Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Holiday Yard Decorating

Last post 12-14-2012 10:37 PM by cheapskate50. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2012 10:28 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Holiday Yard Decorating

Are you putting out yard decorations for Christmas this year?

We love looking at the lights and decorations each year but for the last couple, it seems that fewer people are taking the time or the expense to do this.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-08-2012 11:45 AM In reply to

Re: Holiday Yard Decorating

My DH always puts up decorations outside. He has his lights and lighted holiday greetings to put up. He loves decorating for the holidays. I have to make him leave part of the decorations in the garage because he thinks we need to use everything that we have collected over the years.
    Riley
  • 12-08-2012 11:56 AM In reply to

lights mostly! 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 12-08-2012 10:45 PM In reply to

Not this year, but my city does Christmas pretty thoroughly so there are lots of lights to see.

Once we're settled, I'd love to have the whole shebang.

We have a neighbor who has a big old house all covered in lights and amazing freestanding trees. He has a shortwave radio frequency and he broadcasts Christmas music that you can tune your car radio in to while you watch his lights go in time to the music. His house is opposite a parking lot and it's always full at night with families watching the show.

I'll see if he's on youtube anywhere, you should see it!

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."
  • 12-08-2012 10:48 PM In reply to

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erTGBYR9V-4

My DF says it's a computer program that syncs the lights with the music. We went over at Thanksgiving and the house was already all set up with lights. The really big tree on the left of the screen is an old trampoline frame at the bottom with wires going up.

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."
  • 12-08-2012 11:01 PM In reply to

movingrightalong:

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erTGBYR9V-4

My DF says it's a computer program that syncs the lights with the music. We went over at Thanksgiving and the house was already all set up with lights. The really big tree on the left of the screen is an old trampoline frame at the bottom with wires going up.

I have seen something like this in seattle I know its done with all sorts of lights and goodies this is nice thank you for sharing this from utube.

Cindy ---
  • 12-08-2012 11:13 PM In reply to

You're welcome Cindy. It's such a lot of fun to go and watch. Nice for people who aren't too mobile to be driven out to see decorations and lights too.

• 12-08-2012 11:26 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    Are you putting out yard decorations for Christmas this year?

We have 5 angels, a shepherd & a flock of sheep - this year there are 9 of them.  The angels & sheep each use a 4 or 7 watt bulb, most of the 4 watt, which makes the display cost less than one 60 watt bulb per hour.  We only turn it on at dark & off by 9:30 or 10pm.  

We quit putting lights on the house itself, back when we lived in Idaho, due to both the expense & the damage caused by the wind. As we have gotten older, it is much easier to set up the display, on the front lawn, than to climb all over the house to put up lights. 

I enjoy our little heavenly host appearing to the shepherd & his flock.  For me, it is more representative of our view of the Christmas season.  I have been looking at thirfts for the last couple years for another shepherd, but have yet to find one.

• 12-09-2012 7:12 PM In reply to

We're just doing lights this year .. as usual. A few more of my neighbors have put out lights this year, I notice,
  • 12-09-2012 9:39 PM In reply to

More of our neighbors are putting up lights this year, too.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us