Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Holiday Debt

Last post Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:23 AM by Brandy. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 2:17 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Holiday Debt

Do you have debt from the holidays?

• Yes (15.4%)
    • No, we paid for decorations, food and gifts in cash. (84.6%)
    • Total Votes: 26
    The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 2:17 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Holiday Debt

If you are in debt from charging for gifts and holiday foods, do you have a plan to get out of debt?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 2:46 PM In reply to

Yes, we no longer go into debt without a way/plan to get out of it. AM
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:44 PM In reply to

We had to put a few things we ordered online on credit but I just paid one off today (Kohl's) and DH paid the other card off (Discover) last week.

I know we could use debit online but I had both websites set up with the credit cards and it expidited our shopping. We had a plan to pay off once we both got paid Dec 31st.

Erika
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:46 PM In reply to

I do have a small amount on my credit card for several items ordered online. It will be paid off very quickly and will not acrue any interest.
    budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:47 PM In reply to

I  ordered nothing via credit cards.  I used my debit card.  I was a little nervous that this Christmas looked alittle skimpy and it was hard for me to swallow, but my head told me that it is really important to be okay with a skimpy christmas.  I actually think we did okay and that maybe next year, it will get even skimpiier!  ;-)  No debt from Christmas, but I wasn't able to put money in my EF and that was a bummer.  

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:57 PM In reply to

Thankfully we didn't rack any holiday debt and paid cash for everything.  Well except for cookin items which I shopped from so not to much out except for our holiday ham and a few odds and ends.
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:36 PM In reply to

We have no holiday debt, either, which I consider a very nice gift we give to ourselves at the start of the new year. 

We bought presents over the enitre year of 2012, and were done shopping before Halloween.  Having all the gifts already made the wrapping & celebrating all the sweeter over Thanksgiving, since there was no "holiday shopping" stress.

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:33 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

WE have $300 on American Express.  This was for things ordreed online.It will be paid off by Feb.1st., Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:17 AM In reply to

I paid mostly with my debit card and have almost finished collecting from my siblings for a tv we bought for my parents. That is on a 0% interest card, still in it's promotional period, which is 18 months. I am saving a lot of interest with the use of this promotional card, soon I will tackle it, but not until the interest rate goes up. I am working on some others during this period.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us