Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Warming Winter Vegetarian Dishes/Meals?

Last post Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:41 PM by spiderdust. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (42 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 9 2012 7:20 PM

Warming Winter Vegetarian Dishes/Meals?

Please share some of your favorite vegetarian dishes/meals that work well in the winter and a hearty/filling enough to serve for suppers.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:14 PM In reply to

Re: Warming Winter Vegetarian Dishes/Meals?

Potato soup has always been a favorite winter meal for us, with onion & green beans added in.

• Mon, Dec 10 2012 4:00 AM In reply to

Zohner, I must agree and yes those green onions make a lovely fresh toppping with some fresh ground black pepper!!! I was never big on potato soup until this year. I had not experienced it much but started making it and mixing things up and really enjoy it.  Last night was Yukon gold potatoes, broccoli and cheddar! Yum!  Potato and leek or sweet onion is also delicious and humble, very yummy in a warm buttered bread bowl too with fresh herbs and green onion on top! Thanks for the great add on to this list we are starting here. I hope to see more people chip in and expand our list! Right now hearty vegetarian & vegan Italian zuppas are big on my love-list. I'm on an Italian kick so I'll chip in a nice vegetable layered lasagna or Italian vegetable casserole... filled or stuffed vegetarian pasta dishes - especially seasonal pumpkin or squash filled raviolis. Spinach is another kick of mine right now. I haven't made a spinach and potato au gratin but am thinking it would make a really yummy dinner dish. Yummm... I think I will menu plan that for this new week ahead!!!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:12 PM In reply to

Sorry BB, no help from me, as every meal here starts with a meat and then I fill in the sides.  If I even attempted to serve a vegitarian meal to this bunch they would have fits.  Tried it a few years ago and am still hearing about it.  Guess that is what I get for feeding ranchers and farmers.

• Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:02 PM In reply to

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2008
    • Posts 169

I like to do a big pan of roasted veg. Potatoes (white and sweet), carrots, fennel, onion, and brussel sprouts. Tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted at a high temp to get them nicely browned. Rosemary and thyme are good additions for extra flavor.
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:30 PM In reply to

I am in the same boat as Mtviolet, my guys are meateaters and vegetarian doesn't get very far with them. I do make vegetable soup but use some beef broth in it and serve it with lots of warm bread.  In the summer DH and I will eat portabella burgers but it is too cold to do any grilling now.
    Riley
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:08 PM In reply to

Violet and Riley, lol I do know that about you two over there and the men/folks. You both established that many times when I posted for vegetarian ideas... does not mean that you two personally don't have any favorites though. I wasn't asking what vegetarian dishes you feed your families but what are some of your favorite vegetarian dishes, just because they don't like something doesn't mean that you don't even if it's not something you make regular or at all for the family. Maybe somethings you have had that were vegetarian that YOU did like in your lifetime and could work well for a warm winter supper. That was the point. Everyone has their own palette and tastes.

• Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:17 PM In reply to

Here are some favorites that I love but can't make...

vegetarian lasagna

pasta sauce with roasted veggies, lots of diced tomatoes and baby shrimp

minestone soup

potato soup

roasted veggies with garlic and olive oil over pasta with shredded parmesan cheese

Riley
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 8:53 PM In reply to

Riley, you wrote those are some you love but "can't make"... why can't you make them?

• Mon, Dec 10 2012 9:24 PM In reply to

BB,

I can't eat most of them due to the ingredients that are in them. I made all of these when I was able to eat pasta sauce, and dairy items.  The one I miss the most is lasagna. I can make the potato soup using lactose free milk. I need to make it one night when DH and DD want clam chowder.

Riley
Page 1 of 5 (42 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us