Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Bread at Mealtimes

Last post Sun, Jan 20 2013 5:47 PM by Elsi. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:18 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Bread at Mealtimes

We are bread lovers though some of us really don't need the carbs. We enjoy different kinds to go with meals. When do you use bread as a dish for dinner?

Do you have a preference in the kinds of breads you eat?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:30 AM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

Re: Bread at Mealtimes

I usually serve bread when I feel it's needed. For example a main dish salad, soup, or if there is no other carb or a low carb meal. I love any kind of home baked type bread or biscuit.

• Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:36 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

DH would eat bread at every meal, a lot of it. Now, that doesnt mean that he needs it.  We do corn bread with beans, pork. Biscuits are baked for fancier meals, ham, a roast. Turkey family meals means rolls made by DD#2.  Garlic bread with tomato sauce and pasta.  Dh will just grab a loaf of bread and add some butter to eat.  Breakfast is toast if we have eggs. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:11 AM In reply to

Bread as a side at dinner really is not a big thing here and occasional depending on the meal. I use vegetables as sides and so many there really isn't even room for bread to begin with. I am also bread limited in the dental sense and have to be careful about frontal bite teeth until I get my lower partial dentures... then maybe I can bite into a fat hunk of fresh bread with butter lol My Mom loves a good garlic bread side every now and then as a treat. I prefer to use all natural whole grain products as much as possible but could never turn own a Red Lobster cheese biscuit!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:24 AM In reply to

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 25 2012
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

Preach it, BB! I am pretty sure they put some sort of addictive substance in those. :P
    You can call me Anika. :)
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:16 AM In reply to

I like bread - but I try to limit the "beige" at each meal to one 'portion' or serving.  

I use a lower calorie/high fiber bread for sandwiches (or a fancy whole wheat with an actual fiber count).

I like the different styles of Italian breads for things like garlic toast or brushetta or even sandwiches - this is 'special, once in a while' for me - so it's ok if it's more 'empty calories' than nutritional.

I didn't grow up eating much bread with meals so I don't associate it as being part of a meal - so I'm not a fan of dinner rolls and I can pass up the bread sticks and such at restaurants.

I do love fast food 'biscuits' though.. I could probably eat a dozen of them. Surprise

I don't need a higher power. I have a cat.
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 12:26 PM In reply to

My husband loves bread and would eat it all day long if I let him. I have a  slice of sourdough at breakfast but I am not much of a bread eater. DH does eat whole wheat whole grain bread at lunch for his sandwiches. I like cornbread with my beans and occasionally bisquits with my eggs. We didn't grow up with alot of bread with meals but DH's family takes bread eating to a whole other level. There has to be bread at every meal and then a bread and cheese plate after dinner. He's French and they love their bread!!!
    Riley
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:30 PM In reply to

We don't do a lot of bread at meals, since DH isn't much on it .. with the exception of garlic bread with pasta, or occasional biscuits or crescent rolls.

Me .. I like cornbread with chili; a good wheat bread or rolls with soup or stew.  Love the Red Lobster cheese biscuits.  Also love the biscuits at Bob Evans .. I could slather those in butter and honey and make a meal of themAngel

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:35 PM In reply to

Not a lot of bread with meals here. I work at using whole grains, sometimes in the form of bread. We often enjoy sandwiches for lunch. AM
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:53 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I believe that bread eating is a culture thing. I grew up in the mountains of NC. We had hot biscuits nearly every meal. My Dad felt that they were a necessary part of life, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us