Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Getting a Budget Started

Last post Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:37 AM by eyrehead. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:02 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Getting a Budget Started

Starting a successful budget takes planning and dedication to managing your money. Once you know what your set expenses are and what you are spending; the rest is just in making sure you aren't going over the amounts you have set.

Make a first draft of expenses. Write down what your set expenses are and what you average in other categories. You can use this worksheets to help you to list your expenses and average spending.

Budgeting worksheet

Houseclicks budgeting sheet

Dave Ramsey's Tools

Now you have an idea of what your obligations are and what you estimate other spending to be. What should you be spending in each category?

Check out what The Dollar Stretcher suggests   http://www.stretcher.com/stories/10/10jan04b.cfm

If you haven't tracked your spending to see where you are putting non set expense money, things like groceries, fuel and eating out; set yourself up to track all your spending for a month. Now you know what you are spending.

Get a new page for your budget or use a plan that allows you to put in these real figures. If you need to cut back then look for ways to lower your expenses. We can help if you need tips on spending less!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:42 PM In reply to

Re: Getting a Budget Started

What a ouch if the d/s said 35  percent for the morgageand wow wee the food be high maybe if the morgage can't be settled cut down on a food budget alittle and the car payments that should be paid off as soon as possible the cvar I don't have any car payments I poay it off but Im guilty of electronic stuff and fuel cost is up high should take buss and electroni stuff should be a no period on my account .. But the spread sheet thanks brandy this Im working at now fr next year at least I know what Im guilty of.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:02 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

sissy:
    What a ouch if the d/s said 35  percent for the morgageand wow wee the food be high maybe if

For some, meeting those percentages is hard with the rise of costs. It's why so many are realising they have to make changes in how they handle money or downsizing in houses when they can.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Feb 1 2013 1:04 AM In reply to

Setting up a budget is relatively easy; the hard part is sticking to it and having the discipline to live below or within your means. When you first set up a budget, make sure that you have the dedication to properly manage your money. List down all of your necessities and the unnecessary items or things that you usually spend on and once you know what your expenses are, you can cut down on some of the unnecessary areas so you can save some money. Then, all you need to do is to make sure that you do not go over the amounts you have set or else you will defeat the purpose. I always budget money and I always list down my expenses. However, when I just write my expenses on paper, sometimes I tend to forget, thus, I use an application for my smart phone that can automatically compute my expenses. I also regularly check my 3 credit scores on my phone, allowing me to keep track of my financial standing easier.
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:11 AM In reply to

I read this and i do agree with that starting a successful business takes planning and dedication to managing your money. Once we have set all these things then we can use this worksheets to help us to list your expenses and average spending.

http://thirdstream.ca/
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 10:18 AM In reply to

Communication, communication, communication! So important when more than one person is involved in budgeting. At our house we have one week we review the budget, one week we pay all the bills, one week where we set up the next month's budget and one week where we talk about future plans. This seems a bit much but most times it only takes a few minutes and everyone is on the same page when it comes to spending/making money. And, don't forget to track your accomplishments! It helps keep you inspired!
  • Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:58 AM In reply to

Kassy:
    Communication, communication, communication! So important when more than one person is involved in budgeting

I agree. One person alone can not keep the budget going if another spends with no regard to it.

Spouses, partners, families must be in agreement on plans that impact their money and spending.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 8:25 PM In reply to

I make out a new budget each month. My biggest obstacle is my rent is $800 a month, while my income, ssi, and a little in food assistance, my ssi is $721/month; food stamps =$72/month. Please dont tell me I need to find a cheaper place to rent; it took me nearly a year to find an accessible decent rental, within my children's school district, since due to the effects of my stroke, I am currently unable to drive, so knowing im in their school district, improves my odds considerably of getting joint custody, when this divorce crap is finally over!!! I lived off of a lump sum temporary spousal support payment. I was able to pay my rent for 6 months, as well as my utilities, medical and prescription costs, right now, the ex, is dragging his feet, I believe in hopes that I will be evicted, and forced to leave the school district. Hes already lied and accused me of having my boyfriend move in, which isnt true, its just an ugly mess all around, and our kids are paying ghr price for it.
    ~*~Angie~*~

• Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:37 AM In reply to

I just wanted to add, the agreement between my stbe, upon separation was basically as follows: I received a lump sum of $10,500- of this, $2500was paid to my attorney for my ongoing legal fees; $2400 was paid to my landlord, gor my security deposit(1600), and first months rent, $487, paid for propane, $100 deposit to the water company to put bill into my name, I spent approximately $300 on groceries, and household supplies, an additional $250 for curtains, rods, and other household essentials. The agreement was such, that I could not ask my ex for additional temporary support until after, August 1, 2013. I stretched what was left until , mid September. I paid rent, electric, phone, and dish bills for 6 months, when I missed my September rent payment, I informed my attorney, to which we were told by opposing counsel thst brian could not afford to pay me any additional support, but offered to give me MY 2006 Ford Expedition, but thst it had to be sold to cover my ongoing legal expenses, I agreed to sell it, but not to including it as part of tge divorce settlement considering the vehicle is in MY name; to date my vehicle is still in his possession, as well as various other valuable belongings of mine, my jewelry, my cameras, my purses and hsndbags(dooney & Bourke, coach, Vera Bradley, etc.),my cookbook collection, my pipka santa collection( my stepdad used to buy my sister and me a new pipka each year for Christmas- ihsve 10), and my nu step exercise machine, which he bought for me after the stroke, because it was one of the physical therapy exercises I loved. I could go on and on, i still waiting on copies of all the photos of our children, and half of all the holiday decorations, candles, etc. He still has mybaby pictures, and other fsmily photos and momentos. I can not wait for February 7th to get here!!!
    ~*~Angie~*~

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us