Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Basic sautee/skillet meal: meat, greens, oil, vinegar

Last post 01-13-2013 12:28 PM by BargainBinge. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2013 10:04 PM

Basic sautee/skillet meal: meat, greens, oil, vinegar

I posted this in another forum, but you could really use any meat and greens for it, so it should be really flexible. Here's the original post, and I follow it with the basic formula, with notes on how to customize it to suit what you have on-hand:

Original post:

I had thawed a couple of chicken breasts, and sliced them into medallions about 1/4" thick. I panfried those in just a little oil and butter until they were browned on both sides, then set aside and keep warm. Then I deglazed the pan brownings with a splash of balsamic vinegar and about twice as much water (say about 1/4 c.), while the pan is still really hot, to get a good deglaze. Stir around til the pan isn't brown on the bottom anymore. Pour that over the chicken.

Then I added a few pieces of chopped up precooked bacon, a little more olive oil, and then I threw in a handful of kale and sauteed until the kale wilted a little. Red onion would have been nice in this, too, but my husband doesn't like onion (boo!). Anyway, I added the chicken and sauce back in, warmed it all through, and voila! I would definitely make this again.

Okay so here is all you do:

Ingredients:

• 1-2 lb. lb ANY meat; if it's boneless chicken or steak, a nice presentation is to slice into medallions (thin slices), but any meat works, even ground
    • 2-3 handfuls ANY sturdy greens (chard, spinach, kale, bok choy, mustard greens, collards - these are cheap and well worth purchasing for this)
    • 1-4 T. ANY oil (olive probably has best taste, but you can season to make it up)
    • 2-3 T. ANY leftover wine (hah! Stick out tongue) or vinegar (balsalmic or any of the red or white wine vinegars are good, but even white is ok if you use about 1 T.)
    • About 1/4 c. water
    • Optional: Salt, plus any add-ins for flavor that you want, like bacon/garlic/onions and seasonings

Directions:

1. Sautee the meat on medium high heat in a large skillet (brown on both sides, in about half the oil until it browns against the bottom of the pan). You want the browned bits that are so difficult to scrub off when you are cleaning.
    2. Remove the meat from the pan and keep warm. Quickly, while pan is still really hot, throw in the wine (or vinegar) and the water. Whisk/stir it around... if it hisses and steams at you, you are doing it right. Like magic, this removes all the browned bits. As soon as they're absorbed into the liquid (1 minute or less), pour it over the meat and set aside. (NOTE: If using white vinegar, which is stronger than others, cook it a little longer so that some of the harsh flavor is cooked out - maybe a couple of minutes or so, and add a bit more water.)
    3. Put the remaining oil in your pan. Add the optional add-ins (til cooked, if bacon; til transulcent, if garlic/onion); add your greens. Sautee quickly on medium-high heat just until the greens are slightly wilted. Add back in your meat and sauce, and stir. Heat a minute or less until all blended, and stir on a plate. This should make a really lovely dish to look at, if you make sure and not cook it too long. Delicious!
    You can call me Anika. :)
  • 01-10-2013 12:04 AM In reply to

Re: Basic sautee/skillet meal: meat, greens, oil, vinegar

Im going to make myself as a dog and sit up for this one yummie. Looks good.

Cindy ---
  • 01-10-2013 3:02 PM In reply to

Thank you, Cindy! Also I should have added that if the final result is a little too tart for your family, just cook the vinegar/water phase a little longer next time, to make more of a reduction. I use a light rice wine vinegar in mine quite often, so there's no need for that step here, but just in case... :) Enjoy!

• 01-10-2013 4:25 PM In reply to

Sounds yummy. I will share with DS. His wife has major food allergies but can eat all of these ingredients. It would be a different meal for her. Chicken is their main meat. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 01-10-2013 5:31 PM In reply to

Re: Basic sautee/skillet meal: meat,greens,oil, vinegar 

This is something I will definitely, I already have these ingredients in the house.

• 01-12-2013 7:14 PM In reply to

I like this method! I have a similar plan when I make "hot plates"... protein, vegetables, seasonings. Saute with onion and garlic, serve.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • 01-13-2013 11:40 AM In reply to

Last night my son took me to an Asian grill where we chose from several types of meat and seafoods from a table and several vegetables from another table. We loaded what we wanted into a bowl and then chose our own seasonings from another table, then gave it to the cook to stir fry. We then chose from four types of noodles and rice to serve it over. This helps me get a good grasp of what  BB, Mechanica and Spiderdust are describing. I think I can do some of these things creatively now, just by buying a few different ingredients and keeping them on hand.  Thanks for your help.

• 01-13-2013 12:01 PM In reply to

Thanks, Bernie, and yeah, I love those type places! They can be really healthy for "dine-out" food, since you control the portions and ingredients, too!

• 01-13-2013 12:28 PM In reply to

You're so awesome but the leftover wine and then the HA and smiley face icon thing just cracked me up... literal humor. Silly at it's best, thank you for the Sunday funny laugh. I don't drink here so no leftover wine and trying to keep Mom sober so no supply of any kind and hope it stays that way, smile.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us