Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Tropical Coconut Banana Bread

Last post 01-11-2013 8:29 AM by Brandy. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2013 12:02 PM

Tropical Coconut Banana Bread

I made this last night and it was delicious. I just whipped stuff together and do not use recipes or measurements so bare with me here. I will do my best to post per request of Spider and Jayce.

First thing, I cheated and used a banana bread box mix.

Ingredients:

1 box of banana bread mix (calls for water, egg, bananas)

3 organic ripe bananas, next time I will use 4

2 cups water

GHETTO egg replacement, box calls for 1 egg, I used one vanilla pudding cup as a replacement (lol)

There's my mix, adding cinnamon and sugar is optional... and to make it tropical I added:

About 2 cups dried mango flavored pineapple chunks

About 1/2 cup (can add more if you'd like) shredded coconut flakes

Grease a medium spring form <spelling?> cake pan, pour in the pan, sprinkle with coarse sugar. I used a fair trade amber colored coarse sugar, it's delicious.

Bake in a pre heated oven at 375 for about 35 minutes or until that perfect golden color has arrived. Cool completely before cuttng. Cut into pie like slices. Frost or smear with whipped cinnamon butter. Enjoy.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 01-08-2013 1:27 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Tropical Coconut Banana Bread

BB, this sounds fantastic!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 01-08-2013 1:33 PM In reply to

I'm going to try this! Thanks for posting BB!

• 01-08-2013 1:57 PM In reply to

I like your frugal substitution - what a great and inspiring idea!

You can call me Anika. :)
  • 01-08-2013 2:13 PM In reply to

I'm drooling...what a nice addition to the usual banana bread, BB! - I will definitely make it!

Really needed something nice and simple with a twist from the usual routine!

Helene

• 01-08-2013 2:31 PM In reply to

Wow okay so I am flattered considering I thought I'd look silly for this one and so glad Spider and Jayce asked me to share since folks are liking it! I am not a baker and I cheat and do random extras and actually thought this might sound silly... it honestly is delicious though!!! If anyone tries this or tweaks it please let me know the outcome!!!
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 01-08-2013 2:48 PM In reply to

Your add-ons make this awesome BB! Good job.
  • 01-08-2013 3:51 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:
    Wow okay so I am flattered considering I thought I'd look silly for this one and so glad Spider and Jayce asked me to share since folks are liking it! I am not a baker and I cheat and do random extras and actually thought this might sound silly... it honestly is delicious though!!! If anyone tries this or tweaks it please let me know the outcome!!!

BB, I think I will add chocolate chips to it too! I think the tastes of chocolate, banana, coconut and ananas will come together very nicely!

I'm glad you tried baking! Using a mix is fine! Why not?! You get practice in mixing and baking it, and later, if you like, you can start to measure and mix your own ingredients! Glad you dared to try it!

To tell you the truth, I have not baked for a long time, due to several reasons, but this suggestion of yours just made me want to begin to bake again. So did Jayce's post a few days ago! She suggested we'd use half the sugar in baked goods, and that's exactly what I will do because of my (fairly newly diagnosed) diabetes. The medicines and diet really help, and I think I could have a low sugar cake at times. Thanks so much to the two of you!

Helene

• 01-08-2013 5:41 PM In reply to

This sounds delicious. Love the pineapple and coconut.
  • 01-08-2013 8:19 PM In reply to

Oh, this sounds amazing, creative, and delicious!
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us