Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Bread Machine - cost analysis

Last post Wed, Mar 9 2011 8:32 PM by cheapChic. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 23 2008 3:46 PM

• LizJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 23 2008
    • Posts 5

Bread Machine - cost analysis

I love my bread machine.  But I wondered if it was worth the price, so I did a cost analysis.  I'll post it here in case anyone finds it useful!

The biggest expense, generally, is the yeast.  This is where Costco comes in handy.  Buying yeast at a normal grocery store costs about $2.69 for 9 tsp, making the yeast in a basic 2 pound loaf cost $0.75!  At Costco, you can buy a 72 tsp. package for $3.29, lowering the cost of yeast in a loaf to $0.11. 

This is for a 2 pound loaf:

Bread Cost Analysis            
    Ingredient Amt. In pkg Pkg. Cost Amt. In Bread Cost in Bread
    SS flour 18.75   1.59 4   $0.34  
    Oil 96 tbsp 3.39 2 tbsp $0.07  
    Salt 122.75 tsp 0.85 1.5 tsp $0.01  
    Costco Yeast 72 tsp 3.29 2.5 tsp $0.11  
                $0.53 Total

I use the basic white bread recipe that came with my bread machine.  All ingredients are listed above, with the exception of 1 1/2 cups of warm water.

The bakery in my local grocery store charges $2.00 for a 1-lb loaf, which is a huge percentage savings!

The only problem is, bread machines are expensive!  If you get yours as a gift or at a large discount, it will start paying for itself quickly.  However, if you pay retail even for the "cheaper" versions at $70.00, it will take  YEARS of consistent breadmaking (2 loaves a week) to make up the difference!

If you have a breakmaker, how much do you use your breadmaker?  Was it worth the investment?

Liz 

• Wed, Jan 23 2008 3:55 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Bread Machine - cost analysis

I have had a bread machine for a long time...I dont use it at all anymore. I have gone back to making and baking from scratch in the oven. I like to make more than one loaf at a time. I like large loaves and my machine made a very small one. I do buy yeast at BJ's wholesale so get a good price for that.  Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 23 2008 4:07 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Welcome to the Community, Liz. Please join in the conversations wherever you find something of interest.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jan 23 2008 6:21 PM In reply to

I never broke it down before but that is a great savings. I buy my yeast in a jar so I will have to check the price difference. I rarely use my bread maker anymore. I will be using it a lot more now though. I am a sucker for Poulsbo bread but it is so expensive. I will have to try a cost comparison on it. As for the price of my machine... I haven't bought a kitchen appliance in years. I am fortunate enough to have a crazy sister with way too much money and little ambition. I have aquired a bread machine, kitchenaid mixer, oster blender, juiceman juicer, foreman grill and the list continues. The only thing she won't give me is her electric potato peeler. :-( 

• Wed, Jan 23 2008 6:54 PM In reply to

I had a hand me down bread machine ages ago, but never got into the habit of using it. I enjoy the process of making bread from scratch ,  and like to make a loaf and dinner rolls with each batch.

The food co op has yeast for $3.99 a pound. I don't know how that works out in cost per  teaspoon, but it comes in various sized bags around a half pound each.

• Wed, Jan 23 2008 7:34 PM In reply to

bread machine---free due to my franks job (upgrades equil points, points equil merchandise)

10 pound bag of flour--free gifted to me from my neighbor (i can get 5 pounds of flour for 99 cents)

yeast--bought in bulk @2.79? a pound

salt---free gifted to me from my neighbor (if i buy salt its sea salt and sea salt is 5.59 for a 26 ounce package)

butter--1 pound this week is 1.67....margarine works to at 59 cents a pound

sugar--5 pounds is 1.99

i use my bread machine at least 3 days a week(since i got it a few weeks before xmas) and make chocolate bread, apple cinamon bread, italian bread and cinachip bread most often (these are the favorites in my house)

• Wed, Jan 23 2008 7:42 PM In reply to

• LizJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 23 2008
    • Posts 5

Ooh, those bread varieties sound awesome!  Do you have recipes?

I made a whole wheat bread today that was really good:

1 c. lukewarm water
    1/8 c. honey
    3/8 c. olive oil
    1 egg
    1 tsp. salt
    3 c. whole wheat flour
    1 tbsp. yeast

• Wed, Jan 23 2008 7:56 PM In reply to

the one thats on the side of my bread machine?

basic bread

3/4 cup water (doesnt say warm or hot or cold)

2 cups flour

1.5 tablespoons of sugar(i always use 2)

1.5 tablespoons of instant dry milk (thats what i forgot to list! i get non fat dry milk in bulk and its 3.29 a pound i think) and i always use 2 tablespoons

1 tablespoon butter

1 teaspoon yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

thats the recipie that is on the side of my bread machine, at the add beep for chocolate, i add 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

for apple cinamon, i use 1/3 to 1/2 cup dryed apples diced (i buy the rings in bulk for 1.99 a pound?) and 1 tablespoon cinamon OR hersheys cinnachips about 1/3 cup

for italian, at the add beep, i add 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder and 1-2 teaspoons italian seasonings

for cinnachip, at the add beep i add 1/2 cup hersheys cinnachips, and sometimes 1/4 cup walnuts

• Fri, Jan 25 2008 10:20 AM In reply to

Dear All, I make a loaf of "Country White" bread about every 10 days in my machine.  I bought SUCH a large container of yeast years back (at LEAST 8 years ago, as I've lived here 7 years, & had it for quite a while in my prior apt), that I still have a good deal of it (bought at Smart & Final warehouse store).  I keep it refrigerated on the bottom shelf, in a Tupperware canister.  (The bottom shelf is the least cold area of the fridge.)

I had been using the machine because my disability interfered with my ability to knead.  Since the Good L-rd has healed me, I am certain that I could make dough from scratch now.  However, I a m also lazy AND VERY BUSY THESE DAYS, so will probably continue to use he machine ...

Yours i Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Fri, Jan 25 2008 10:51 AM In reply to

deb i wouldnt make bread AT ALL if i didnt have a bread machine! lazy prolably, but i also havent bought bread (other then 1 loaf of sour dough every other week because i dont have a start yet) so my time and my money/food stamps go farther with the bread machine
Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us