Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Best of Home Remedies

Last post 01-18-2013 12:12 PM by suzin. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-17-2013 7:26 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Best of Home Remedies

It's a time of year where many are fighting colds and flu or trying to ward them off before they begin. I have found home remedies work well as preventatives and during the early stages of some illnesses.

What are some of the home remedies you have found to work for common ailments and minor issues?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 01-17-2013 8:19 AM In reply to

Re: The Best of Home Remedies

If I had a quarter for every time I have answered this question and done crazy-man-holistic-medicine-healing advice for folks here or in person or online or whatever I would be FILTHY RICH, LOL.

I am going to narrow it down to a hard list of top five every household should have (IMO)

• .Garlic: overall cure all but especially good for the immune system, anti-bacterial, anti-viral
    •  Ginger or Mint: tummy troubles, digestion, nausesness
    •  Aloe Vera, preferrably fresh: to be taken internally for digestive issues, ulcers, constipation, internal healing or externally for cuts, wounds, burns, skin problems, etc.
    •  Fennel: gas, bloating, tummy troubles, etc.
    •  "Rescue Remedy" flower essence blend for anxiety, stress, peace, calming, slight sedative... other option would be chamomile and lavendar to be taken in a hot tea for calming, sedative, sleep aid...

I recommend a well supply of a quality brand of liquid herb taken in tincture format... dry herbs and spices for tea, compress, medicinal culinary usage, etc... aromatherapy for external usage... growing whatever herbs and foods you can yourself to use for healing... a supply of coconut water during illness, dehydration or fasting... fresh juicing for detoxing/purging illness and colon cleansing.

I could be here all day, all night, all year for that matter so I'll frollic now and hope that helps.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 01-17-2013 9:59 AM In reply to

Scientific studies have now proven the effectiveness of chicken soup for a cold, and that good ol' all-natural honey beats even expensive OTC medicines for childrens' coughs. These two and others were referenced in Cracked, which can be pretty offensive (language) at times, so reader-be-warned, but here's my source: http://www.cracked.com/article_20176_5-old-wives-tales-about-health-confirmed-by-science.html.
    You can call me Anika. :)
  • 01-17-2013 10:26 AM In reply to

Honey, yes of course, raw local honey for allergies, digestion, ulcers, external healing, throat conditions, etc.

Chicken soup has been a common cure and used medicinally for ages.  What's healing about it is the vitamins and minerals seeped into the broth... a good homemade chicken broth that used bones for a bone broth/stock and onions and garlic. A cheater soup will not do it, a healing soup must use all natural ingredients and be authentic, then it really can be considered and used medicinally to actually help heal the condition. A vegetarian vegetable soup can also do this considering the ingredients are fresh and balanced properly. A simple tea of parsley and garlic can have the same healing effects or a hot cup of fresh bone broth.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 01-17-2013 10:28 AM In reply to

(Most basic common chicken soup cure: homemade chicken bone broth/stock; optional chicken as this is not the cure here; fresh onions, garlic, parsley, carrots, celery,potatoes with peels ON... herbs/spices as needed for medicinal usage) Potato peel broth is also one of the most healing and potent aids. Ideal to always have some homemade canned or frozen on hand... a jar of local raw honey and some lemons too. Another kick butt helper, cayanne. Cayanne or bust lol Black pepper is a digestive aid, most do not know this but fresh ground pepper has some benefits. Okay, I could be here all day. I give up. I need to go back to rest now lol Medicine man at your service, crazy voodoo herb doctor style... back to bed for him... known for my healing soups, especially Asian ones... shitake lovin

• 01-17-2013 10:33 AM In reply to

Vitamin C before you get sick, astragulus if you do get sick.  It helps shorten the duration.

Epsom salt (2c), baking soda (1/2c) and any essential oil drops that make you happy in a warm tub for sore muscles and drawing impurities from your body.

Tea tree oil for cuts and abrasions. Mix 1 tsp in two cups water to wipe down surfaces to kill germs.

Eucalyptus oil for bug bites, in steaming water for congestion or in a warm tub for colds and sore muscles

Mix lavender oil and lemon oil in a 2:1 ratio in a small amount of water.  Chill.  Soak a clean wash cloth in in and lay over your eyes when you're stressed or if your eyes are strained or sore from allergies.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
  • 01-17-2013 10:37 AM In reply to

Jetamio, these are great ones! I LOVE and use all of them, am a big fan of aromatherapy too. I collect!!! Right now my favorite one to use is camphor... great for congestion and energizing the sinuses and mind! What brands do you like?

• 01-17-2013 10:51 AM In reply to

BB - I usually order Aura Cacia or Mountain Rose Herbs.  They seem to be the purest and have the best pricing.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
  • 01-18-2013 7:41 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    LOVE and use all of them, am a big fan of aromatherapy too.

Lavender for headaches and tension. We put a few drops in a bowl over steam then a scalp, facial and shoulder massage.

• 01-18-2013 8:12 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I found an older discussion about home remedies for heartburns. I am linking it here for anyone looking for information.

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us