Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

UN-needed Grocery Items, Un-Needed Extra Expenses

Last post Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:32 PM by LCache. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:37 PM

UN-needed Grocery Items, Un-Needed Extra Expenses

There are certain grocery items we buy that we may not really need but more so just want. Sometimes we can make these things at home for cheaper but don't alway resort to that. These extra items just add extra to the bill.

Condiments, beverages, quick snack foods, etc. are some good examples of these items. What are some grocery items you have found you and your household really don't need to be spending extra on? Have you stopped buying them? If so, are you making them at home instead? buying as treats? eliminating in general? If you are still buying them, are you buying them less to help save money? Please share what kind of changes you are making or would like to make to spend less on the un-needed extras and save more in return. It would be great if you would like to include how much you have saved by making these kinds of mindful changes.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:59 PM In reply to

Re: UN-needed Grocery Items, Un-Needed Extra Expenses

Im bad really bad on this one condimnts,and soda these things are costing to much. Now b.b get more people to answer this I don't want to get in trouble with this one.

Condiments

soda

candy

prepared foods that can be made ourseles but to lazy to fix it Hmm

Cindy ---
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:50 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

condiments? why are they unnecessery?   ketchup, mustard, chile sauce, mayo?  who wants to make it from scratch.  

of course the half price chocolate is not needed lol

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Fri, Jan 4 2013 12:19 AM In reply to

Martha, I find condiments to be extras not mandatory food items for our household. Everyone is different though. They may be important to you while less important to others. Who wants to make them? Well, a lot of folks who have health or money concerns prefer to make them at home when they are able or need to. A lot of folks here make their own condiments and find it cheaper and healthier. Some may want to be more resourceful as that is important to many... Some don't even buy or use condiments like the ones you listed and enjoy foods in their more natural state or in more natural ways so to say. Surely there are things we have all bought at some point in our lives that really were not needed and just more of a want thing. To each their own. Right now I am in the process of figuring out what's important and what really isn't important while I decrease our grocery budget/spending. It's helping me save to identify the budget breakers and break them out before they break me down LOL My issue isn't so much condiments and quickie foods but more so gourmet items that rack up the bill just as bad. They need to become treats here not weekly indulgences.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Jan 4 2013 8:49 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

DS#2 makes condiments for his wife. She has corn allergies and most of these have corn syrup in them. Dont know if it is cheaper or not. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:48 AM In reply to

That's very nice of him Babs. Sometimes it can be cheaper and sometimes it isn't to make our own. I think it all depends on one's situations, needs and access/availability. Some grow their own foods and are able to make "extras" with their harvest so it limits the cost... same for those raising their own meat... eggs... making their own dairy, etc.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:45 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

My un-needed grocery item is pop. I enjoy diet cherry coke quite a bit. I'm down to one can a day, and I buy the store brand (which I actually prefer). I guess I justify it to myself because it's cheaper than buying a can of pop from the machine at work.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:24 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Posts 10,850

I can see for you bb since you aren't a sandwich eater that you don't need things like that much.  

I can see with some condiments like salad dressings but unless you use a lot of mayo, making it fresh isn't cost savings because it doesn't last. or mustard from scratch.  I buy maybe 2 of each mayo, ketchup (you can get corn syrup free ketchup from hunts) mustard and asian chili sauce a year.  I get soya sauce called ketchup (indonsian) because that is what I like.   bbq sauce is maybe 3-4 bottles a year,  maybe chili sauce, hp etc for a special recipe.  ketchup I use for meatloaf mainly or for guests because no one in the house really eats it.  things like honey mustard once in a blue moon.  2-4 jars of different types of relishes for hotdogs and hamburgers.

salad dressings is what get thrown out the most. dh likes only likes ranch, thousand islands etc but doesn't eat salad much so they expire. second is the mayo.  I like kraft balsamic vinegar/oil and that never seems to go bad so I keep it long  past the date.

to each their own! 

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 2:05 PM In reply to

Martha, yes it really all depends on what one uses and needs for the household. You know, our households eat VERY differently. A lot of the stuff you buy I don't and a lot of the stuff I make your family would throw a royal fit over lol This we have established. Condiments and such may be staples over here while more forgein over here. I do use them, some I buy, some I make, but do not use them like you folks do where they seem to be literal staples. In that case I understand they be a "need" to you and more of just a useless want to me. So don't worry, I get it! and more power to us both for knowing the most frugal ways to make these things happen when need be.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:19 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Posts 10,850

That is what the forums for everyone to take a what they need that works for their family!   now if anyone has a cheap recipe for french's mustard lol  at least mustard keeps a long time.

Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us