Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

After Christmas/Boxing Day Sales..what have you bought?

Last post Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:37 PM by zohnerfarms. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 26 2012 8:56 PM

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

After Christmas/Boxing Day Sales..what have you bought?

We have been good considering so far.   some things don't get marked down yet.    Michaels has sales on yarn and other things. plus coupons. got some homespun yarn 3.99 a skein plus some half price pom pom yarn. half price 2.49 a ball. there was a pillow pattern in front of it so bought enough for it.  the homespun just got 6 to make something of it. no plans yet. when it is cheap I just look at it and then what speaks to me.   and there was big felt xmas bags on for $2  org. $8 so got 4 for wrapping next year.  plus there was a 25% off on your whole order coupon too.   got 3 bags of candy choc 3 diff colours 3.99 a bag for mil since she got a cake pop machine for xmas. 

then toy traders store here had a boxing day sale 20% off new toys and 25% off clearance. they have lots of playmobil so dd spent her money and ds got some starwars lego.  I got some clearance playmobil stuff. the sale is on until jan 6 so maybe be back!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Dec 26 2012 10:37 PM In reply to

Re: After Christmas/Boxing Day Sales..what have you bought?

We went to Target this morning, where I bought one roll of gift wrap, three packs of shirt boxes, some tissue paper, a few gift bags, and a couple boxes of Christmas cards. Also found some sets of Christmas kitchen towels that will make really nice gifts next year, and got some Walker's shortbread. Everything was 50% off. I'd have bought some of the Christmas candy, but that was only 30% off ,so I'll wait a few days on that.

We got a lot less than we usually do at Target in the day-after sales; I don't know if it's because we really didn't need much in the way of Christmas supplies, or if there just wasn't the usual variety. We did pick up a couple of items that we later put back on the shelf--we just didn't feel like buying them, either for ourselves or as gifts for someone else. I think the frugal mindset we've been trying to cultivate more of over the past few years is finally starting to settle in. LOL!

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:34 AM In reply to

Martha you all should have a lazy holiday you all do earn it in your area..Cool buys there at the stores.

Cindy ---
  • Mon, Dec 31 2012 10:36 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Walmart had a lot of toys marked down Friday. I picked up two Zhu Zhu pets and a Zhu Zhu playset for $12. I paid $10 each for her other pets, geez. These are put away for my daughter's birthday in July.

I got gift wrap for next year at .50 at the grocery store in town.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Dec 31 2012 11:32 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

wow brandy $10 for zhu zhu pets in your area?  I think $7 is about the most expensive ever.  now they are in dollarama for a couple of bucks. not that you want to hear that lol. picked up the hotel and couple of other things like that for $3 each.

only got some candy for stocking stuffers like lifesavers gummies books, some discounted xmas goodies and a box of cards lol though I haven't mailed any cards this year yet! 

not worrying about gifts for next year unless I see some awesome book or video game deals or craft kits at value village. always seems to be new stuff at the value village after xmas.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:10 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

MarthaMFI:
    wow brandy $10 for zhu zhu pets in your area?

Yep, the ones I bought last year were $9.99.

This Christmas I found a discount store carrying some of the playsets and snagged the salon for $2.50!! At another Mom got the big princess castle and coach for under $10 and I got  princess dresses for $2. My daughter had a whole set there to add to pieces she had. I was able to add to the animal collection witha  Furr Real friend at $5 and it fits these sets just fine.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:11 PM In reply to

I only bought wrapping supplies-- 4 rolls of paper, 1 pack of boxes, 1 pack of 10 mini gift bags, and 1 pack of gift tags. I think I spent around $10. One of the rolls is usable year-round. That's it so far. Wasn't a whole lot available but glad to have gotten this stuff b/c this year we were struggling to wrap the last few gifts as our supplies finally dwindled.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:27 PM In reply to

lubradern hand lotion. $3.95 for a 12 oz. it was on sale.

Cindy ---
  • Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:32 PM In reply to

• Hofmama
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 10 2008
    • Kentucky
    • Posts 590

New tennis shoes for the boys (I don't know if they eat their shoes or what, but they always wear them out before they outgrow them!).
  • Tue, Jan 1 2013 2:03 AM In reply to

I got a couple of things to go in Easter baskets (multi-colored light-up rubber duckies for 75 cents each! The girls will love them). I looked for some "pillow boxes", but couldn't find any at all. I did get some white tissue paper for 65 cents, which I was out of after this Christmas.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us