Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Microwave Potato Chips

Last post Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:23 AM by Loveday. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:28 PM

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 25 2012
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

Microwave Potato Chips

Fast and EASY - my two favorite things! You don't need a mandoline, just slice them about 1/8" thick; you also don't need olive oil, because regular oil is fine. I've tried these, and they turn out great. So if you are craving potato chips but can't justify the non-frugal expense for junk food, you can often get 10 lb. potatoes for 99c or so!

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-potato-chips-in-the-microwave-166718

You can call me Anika. :)
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:43 PM In reply to

Re: Microwave Potato Chips

You rock, you're some awesome Mechanika - I love all the cool links you post. Thank you!!!
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:49 PM In reply to

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

Well thank you! And you, too!!

• Wed, Jan 9 2013 10:27 PM In reply to

mechanika:

Fast and EASY - my two favorite things! You don't need a mandoline, just slice them about 1/8" thick; you also don't need olive oil, because regular oil is fine. I've tried these, and they turn out great. So if you are craving potato chips but can't justify the non-frugal expense for junk food, you can often get 10 lb. potatoes for 99c or so!

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-potato-chips-in-the-microwave-166718

Seem easy enough, but I haven't seen pototoes for .99 cents for several years now.

Have you made these? How does the 'crisp' factor compare to oven baked chips? (:

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 10:38 PM In reply to

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

I think they come out nice and crispy, but they aren't paper-thin, so they're not AS crisp as store-bought (and they probably use other things to make them that way, I guess, too). The water bath removes the starch, though, which is the reason they otherwise won't get crisp. When you destarch them that way, it makes them a lot more crispy like store-bought. I thought they were really good when I made them, and a nice substitute for chips.

• Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:01 AM In reply to

This is like so awsome thanks.

Cindy ---
  • Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:23 AM In reply to

This sounds really good. I'm a potato chip addict, so you just know I'm going to have to try this!Stick out tongue
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us