Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Picky kids on a budget

Last post Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:39 AM by BargainBinge. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 9:26 AM

• lbd301
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 15 2007
    • NJ
    • Posts 8

Picky kids on a budget

Hi All,

I really need your help/suggestions.  I have two boys, 8 & 10.  I didn't raise them to be picky.  They ate veggies and fruit when they were babies!  Now I can barely get a veggie in them without a major fit, and fruit is so-so.  My 8 y/o has mild ASD, so part of his problem is sensory.  It's been a tough year for us, and I just told DH that we really need to tighten our belts for 2013.  He's not happy that I told him we need to cancel the cable tv service!  I would like to cook more frugally, but I don't know how to get it accomplished with such picky eaters.  DH is not picky at all, I am, but not that bad.   Here are the things my kids typically eat: Beverages:They drink milk & water most of the time.  Juice (V8 Fusion) sometimes, other drinks on rare occasions. Breakfast:protein drink made with 1/2 banana, 1 scoop protein powder, 12 oz. milk. (10 y/o)cold cereal, typically Krave or Cinnamon Toast Cruch (generic versions when available) (8 y/o)waffles (8 y/o)

pancakes (both)

bacon/sausage/taylor ham Lunch: (our school doesn't have a working cafeteria, just to sit and eat.  They have a hot lunch program, but it's around 3.50-4.00 a kid)Taylor ham (pork roll) & cheese sandwich (we're in NJ!)Chef Boyardee (generic) Beefaroni onlyMeatballs w/ketchupcheese (as a sandwich or quesadilla) (8 y/o)PB&J (8 y/o) (10 y/o will only eat Uncrustables, not homemade)Apple & PB (10 y/o)Crackers & PB (10 y/o)Bologna & cheese (8 y/o) Dinner:Pasta (lately with butter/cheese, sometimes with sauce)Cheeseburgers & fries (baked)Tacos (10 y/o) (8 y/o will eat it if I sit and feed it to him, with complaints)Chicken nuggets, breaded chicken (homemade or frozen)Pork chops (10 y/o, 8 y/o will eat if breaded)

Turkey (10 y/o)

Hot dogs & keilbasa (both)

That's pretty much it! They will not eat:

Tomatoes, or chucky sauce

Salsa

Most veggies, except green beans, peas & carrots (10 y/o), corn (10 y/o)

Ground beef that is not shaped like a meatball or burger (8 y/o)

Chicken/pork/turkey that is not breaded

Casseroles (this drives me nuts, because I could save soo much money making them!)

Potatoes of any prep except fries

Yogurt (they used to eat it, but are “off” it right now, and it has to be fruit flavored with no chunks of fruit)

Sorry for the really long post!  Hope somebody has some suggestions.  I’m not gourmet cook, but I can make my way through a recipe, or wing it!

Thanks!

Lauren

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:07 AM In reply to

Re: Picky kids on a budget

I will preface this by pointing out that this can be a controversial subject. Any suggestions made you will have to decide ultimately what will be good for your family as you know them better than anyone.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:16 AM In reply to

• lbd301
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • NJ
    • Posts 8

Sunshine, what is controversial about it?  The core of my question comes down to, any tips on how I can feed my family frugally.  Adding in what they do and don't like just serves to give everyone an idea of what I'm up against.  I welcome any advice, and did not mean to come off as posting anything controversial.

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:24 AM In reply to

I can't speak regarding the sensory issues; the only thing my DD (age 8) can't eat is jello b/c of the texture. As for general pickiness... well, this is controversial. I learned it from the Tightwad Gazzette. We made a rule that DD could not complain about the food served; she could express that she did not care for something, but no whining allowed. If she did complain or whine, there was a warning. If it happened again, I would add extra of the offendig item to the plate and she was expected to eat it. She would get aroud 30 minutes to eat and after that the plate was put away and she went to bed without. We did this a few times over a couple of years and we generally don't have problems. DD eats what is set in front of her and genuinely likes most foods. On the other side of this is that DH and I also respect DD's likes and dislikes. For example, DD loathes meatloaf, so when I fix it I'm sure only to give her a couple of bites. Good luck!
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:26 AM In reply to

lbd301:

Sunshine, what is controversial about it?  The core of my question comes down to, any tips on how I can feed my family frugally.  Adding in what they do and don't like just serves to give everyone an idea of what I'm up against.  I welcome any advice, and did not mean to come off as posting anything controversial.

You didn't post anything controversial; I'm saying the responses could be.
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:47 AM In reply to

• lbd301
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • NJ
    • Posts 8

OK, I see.

I do make my kids eat things I know they "should" like.  I don't make them sit at the table until they're done.  If it's something new, they need to try a few bites.  If they don't like it, (like, they're gagging), I'll give them something different, or they'll eat something else on the plate that they like.  If it's something we've had before, and I know they like it (but tell me they don't), I tell them that's what's for dinner and if they don't want it, they don't have to eat it, but they won't be getting anything else.

I tell them all the time, I wouldn't give you something that's not good, because I'm picky and I wouldn't eat something that wasn't really good. LOL!

