Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Homeschooling and Autism

Last post Sat, Aug 3 2013 12:16 PM by MarthaMFI2. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:51 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Homeschooling and Autism

I am digging around for some information to help a friend. Conventional homeschooling materials do not always work well for autistic students. What do you think are good curriculm providers to look at and good resources?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:09 PM In reply to

• Hofmama
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 10 2008
    • Kentucky
    • Posts 590

Re: Homeschooling and Autism

A lot of it depends on the child's learning profile - do you know his/her sensory strengths/weaknesses? For example, my autistic son is a highly visual learner, with an auditory processing disorder. We used a LOT of PECS to start with (http://www.do2learn.com/ has a lot of free ones, as well as other good special needs resources) while teaching my son to read and communicate. Now that my son is a proficient reader, we do almost everything in writing, because it's so much easier for him to process. We also bought books on Montessori education, and prepared Montessori materials for him (we chose Montessori because she developed her materials working with special needs students; the materials are very tactile, and there's a strong emphasis on learning independence, self-regulation, and social graces in Montessori. This ebook is a good start: http://www.montessoriathomebook.com/).
  • Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:59 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I know the range for Autistic children is pretty broad but I don't really know the child personally nor have many details about his situation.

He is beyond the age of being taught to read; he is young teen now. They have been doing the public school battle with him for years. They moved to another state this past year and the schooling environments are very different there so they pulled him out to homeschool him. Now they are trying to figure out what to use and which methods might work.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Dec 13 2012 4:51 PM In reply to

• Hofmama
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 10 2008
    • Kentucky
    • Posts 590

Most of the families with autistic children of that age that I know do unit studies around their child's perseverative interests; we do it to a lesser extent (we spent a couple of months learning everything in the world about spiders, because that was my son was obsessed). Finding a good school for an autistic child is so hard; we're fortunate right now that my son's in a good situation, but always prepared to homeschool if/when that changes.
  • Sat, Aug 3 2013 12:16 PM In reply to

I think it depends on the level of Autism and frankly what the parents are willing to do. I know a new friend dd made left the homelearners to a different homelearners program so she can access the funds that would normally be used for a spec ed teacher for more tailored approach for him. More social stuff.  He is high functioning but I don't know if that is because he had therapy for a long time.   Another one the kids old school..school stonewalled her about coming to school. only a hour a day allowed and the mom isn't fighting it.  basically should be in grade two this year but has gone to school maybe a few hours.  non verbal but very bright.  Some schools tend make it difficult so parents give up so they don't have to deal with them. lots of cutbacks here in that dept.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us