Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Newspaper Pots For Starting Seeds

Last post Fri, Feb 8 2013 9:58 AM by babs. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:35 PM

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Newspaper Pots For Starting Seeds

Now is the time to start making up newspaper pots to start your seeds. These are easy to make, saves money.  If you have never made them, just google and you will find different ways to fold the paper.  This is so frugal for Dollar Stretchers. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sat, Jan 12 2013 9:56 PM In reply to

Re: Newspaper Pots For Starting Seeds

The only thing Babs is that it is a very healthy thing to use newspaper that uses soy ink on it... Instead of the regular ink. Balthough now that most soy products have GMO's in them I'm not so sure....
  • Wed, Feb 6 2013 1:46 PM In reply to

• RAO
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 27 2009
    • Illinois
    • Posts 207

This year decided to try the inner rolls from toilet paper and paper towels (yes, have to fess up that we do use them!).  Cutting them to about 4 inches, then bending one side into the middle to make biodegradable pots. 
  • Wed, Feb 6 2013 9:41 PM In reply to

IMHO paper pots are great, both a good way to recycle newspaper and good for starting plants which can be transplanted with minimal root disruption. I do make holes in the pots when I set them out and am sure to cover the top edge as with peat pots to prevent wicking away of required moisture. I would not worry about the possible effects on the soil from GMO soy-based inks. AM
  • Thu, Feb 7 2013 8:27 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

A friend of mine does this. I thought we had some information around here on it.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Feb 7 2013 9:22 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

There was an old post. Im not worrying about the ink in the newspapers. I am also using the waxed pint milk cartons, school lunch milk, empty yogurt cups. DD buys the organic salad mix in theplastic containers. They work good for a mini greenhouse to start the seeds. It is time to get them growing. Babs
  • Thu, Feb 7 2013 11:37 AM In reply to

I make these with the newspaper from my food co-op.   They use recycled paper and soy ink so I know there are probably contaminants, but we can't completely avoid contaminants in this world anymore.  I'd rather recycle the paper than use the plastic containers and peat is transported with fossil fuels, goes through the manufacturing process and etc.  So, I like the newspaper pots.

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 7:44 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 9:58 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Good article. The seed tapes can also be made with toliet paper.  Cheaper , maybe, than the paper towels.Babs
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us