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:48 PM In reply to

I know what you are going through. We told both of our kids that all meat was chicken until they both got old enough to read just to get them to eat meat. DS was really picky and still is to a point. I would cook at least one thing in the meal that I knew DS would eat so I knew he wouldn't starve. As he got older I would tell him if he didn't like it he could fix himself something to eat, I wasn't a short order cook. What helped alot at my house was that DS would go to friends houses and try different things there because that was what was being served. He still doesn't eat green vegetables or pasta other than grandma's raviolis( has texture issues). He finally eats rice, oatmeal and salad without salad dressing and he is a healthy 20 year old.
    Riley
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:56 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

lol I hear you! I have a fussy family.  dh has allergies (nuts, seeds, grains, eggs) and lots of dislikes.  ds and dd don't like the same things.  casseroles are out here too plus tomato sauces.  they eat fruit so I am lucky that way.   dd is the only one who likes homemade soups. she likes pb and ds doesn't.  yin and yang.  They have to try everything because I am getting tired of it. they get spoiled at the grandparents so gets harder.   Uncrustables I think were sold here for about a week (in canada) but not popular.  frankly I wouldn't buy them esp when you can make them easy at home.  I just get cereal like rice krispies, cornflakes  healthier ones.  no treats unless they eat.  and if they didn't eat the packed lunch I would start saying no treats because if you can eat them but nothing else means you aren't really hungry. I only buy juice boxes. don't buy bologna or lunch meats like that. 

frankly going hungry can work. Most of the food I make they like and I will just have plain noodles or ravoli for the kids or just dd with shredded cheese on them. we do have a lot of kid friendly stuff like pizza, hotdogs kd, grilled cheese. partly because of dh cooking skills and frankly that is what he likes.   I just get creative like bananas slices with a little choc syrup is a banana split. things they say to do with babies I do on dh and kids lol   plus dh' s mom was a plain cook back in the day so he actually likes a lot of things he didn't before like homemade mac and cheese because he never had it growing up just kd.

dd will drink yogurt drinks but not yogurt so I get them on sale or half price for them. you can make them easy enough.  things like apples and pb.  plus some things are not as bad as they used to be like kraft dinner.  plus I make them eat vitamins.   sneaking veggies into smoothies...

the kids will eat alphagetti at my moms but not at home for example.  frankly i have gained a lot of weight eating dh way because my family is not a pleasure to cook for but that is going to change. kids are 8 and 10 so the tastes need to grow up too.  dh knows to shut up lol    when I am working I am sure they don't eat fruit or veggies for days.   

I have been teaching the kids you need to eat something healthy before eating junk. and when then don't I point it out why they feel crappy or hungry fast.  for example the kids want to eat their choc letter from xmas and ds didn't have breakfast so he had a banana. first.  also servings for kids are smaller.   

somethings well we all ate pb sandwiches for days for school lunch and survived. of course that was before the days of allergies.  the 70's lol   

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 1:05 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

GD has always had an aversion to any ground meats she has neverr been able to tolerate them so I have never made her eat those.  As an infant through to about age 4 she could not tolorate an white foods but since she ate such a well rounded diet I didn't see a problem and she eventually outgrew that aversion.

With those exceptions she may choose to eat what is on the table or do with out.  She does help plan and prepare meals and helps with shopping and putting away which I think helps as she feels she is making choices too.

Have you tried some finger veggies?  Not sure of the rest of the country has cheap celery rightk no, but we do.  What about cutting celery in 4' lenghs and filling with peanut butter then add a few raisens for 'bugs on a log'  I used to know a bunch more, there was one that you sliced a cherry tomatoe in half and added some other things, and put it on a cracker to make a lady bug

Babs has a daycare so maybe she has some ideas for making veggies more appealing.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 1:48 PM In reply to

• lbd301
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • NJ
    • Posts 8

LOL, I tried telling them turkey was chicken, or that it tasted just like chicken.  Same with pork, but it has to be breaded.  I made them oatmeal and put chocolate chips in, so it was like chocolate oatmeal.  Even that they wouldn't eat!  They will eat pretty much any pasta, but not filled, like ravioli or manacotti.

I have thought about just cooking what I want and telling them to suck it up, with the thought that eventually they will.  Will they? :)  DH is not as willing though, he caves.  In fact, the only time there is soda in the house is if he brings it home, or if one of us is sick, there's ginger ale.

For school lunches, I don't usually send a treat.  We're not allowed to send "unhealthy" things to school anyway.  They may get some teddy grahams with Nutella for a treat.  We have homemade (including crust) pizza every Friday night that they love, but 10 y/o won't eat it leftover at school.  They eat a lot of meatball and pepperoni hot pockets, which I also hate giving them, but I need a little variety.

Grame, 10 y/o likes celery w/ranch or PB sometimes.  Neither of them like raisins.  He will also eat carrots with ranch.  8 y/o recently started liking hummus, which I am thrilled about, but he will only eat it with chips, not veggies.

Thanks for all the input soo far!  Do any of you have some favorite frugal recipes that they may like?  Or tips on frugal cooking in general?  There's probably a thread on that already, I should go look...  Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us