Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Valentine's Day 2013 Planning?

Last post 01-22-2013 9:58 PM by roses. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-12-2013 11:19 AM

Valentine's Day 2013 Planning?

Valentine's Day will soon be here. Some of us like to celebrate and now is a perfect time to start planning. What will you be doing this year? Do you have any special meal plans? Will you be getting lost in a box of chocolates? Smile. Share your Valentine's ideas & plans!
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 01-12-2013 11:57 AM In reply to

Re: Valentine's Day 2013 Planning?

My husband and I always do Valentine's the day after. That way it's not super-crowded to try to get a restaurant for dinner, and if I want flowers or candy or jewelry or whatever (unlikely, but just in case), we can get them half off at the post-Valentine's sales. I know, "sounds romantic," hah - but hey, keeping more money for ourselves IS our favorite thing to do, so it works!

You can call me Anika. :)
  • 01-12-2013 12:17 PM In reply to

I will probably just make a nice dinner if DH is going to be home. He will be traveling alot again here soon so I have no idea if he will even be home. If not we will go out to eat another night. If he's not home DS and I will have dinner together since he will still be home due to surgery and not be back to work yet.
    Riley
  • 01-12-2013 12:27 PM In reply to

I hope you all enjoy. I like to do something special for Mom. I got one of her gifts yesterday and will frugally and mindfully collect a few more before Valentine's Day. I will be budgeting a nice meal to make for her. Smaller holidays (ones other than Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas) meals require less $ to make since I'm not making some full out feast. I will budget though for this meal. Right now she is really hip on quiche so I may look into a nice brunch-style dinner with quiche and a special creamy bisque soup pair with a nice simple salad and something fruit oriented for dessert. I think this time around I will not tell her ahead of time what's on the menu and just surprise her. A warm slice of quiche, side spring greens/goodie salad and demi cup of bisque soup might really warm her soul and then a nice petite dessert.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 01-12-2013 12:36 PM In reply to

Ooh that sounds really nice, BB! You could open a tea house with that menu :).

You can call me Anika. :)
  • 01-12-2013 12:40 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

DH will sent me flowers and a beatiulf card  and I willl cook him his favorite Sounth Fried Chicken with mashed  potatoes and  bake him chcoolate chips cookies  and  I give him something  he needs a new wallet  problably get him one .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 01-12-2013 1:07 PM In reply to

Thank you Mechanika! I'm either going to do a super seasonal theme and basically plan it all based on what I can get in season here and at good value OR go with a seafood quiche and chowder theme. The salad will be kept simple though - a seasonal spring greens and fruit/nut lightly dressed salad for the first option or a simple Caesar would go good with the second option. Right now I am sitting here thinking how YUMMY a lemon-bar-style white chocolate chip cheesecake would be DIVINE for V-Day... I'm cracking up as this gives me an excuse to experiment and try to make it beforehand to see if it's a keeper... and in return an excuse to go gorge some LOLLLLLL
  • 01-12-2013 2:28 PM In reply to

• ocd dad
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-24-2012
    • south carolina
    • Posts 125

i have written and erased a short novel here, but suffice it to say im not sure what this day will bring.......i will celebrate with some sort of planned effort for the sake of my babes as to give them a sense of growing up with fairy dust and gossamer wings......they so look forward to celebration days and the special atmosphere we've always created no matter the celebration. i should hope to do it more frugally this year so maybe i will create a keepsake for each of them and perhaps a good home cooked meal which we have until recently missed in lieu of excessive take out......
    work at home unmarried dad

emphasis on -- dad......the rest isnt important
  • 01-12-2013 4:10 PM In reply to

Chocolates mmmmmmmmmm homor simpson says.. This is me now trying to imatate homor DROOL.. Stick out tongue

chrissanne
  • 01-12-2013 4:12 PM In reply to

ocd dad:
    i have written and erased a short novel here, but suffice it to say im not sure what this day will bring.......i will celebrate with some sort of planned effort for the sake of my babes as to give them a sense of growing up with fairy dust and gossamer wings......they so look forward to celebration days and the special atmosphere we've always created no matter the celebration. i should hope to do it more frugally this year so maybe i will create a keepsake for each of them and perhaps a good home cooked meal which we have until recently have missed in lieu of excessive take out......

Write stories for a living awsomme.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us