Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Country Living and Self Sufficiency Books

Last post Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:33 PM by budgetwise. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 8 2012 10:47 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Country Living and Self Sufficiency Books

I am looking for recommendations on the best books for country living, self-sufficiency or homestead books. I have read a few over the last couple of years but I know some have a better collection of information over others.

Which is your favorite?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Dec 8 2012 1:58 PM In reply to

Re: Country Living and Self Sufficiency Books

mother earth news magazine and cindy likes her book the readers digest of back to basic its on amazon.com cindy had her book for 20 years taught her to cann and to garden and her favorite solar.

chrissanne
  • Sat, Dec 8 2012 6:13 PM In reply to

Not exactly books .. I like the Urban Farms and Hobby Farms magazines.  Both of them have stories on their web sites, too. Also check out Countryside magazine's web site for stories.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Sat, Dec 8 2012 8:18 PM In reply to

• ogram
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 19 2010
    • Posts 99

I second the Mother Earth magazine and their website and also second the Back to Basics book.  Also I frequent this website: http://www.countrysidemag.com/library.html

• Sat, Dec 8 2012 11:33 PM In reply to

LWolfT:

Not exactly books .. I like the Urban Farms and Hobby Farms magazines.  Both of them have stories on their web sites, too. Also check out Countryside magazine's web site for stories.

I have also found good info int he Hobby Farms magazine, and in Countryside.

• Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:12 AM In reply to

Country Living, by the late Carla Emery.  Any one of the books published by Backwoods Home, including the magazine. 

• Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:27 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

ogram:
    second the Mother Earth magazine and their website

I check out their website. What I would like to have is a small library of information that does not take up a lot of storage room but can be accessed even without internet or power.

I have a few books now but most have a little in this one, a little in that one. I want to add a few more that may cover more in one volume.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Dec 12 2012 3:52 PM In reply to

• Hofmama
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 10 2008
    • Kentucky
    • Posts 590

I second the suggestion of The Encyclopedia of Country Living, by Carla Emery. That sucker is the self-sufficiency bible.
  • Wed, Dec 12 2012 5:31 PM In reply to

As another poster mentioned "Mother Earth News" is an excellent magazine. They just came out with a sister magazine "Mother Earth Living." Also the website Joybille Farm lists free ebooks every day available at Amazon. If you have an IPad there is a Kindle app on it that which will allow you to read it... There is a book that goes over quite a lot called "Country Living" too. Have fun!
  • Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:36 PM In reply to

back woods blog I look at and mother earth news magazine new pioneer mag. back to basic from readers digest printting and pioneer woman and my back wood hill billies they got a great magazine.

Cindy ---
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us