Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Mamma Mia Meatballs!?

Last post Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:41 AM by MamaJ. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:37 PM

Mamma Mia Meatballs!?

Nothing beats a good melt in your mouth meatball...I'm hoping to make some fresh for our Christmas Italian feast and getting excited! Let's share how we like to make our special meatballs. Do you mix meats or stick to one kind? or maybe you got meatless and make a killer good vegetarian or vegan one? Do you like to add diced veggies? lots of onion and/or garlic? and what about your favorite herbs and spices? How do you prefer to cook your meatballs? Hello, all things meatballs! Mamma Mia, Mangia Mangia!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Dec 1 2012 4:53 PM In reply to

Re: Mamma Mia Meatballs!?

OOOOh meatballs!  I could volunteer to make meatballs for one of the Christmas thingies.  No idea how yet except that I do them in a mini muffin tin with a small ball of foil in the bottom of each little cup to drain the fat.

re-tired  

• Sat, Dec 1 2012 4:53 PM In reply to

BB- sent you a PM

re-tired

• Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:59 AM In reply to

Re-Tired, thanks. I got back to you.

Bumping this post up until folks start responding, lol. I am sure that out of all the home makers here more than the two of us here are making meatballs?

I am curious to know what kinds of meat folks are using too and if you like to mix them? Some like to mix beef and veal... or veal and pork... etc. I think I may do ground Italian sausage there year...spicy might be nice too.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Dec 2 2012 12:02 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I make a couplle of recipes

# 1 

meatballs

3 lbs of beef

1 lbs of ground pork

4 cups of breatd crumbs

2 cups parmesan cheese  grated

4 Tablespoon parsley , minced

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 cup of milk

8 eggs

2 T salt

1/2 tsp pepper

mix all ingredients welll form 1 inch balls  place on a coookie sheet  bake at 400 for 20 minutes

I make these for meatbal sandwhiches and for spaghetti

Meatballs

4 pounds of ground beef

4 eggs slightly beateb

2 cups dried bread crumbs

1 T  salt

2 T cornstarch

1/4 tsp of pepper

2 tsb of Worcestershire sauce

preheat oven to 400  Mix all ingredients in  a large bowl . blend well  shape into 1 inch

meatballs . place on a ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10 to15 meats and bake 10  to 15 minutes .untiiuled ibrowned . remove immediatly and drain on paper towels  I put about 30 in a bag  and freeze  this makes about 144

we use this one alot for dishes and soups and other dishese .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:13 PM In reply to

I was at my neighbor's Christmas party last night and had a bowl of his awesome tortellini soup.  The meatballs were made from Italian sausage and were delish!  I think he mixed meatball mix half and half with the sausage.  Yumm.

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Sun, Dec 2 2012 2:43 PM In reply to

The best ones i make are a combination of bear and venison.  otherwise I would use beef and a little pork.

• Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:09 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I usually grind my own venison and pork..  IMO grinding them together makes a better end product.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:41 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I've generally just made meatballs from extra-lean ground beef. Found they could get a little dry until I found this recipe:

1 pound ground beef

2 T dried minced onion

2 T ketchup

scant 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

scant 1/2 cup oatmeal

1 egg

Form into balls and then put about a T of barbecue sauce on each one before baking. 

I myself prefer meatloaf but my family likes the meatballs, and they cook much more quickly anyway...

Edited to add the minced onion! Doing this from memory -- I think that's everything!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us