Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

2013 goals

Last post 06-08-2013 6:46 PM by tracyinmn. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2012 8:16 PM

• mary w.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-27-2007
    • Austin texas
    • Posts 465

2013 goals

I am looking forward to 2013.  Our lives have changed tremendously in the last 3 months.  We will be starting a whole new approch to our spending and saving next year.  The economy has me on edge, but I don't exactly have any control over it, so I must try to take control over our finances.  Has the economy or your personal situation changed enough this year that you will be doing things differently this next year.  If so, what changes will you be making? What are your goals.  We have been caretakers for so long that we have never really had much control.  We have just been surviving.  I would like to take care of my family now and see to our needs.  Its been along time since what we wanted or needed came first.  So I am scared and excited.  If your could share your goals or the changes you are making, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

mary w.
    Filed under:
  • 12-06-2012 9:46 PM In reply to

Re: 2013 goals

mary w.:
    I am looking forward to 2013.  Our lives have changed tremendously in the last 3 months.  We will be starting a whole new approch to our spending and saving next year. 

Since my knees forced me into retirement, we are also undergoing change in our lives in 2013.

mary w.:
    If your could share your goals or the changes you are making, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

First a little background: I sat down & made a page on the computer for each room in the house, listing ALL the things that either need to be done, or that we would like to do.  For instance, on the "front yard" page & also on the "library" page, was listed "storm door - front door".  I used the last of my hospital Christmas bonus from 2011 & some Home Depot gift cards to bring the cost of the storm door from insane to reasonable. That is now competed, so I moved it to the top of both lists & typed "DONE" beside it. Most recently, last week I build rustic hinged shutters to sit on the wide window ledge in front of our guest bedroom window. The room is decorated in rustic western, so they fit, but more importantly, the cedar from the fence boards that I used will not sun-rot the way the curtains that hung there before did, & since the fence boards were free from a neighbor redoing part of her fence, the only cost of the hinged shutters was the hinges!  That is one of the hallmarks of the goals this year - since I am not working, nearly all the materials have to be free: either things I already have, or that I can find on freecycle or craigslist.  There are some things on the lists that will be expensive, like converting a tub to a walk-in shower, for which we will have to save, but that will need to be done sometime in the next 5 years. So 2013 will be doing all the "free" things on the lists.

1) In 2013, one of my goals is to build an arbor for my grapevine, over the garden seat I built this year from 4 cinder blocks & more of the cedar fenceboards. I have the wood for the crosspieces at the top, from the shipping base of the tool cabinet the kids gave DH for Father's Day this year.  I also have some of the heavier cedar boards that used to be top & bottom edges for the fencing, that are at least 2" thick, & that I believe will work just fine for the uprights.  Then more of the fence boards for the crosspieces from back to front.  I want the arbor, because growing the grapevine up & over it will improve the yield & quality fo the grapes.

2) I am pushing back the boundaries of our growing season, using glass cloches, to grow lettuce outside the normal seasonal boundaries.  I have 4 small glass domes from cheese boards, & one large one from a cake plate, in the garden right now, with Marvel of 4 Seasons lettuce growing under them  It is not exactly a bumper crop, but it doesn't have to be, with only the 2 of us, & it IS growing.  Last week I picked up another small cheese dome from freecycle, so come spring, I have 5 small cloches to use, plus the large one.

3) Our garden produced very well this year, partly because I was home to water it during the triple digit heat, I think.  I fill all of our jars, & over the winter months, we will be eating lots of soups & stews made from what we put up from our garden. I expect that to help the budget when the taxes go up. I usually dig leaves into one of the 3 tiers of the garden every year, but this year I dug leaves into 2 tiers already & am working on the third, because the leaves are free fertilizer, & I suspect it will be a good idea to have a productive garden next year as well.

4) I bought Christmas presents all year in 2012, & expect to do the same in 2013.  I was able to make some gifts, & bought others at severely reduced clearance prices, which has really helped the holiday budget. This year I was done by mid-October, & hope to be done even earlier in 2013.

• 12-07-2012 1:51 AM In reply to

Zohner,

I was able to buy gifts without debt, for the first time in a long time. Plan on that as well. 

My house is underwater (by about $40K) and I am reluctant to put money in when I don't know what might happen. I will have to rip down a solarium I have. 

I plan to pay off a credit card and start paying student loans. I will have one back in college next year, if all goes well. I will have to see how that will go. 

While my plans are not very concrete, I will be able to start getting out of debt. I will also have to find some health insurance. 

• 12-07-2012 7:48 AM In reply to

Some great ideas here!

I really like the "do free things on "to do" list".  That is now one of my goals, Zohnerfarms!

Will keep checking back for more ideas.

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 12-07-2012 9:40 PM In reply to

1. Pay off ny vehicle.

2. Switch car payment to credit card.

3. Make more handmade Christmas presents.

re-tired

• 12-07-2012 11:13 PM In reply to

1.Get married

2. Get my own debt paid off since I paid off dh's old hospital bill off now is my turn to paay my own delpt off.

3. get emergancy savings started

4. put 5 percent of my paycheck into savings for retirement and match up my own 401K plan

chrissanne
  • 12-15-2012 1:12 AM In reply to

Indifferent [:|] Re: 2013 goals

I don't have any new goals this year, except to stay on track with what I am doing now, and stay mindful in what I am doing (no time to be lax). I tend to have too many people making plans for me that are not in my best interest, and I need to keep in mind that my own responsibilities come first. I guess that's two goals.
  • 12-15-2012 7:53 AM In reply to

• ogram
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2010
    • Posts 99

I have one more paycheck for this year and I plan on checking my pantry for any needed items in near future and add with groceries as normal but in 2013 I want to not buy groceries for as long as possible and see how far we can go on what we have.  My husband is not too excited about this but I told him we can make a game out of it.  The only concern is for milk.  I have frozen milk in the past by opening, using about three inches out of a gallon, resealing and freeze.  I don't want to buy a container for extra milk but if I don't prepare for later I will end up going to the store for milk and then do the "oh, I need this, this, and that" and then the game would be over.

This may seem kind of silly for a goal but I would like to try it and just see how far into the New Year we can get.  I'm thinking when I have to ration food or watch amounts we won't eat as much.  Wink

• 12-15-2012 9:09 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Ograme, rather freezing and unfreezing your milk, you might want to think about freezing it in much usable smaller amounts.  If you are using your milk for primarily cooking, you might want to think about picking up some powdered milk to use instead.  

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 12-15-2012 12:02 PM In reply to

Inflation fighter [IF] Re: 2013 goals

Ogram, I recently moved and wanted to use up everything in my refrigerator and pantry rather than move it. I went a month without grocery shopping. After my move I bought powdered milk for the pantry, I haven't tried it yet, but might start using that entirely, since I only use it for cereal, it will be much more convenient.
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us