Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How I Saved Money This Week

Last post Sat, Jan 18 2014 8:52 PM by suzin. 210 replies.
Page 1 of 22 (211 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 8:55 AM

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

How I Saved Money This Week

I have saved some money this week.  $10 saved on our oil delivery by paying cash. Contacted the bank and going to paperless statements. This will save $36 over the year.  We have an Irvings Reward Card. When you have bought 50 gallons of gas, you get 10 cents off 20 gallons. $2 saved on gas.  I have two coupons from
    Coke Rewards for two free 12 packs of soda. I will use these on Fri. when shopping. That will save at least $8, depends on store price.  I have a coupon for a free box of Charmin Freshmates. Coupons from Vocal Point.

IF you have saved money, share how , where and how much. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:35 AM In reply to

Re: How I Saved Money This Week

Great thread topic!

DD14 is working on a chemistry project for school, in which she has to build models of the molecular structures of several compounds.  Most students create theirs using styrofoam balls.  Instead DD used some old polymer clay - no longer useful for my craft business but with some baby oil and elbow grease, she was able to get it pliable enough for her purposes. There was enough recycled clay to make some of the models but I still had to buy some styrofoam balls for her to complete the other models.  If I had bought the styrofoam balls from our local Michaels' type store, I would have spent $15.  Instead I decided to shop around and was able to buy them in another store for $6!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 10:27 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I forgot one more. We sent our DS#2 to Direct TV. He gave them our account number so we will save $10 for ten months. Starts next month on your bill. It will also save him $10 a month for ten months. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 10:33 AM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

I so much wanted to buy a skirt (I need a new brown skirt) and go and have Chinese food this week. I'd like to buy only the meat stews (take-out style), bring it home, divide them in portions and put them in the freezer for quick and easy meals later, when school starts again. Making rice and vegetables to go with it is so much cheaper than eating in the restaurant!

But my priority this year is to save to an emergency fund. (You all know that I stocked up on non-perishables on sales last year. So this year, it is another project!)

So even if buying only the meats and make the rest of the meal at home is usually cheaper than eating out, I decided against it. My first priority is to save cash, and I can't do that while spening at the same time.

I compared my wish-list with the "only 4 needs"-list (basic food and water, a roof over your head, basic medial care and basic clothing for work).  I found that the Chinese food was not a need but a want, and so I had to skip it. And I do have lots of other clothes for work, so buying a brown skirt at this time, when my priorities are to save cash, was superflous. 

I will buy that skirt later, when I have reached my savings goal for this year. And the more frugal I manage to be, the faster will I reach that goal, and the sooner I can buy that skirt with a good conscience...

I also decided to shop my cupboards and found four perfectly new-looking woolen sweaters that I had totally forgotten I had!!! So now I have more changes for my black and blue skirts and don't immediately need to buy a new brown skirt to have enough changes (one cannot come to work in the same clothes two days after each other). Problem solved and money saved!

• Wed, Jan 9 2013 11:25 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we have a local station here who will give you $.05 off  a gallon of gas if you pay cash  Filled up my van and my little car filled up Sil SUV  I paid  cash  saved several dollars .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 11:30 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I won two one litre apple juices with the latest safeway contest.  scratch and win.  had to pay the deposit fee and taxes. apparently safeway can't pay it

also shopped yesterday on safeways 10% off day too so saved $10 there.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 11:57 AM In reply to

I went to Costco and bought a gel pad for my bed, normal price was 160 but it was on sale for 130. Then I stopped at Target for pillows since Costco wanted 65 dollars for 2 down and feather pillows and I bought feather pillows on sale at Target for 10 bucks each. I stopped at CVS on the way home because they had shampoo for sale 3 for 10 bucks. I had an extra care buck and a coupon plus 5 dollars off for my quarterly rewards so shampoo cost me 3 bucks for 3 bottles. I rescheduled my dr appointment from Dec.31 to today and saved 30 bucks because my co-pay went down for this year. Not a bad way to start off the year.
    Riley
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 1:09 PM In reply to

• mechanika
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 25 2012
    • Oregon, USA
    • Posts 258

Helene! I don't know if this works where you are, but in my area, at places like Panda Express, they have a coupon on the back of every receipt. You call in, answer a survey, and you get a free entree (that is for Panda Express, specifically; others may have other deals). That is a great deal, so maybe you can ask someone you know who might be dining there, if they would save you a receipt or two? You might just get that Chinese food, after all, for only the frugal cost of calling in on surveys!

Edit: Forgot to add, better ask the friend first to make sure they liked it, since the survey is gonna ask (but, c'mon, it's Panda Express! Who doesn't?! *grin*)

You can call me Anika. :)
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 1:54 PM In reply to

I had planned a trip to the thrift store this week to buy curtains or fabric to make curtains for the twins bedroom. Also was planning to buy more clothes for them while I was there.

My Sister had a box of items she was going to donate that she let me go through-found a brightly covered blanket that works perfectly to hang over the curtain rod, and keeps the room warmer too. So saved however many $$ the curtains would have cost. Since I then skipped the trip to the thrift store, I didn't buy the clothes either, so save $$$ there too. Decided to make do with the clothes they have for now.

Also checking out a stack of books for the little ones today at the library instead of buying books they will quickly outgrow.

SS

• Wed, Jan 9 2013 3:35 PM In reply to

Helene:
    I do have lots of other clothes for work, so buying a brown skirt at this time, when my priorities are to save cash, was superflous

Helene, I always feel more satisfied when I walk out of a store without overspending, yes I have something new, I also have a bad consciense. If I plan for something I can enjoy it without a guilty consciense.

Page 1 of 22 (211 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us