Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

January 2013 One Harvest

Last post 01-04-2013 5:44 PM by Elsi. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-23-2012 2:42 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

January 2013 One Harvest

For those of you using, One Harvest, it's time to look at the menu and prepare your orders.

January Ordering

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-23-2012 2:47 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Re: January 2013 One Harvest

I like the looks of the More Than Enough box. It has a nice variety of foods and frozen veggies.

How are you all liking this program?

• 12-23-2012 5:36 PM In reply to

I always like looking at this Brandy and know you do too! How would you use the new stuff? I liked seeing strawberries added to the frozen veggie box, what a nice surprise for them! Looks like January is the kick start to some homestyle meals from the box contents... I think folks enjoy these comfort foods even more so in the winter too so will be greatly appreciative for the home front boost!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 12-23-2012 8:06 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    I liked seeing strawberries added to the frozen veggie box

I like that line up of frozen produce. It's not bad for the price.

Where I am, I can find peas, green beans and corn for $1 but everything else is more. We don't have the Dollar Tree here with the fridge section so the berries I used to get for $1 to bake with are not really accessible anymore.

• 12-23-2012 8:13 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    Looks like January is the kick start to some homestyle meals

My family loves homestyle cooking. I do as well but like to throw in some different cuisines and spice up the sides with veggies and fruits.

I'd use the thighs to make chicken stock and strip the meat to use for dishes like soups and stews.

Roast chicken breasts, field peas, roast okra and rolls sounds good.

Skilled fried ham slices, mashed potatoes and steamed squash.

Pan lasagna, lemon crusted green beans and garlic bread

Chicken breast filets, macaroni n cheese and corn

• 12-23-2012 8:46 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 11-12-2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

Nearest site to me is 30 miles away -- which isn't really a big deal, but I can't seem to see the distribution time without placing an order.  Since I also pick up my Bountiful Baskets produce co-op on Saturday mornings, it would be nice to know if it's possible to get from one location to the other in the time allowed.

• 12-23-2012 9:58 PM In reply to

Brandy, sounds great! You may have just helped menu plan someone's meal line up based on some of those ingredients you listed in your sample plan!

I'll have a look again and see what I can come up with...

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 12-23-2012 10:05 PM In reply to

In my area its secound harvest I do have one near seattle area there you can help out and get ma month worth of food if helping them load up carts and car trunks.

Cindy ---
  • 12-24-2012 1:12 AM In reply to

there used to be a thread on making menus from the programs when there was reg ones. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 12-24-2012 5:56 AM In reply to

Here are some ideas too:

Lasagna skillet with ground beef meat sauce; steamed green beans

Okra, corn and squash over rice mix

Mac and cheese healthed up with corn or if one did not want to use the cheese sauce packet they could use the pasta noodles in a chicken noodle soup with frozen veggies of choice from their box

Breakfast sausages and blueberry muffins

Frugal cheaters pea soup: defrost and puree frozen peas, add water, seasonings of choice, any produce on hand they might have at home like onions, celery, carrots, garlic, etc. and some of the ham in the box, heat on stove top. Quick and easy soup.

Cheater Potato-Sausage soup with mashed potatoes and sausage. They can use milk, water or homemade chicken broth from their reserved chicken bones from the box if they'd like...

Italian rice stuffed chicken breasts, steamed zucchini

Ideas above based on box ingredients only - the Italian rice stuffed chicken breasts would call for tomato/red sauce and dry Italian herbs/spices...most have the sauce on hand or at least access to a cheap can of it...

Wait Brandy, is it just me or does this $46 box seem really meat HEAVY??? I mean the meat alone would cost the amount of the box... in that case it's a really good deal. Did the box get meat-heavier or am I just out of the loop? I'm actually sitting here wondering how to even use all that meat in that 1 box! Seems like a really good deal this month ahead for those eating/feeding meat.

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us