 PM In reply to

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2012
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

Equipment! I know that many places (ReStore is definitely one of them) will take a return if it doesn't work, so you have just about nothing to lose. My husband has purchased both a band saw and an industrial drill press from Restore and we never had a single problem with them... at a fraction of the cost of new!
    You can call me Anika. :)
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 4:30 PM In reply to

Tools. As a gardener I love good tools. Had a minimally functional and very ugly sickle. Last summer picked up an old, beautiful, very sharpenable one for $3.00. Wouldn't mind to use it in house as wall deco but look forward to using it as designed. AM
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 4:49 PM In reply to

I buy clothes at the thrift store sometimes it's a hit and miss but other times you can get a whole cart for not to many dollars. Here the cookware cost almost as much as a new set I was going to buy an anchor hocking baking dish it would have been like a dollar more for the new one so I passed on those. When buying clothes I bring them home they hit the washer and dryer after I've tried on the see it they fit the thrift store I go to will only take them back if the tags are still on this store doesn't have a dressing room so you have to be very careful.  I read Craigslist had been looking for an armoir and found one for $75.00 it is real nice.  I have other things on Craigslist I would like to have but someone else has beat me to it I just look at it like it wasn't meant to be and begin the search over again.

• Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:09 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:

This is a dangerous question for thrift addicts like myself. Keep me away. Best thing to buy used? Rope and chains to hold me down when I'm on the loose to the thrift store, that's for sure. HA!!!

No really... I love to buy used things, especially clothes. I love how they are already worn in for me too and most likely aren't going to shrink on me. Used furniture and home goods, entertainment, books and music, craft stuff, etc. are great.

Used cars because brand new are just not happening on budgets

Im with you on this one thanks for talking for me and yes bargain what I finally got I finally got new curtains all threw the town house no more home made ones I got them threw the burks catologe I think you said to get the best well I did last year.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:05 PM In reply to

I've scored two really cute dressy jackets and shoes to match, recently. Seriously, I'll buy just about anything secondhand, as long as it isn't stolen. Exercise equipment, case furniture, music, books, decor are faves. Unusual items: blackberry jam and fig preserves from garage sales, gourmet goodies from urban high-end estate sales, funky old crates from flea markets, my $200 purse (cost me $5, isn't a counterfeit Coach) and $20 centenarian iron bed, salvaged from a dump by the seller. Best secondhand buy: $25 truck topper. Patched a pinhole on top with roofing tar and it was ready to go.
  • Sat, Jan 26 2013 9:51 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

DH just paid $15 for a truck cap. The guy wanted $25 and DH only had $15 so he took it. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us