Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

Last post Thu, May 2 2013 3:57 PM by Gayla57. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:28 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

I got a new iron skillet for Christmas and have access to one for my temporary living this month. I love cooking up beef and chicken in sauces and marinades on iron cookery, I make hash browns and have recently found a fantastic recipe for potatoes using the skillet.

So now I am hunting new things to try and focus a lot on cooking our main dish in this skillet and some side dishes as well.

Simple Skillet Recipes- The steak fjitas are something we often eat. I want to try the pot pie recipe. I have always made this in the oven but I packed up my pie pan.

Tenderloin Roast- this sounds delicious! Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Onion and pepper smothered steak - Another winning looking way to cook meat.

Pan roasted chicken with mushrooms- I am hungry now.

What are some of your favorite recipes for cooking in a cast iron skillet?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jan 15 2013 11:36 AM In reply to

Re: Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

I love to blacken fish in my cast iron skillet, make fried potatoes with onion and bellpeppers, fry chicken for DS, and make chicken marsala. I use mine to make burgers when it is too cold to grill them.
    Riley
  • Tue, Jan 15 2013 12:17 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Burgers and steaks are fantastic on cast iron.

I really missed having a skillet but I see I really didn't do much with it.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jan 15 2013 12:38 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

My family love Southern fried chicken  I make it often I do skillet potatoees and there nothing like a big pan ( of pinto beans ) and Corn stick  or a pan of corn bread , fried corn   I cook alot of course a pan of Drop biscuits

and I do a Pineapple upside down  cake that very good ...  I cook  alot in my cast iron  

several of my pieces a very old .  and I bake in my cast iron  alot to  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Jan 15 2013 9:29 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

That is the only type of skillet I have.  Do a lot of baking in cast iron too.  Some one gave me a little bitty iron skillet when my oldest was a baby, just perfect for one scrambled egg and over the years, my collection just keeps growing.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:19 PM In reply to

Brandy:

I got a new iron skillet for Christmas and have access to one for my temporary living this month. I love cooking up beef and chicken in sauces and marinades on iron cookery, I make hash browns and have recently found a fantastic recipe for potatoes using the skillet.

So now I am hunting new things to try and focus a lot on cooking our main dish in this skillet and some side dishes as well.

Simple Skillet Recipes- The steak fjitas are something we often eat. I want to try the pot pie recipe. I have always made this in the oven but I packed up my pie pan.

Tenderloin Roast- this sounds delicious! Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Onion and pepper smothered steak - Another winning looking way to cook meat.

Pan roasted chicken with mushrooms- I am hungry now.

What are some of your favorite recipes for cooking in a cast iron skillet?

Your hungry you say YOUR  hungry guess what, I am now have to season my cast iron skillet of mine and start cooking now you got me hungry.

Cindy ---
  • Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:27 PM In reply to

Yummy, I love the mushroom chicken one too - I do this but in a saute pan. How would it be different in a skillet, would it be more golden and cook faster? I don't own one. They are too heavy for me but I'd love a nice skillet meal... sounds inviting. I want to try skillet corn bread! Mmm or spicy Sicilian skillet chicken I generally make in the crock or saute pan.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:37 PM In reply to

Speaking of skillet meals, Denny's just me an email with their updates about their new skillet complete meals for 8.99 - they are 3 course meals with a starter, complete skillet meal and dessert. I don't even eat there but looks like skillets are the hot topic right now. Folks can go to their website for more details and their new skillet menu... they also have some new breakfast skillets... Now back to chicken, lol. This looks yummy, I bet it would be nice in the skillet... http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_cacciatore_hunter_style_chicken/
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:41 PM In reply to

Brandy, take a look at their idea for bacon chipolte chicken and pot roast skillets. Might be a fun idea to knock off and make at home... mmm skillet potatoes are the best... especially reds... now I'm craving. Cindy, hold me down lol The chipolte is calling lol and some yankie doodle dandy pot roast!
  • Wed, Jan 16 2013 12:32 AM In reply to

Mmm this looks really yummy... I went on random restaurant sites after this post to view skillet menu ideas, lol. I found this one at Applebee's site... 11.49 for one meal. I could make a table's worth of this for that price at home. Anyhow, here's the info.

"Cajun-seasoned chicken breast grilled and served on a sizzling skillet with blackened seasoned shrimp, garlic and thyme. Served with fried red potatoes and sautéed onions & mushrooms."

I could do a bag of chicken and small bag of frozen shrimp at $10 allowance... 5lb bag of red potatoes at $2 allowance and the onions, garlic and mushrooms @ $3 ... that's $15 and what that meal would come to with tax here I am sure. Then you gotta tip lol

Page 1 of 6 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us