Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Christmas 2013

Last post Mon, Dec 23 2013 11:45 AM by MarthaMFI2. 150 replies.
Page 1 of 16 (151 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 25 2012 2:53 PM

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Christmas 2013

How soon will you start your Christmas shopping for 2013? Do you have an idea on what you are planning on buying everyone?
  • Tue, Dec 25 2012 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: Christmas 2013

The next time I go in a thrift store or a store with really good sales happening. No, I don't plan ahead, just get what I see that looks right. AM
  • Tue, Dec 25 2012 4:25 PM In reply to

I got a couple of presents already.  It's a traditions that I give Momma and SIL houseshoes and I caught some on markdown for $1 on DEC 23rd so I snatched up the 2 pr in their size and put them in my stash box.

I've also gone through my embroidery stash and chosen projects for each person on my list.  I need to pick yarn to make an afghan for baby brother.  DH and I have decided 1 handmade gift and a g/c for the adults next year.  1 handmade gift and a couple of small presents for each of the nieces/

retired 

• Tue, Dec 25 2012 6:27 PM In reply to

I've never been an early shopper, but this time I want to stock up on wrapping paper, ribbon and bows. I ran all over town the last couple days to find ribbon, of all things. So, I'll be looking for some good sales.
    budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Tue, Dec 25 2012 8:47 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

will wait and see. probably pick up some choc stocking stuffers but since we have all the parents bdays before the end of feb, we shop xmas sales for presents if possible too.   I pick up stuff all year.  Not going to stock up on as much because the kids tastes change too much now.   maybe some clothes or things like that. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Dec 25 2012 9:18 PM In reply to

MarthaMFI:

will wait and see. probably pick up some choc stocking stuffers but since we have all the parents bdays before the end of feb, we shop xmas sales for presents if possible too.   I pick up stuff all year.  Not going to stock up on as much because the kids tastes change too much now.   maybe some clothes or things like that. 

I was once an avid year-round shopper.  Now that the children are older, I find that the stocking up strategy doesn't work so well anymore.  Their tastes are changing, or they're earning and saving the money to buy their wish list items. 

I will stock up on "consumables" like beauty products -  with a houseful of young women, I can't go wrong.  Gift certificates for favourite stores, iTunes cards are good for stocking up too!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Wed, Dec 26 2012 8:30 PM In reply to

• smiles
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2010
    • Midwest
    • Posts 312

I found a few things today at 70% off...and additional coupons-so things have already started for next year.

I am going to start on some sewing projects would like to make pin cushions and some table runner. I'll start to see what fabrics I have in my stash and go from there.

I got Christmas cards, beautiful high quality paper, for $3 a box...super beautiful. I should probably get my forever stamps now...prices are going up next year.

• Wed, Dec 26 2012 8:35 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

too true timesagain!   a couple of months ago ds was out of starwars lego but now back in! and dd hadn't discovered playmobil so that was a big change. went shopping and they spent xmas money on lego and playmobil. 

clothes are more year round for deals. I actually got a bunch of good deals at childrens place a couple of weeks before xmas. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Dec 26 2012 9:03 PM In reply to

Adults / adult couples get baked goods. Teen nieces/nephews get GCs. The 2 younger nieces get a toy. I try to get the GCs thru mypoints or during Kroger's thing where you get 4x points. This all worked really well for us this year so will probably repeat next year. One of my nephews is moving into that inbetween time where he's still technically a teen but in college and an adult so not sure about him. Good thing I've got some time to figure it out!
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Dec 26 2012 9:07 PM In reply to

brenl:
    How soon will you start your Christmas shopping for 2013? Do you have an idea on what you are planning on buying everyone?

I have ideas for about half of the people on my list, & have already made some of the gifts.  Many of the gifts for Christmas 2013 will be hand made, as were many for 2012.

Page 1 of 16 (151 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us